• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to fight Ness/Lucas as Mario

Sir_Africa

Smash Cadet
I'm having a hard time contesting Lucas/Ness as Mario. Their aerials seem to always stuff out mine, so I feel compelled to stay grounded most times. But if I do that then I'll have to continually deal with PK fire/Lucas' Zair. And vice versa! If I try to SH or jump at lot at them to punish lag from PK fires, they'll eventually begin to air to air me with Fairs and nairs. Overall, how can I play this match-up? I can't exactly get them to approach because they'll either swat away my fireball or absorb it.

Furthermore, the Yo-yo and Lucas Down smash at ledge always gets me, forcing me to recover high or do something else that they want me to do. How can I deal with getting back stage control?

Any general strats for a Mario main?

Last edited:

Mr Saturn Fanboy

Smash Apprentice
Mario's attacks have super high priority. Mario is also very acrobatic while still not being floaty.

What this means is that your d-air will literally negate damage from Ness' upsmash, or you can punch through an aerial. Its shockingly effective.

Also, your attacks linger for a long while, while still having maximum damage, so you can just melt through most offensive attackers. Because Ness and Lucas have attacks with only a few frames of hitboxes, as long as you move through them, you'll have no problem, as your hitbox will outlast ours.

You also have an amazing reflect, as it only takes a few frames to activate.

Pretty much just press :GCA: and shorthop a bunch and you're good to go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom