• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to enjoy the game?

Wobbuffet1924

Smash Rookie
Hello whomever sees this I would appreciate some advice
I was an avid smash 4 player and I thoroughly enjoyed the game I mained Charizard just as I had done in brawl (that’s right I mained just Charizard not the other two when they were avaliable) and played D3 among many other characters and did rather solidly placing in the lower half at locals but I was content but later in the games lifespan I began to do worse and worse causing me much frustration which,at first, was put forth as just internalized anger resulting from stress in other parts of life causing self harm and many broken controllers but as things around me changed I began to replace that anger with just sadness (I know this is long and dumb but bare with me I’m getting to the point) I was so excited for ultimate and I played the game whenever I wasn’t in college or working but I seem to do worse by the day and the constant losses only further pronounce my frustration and depression especially being torn between my past love for the game and the memories of playing with my father,who passed recently, and my cheating ex and old friends who used me and treated horribly.
Main point being should I continue practicing or is it a waste of time? I love the series so much and it has brought me such joy but as I began to see less enjoyment from many things in my life I don’t want my love for the game to go also..I enjoy it more when I play with people around me but all the people I usually played with are now gone in some shape or form...doing better at the game would help but that doesn’t seen reachable when my win rate is around 35% at an all time high does anyone have any advice on this or is that asking a bit much?

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If you love the series, I'd stick with it. But just try and remember it is just a game. Enjoy it for what it is. You said you were in college? If it is anything like the college I go to, there is likely some kind of gamer's guild or videogame club. Join it. Join it and make new friends that share the same interests as you do.

Welcome to

Click here to find out if there's a scene in your area.

Check out Premium for added features and fun.

Click here for the Forum Directory.

For online matches try one of the following links:
Check out the respective character boards for helpful tips.
Character guides can be found here.

Before you post please check out the Global Rules.

Keep up to date with the latest news here.
Light House is for general gaming discussions.
Check out the Pool Room to talk about Smash, life, sports, or whatever is on your mind.
Click here or here to socialize and have fun.

Check out the new Smash Connect forums for user based services including artwork and customization services.

If you need any assistance, don't hesitate to ask one of our friendly staff members. If you have site related questions, you can post them in this thread.

Props: Made by @WolfieXVII @Trieste SP @ Cyn Cyn and @Hong

:starman:Name changes :starman: Bigger avatar and signature :starman:
:starman: Post backgrounds
:starman:
:starman:Enjoy Premium-exclusive forum and giveaways:starman:
:starman:Support the Smash community and sign up today!:starman:

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
losing interest in things that you used to enjoy is a classic symptom of depression. you sound like you're in a rough place right now; i'd recommend not concerning yourself too much with your winrate in ultimate right now and try to see a psychologist or a therapist.

Wobbuffet1924

Smash Rookie
losing interest in things that you used to enjoy is a classic symptom of depression. you sound like you're in a rough place right now; i'd recommend not concerning yourself too much with your winrate in ultimate right now and try to see a psychologist or a therapist.
I do see one once I got realeased from the hospital a few years ago but he doesn’t really have helpful advice on this

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I think you should still play the game. I suffer from depression due to bipolar 1 disorder and anxiety and the game is a form of solace for me. It’s gotten me through breakups, through tough loses, through a lot over the years. I think you have to shift your mindset though. Don’t worry about winning and just have fun with the game like you did when you were a little kid. Try out new characters and moves, play with items, don’t compete for now, and just try out every aspect of the game. Keep going man and good luck on everything! You’ll get through this

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I’m going to go against the pack on this one. Drop Smash until you feel better, Smash is not a game that you should play if you are suffering from depression/ frustration. The game is highly competitive and it seems to be giving you frustrations as you lose, plus even side modes like World of Light will be full of irritating missions.

My advice is to do two things. One, go outside and try to interact with others. I used to be frustrated and cooped up in Sophomore year of high school, but I got over it Junior year once I started my first job and met tons of people I enjoy being around. My second piece of advice is to play more relaxing games. Keep Smash, but stop playing and opt for more personal and calm games. My suggestions would be The Legend of Zelda Breath of The Wild and Mario Odessey seeing as you have a Switch. You can also add Animal Crossing when it comes out. These games are great for being in a zen like mood where you feel really calm as the lack of competition and fast paced gameplay make them very relaxing. I also suggest turning on a video while playing as that usually takes your mind off things as you explore an open area with no real goal while listening to whatever makes you happy.

I wish the best for you and your involvement in the Smash community, but I feel leaving Smash alone for a while and collecting your thoughts may be good, which is why I suggest more open world, lose yourself type games such as BOTW. I can tell you from personal experience that playing BOTW with a video on the side is so nice and calming, and I feel satisfied even if I pretty much accomplished nothing.

Last edited:

Wobbuffet1924

Smash Rookie
I played breath of the wild fo
I’m going to go against the pack on this one. Drop Smash until you feel better, Smash is not a game that you should play if you are suffering from depression/ frustration. The game is highly competitive and it seems to be giving you frustrations as you lose, plus even side modes like World of Light will be full of irritating missions.

My advice is to do two things. One, go outside and try to interact with others. I used to be frustrated and cooped up in Sophomore year of high school, but I got over it Junior year once I started my first job and met tons of people I enjoy being around. My second piece of advice is to play more relaxing games. Keep Smash, but stop playing and opt for more personal and calm games. My suggestions would be The Legend of Zelda Breath of The Wild and Mario Odessey seeing as you have a Switch. You can also add Animal Crossing when it comes out. These games are great for being in a zen like mood where you feel really calm as the lack of competition and fast paced gameplay make them very relaxing. I also suggest turning on a video while playing as that usually takes your mind off things as you explore an open area with no real goal while listening to whatever makes you happy.

I wish the best for you and your involvement in the Smash community, but I feel leaving Smash alone for a while and collecting your thoughts may be good, which is why I suggest more open world, lose yourself type games such as BOTW. I can tell you from personal experience that playing BOTW with a video on the side is so nice and calming, and I feel satisfied even if I pretty much accomplished nothing.

Wobbuffet1924

Smash Rookie
I played breath of the wild fo
I played breathe of the wild for well over 100 hours but most of that was also with my father who loved the game...plus out of the frustration I’m pretty much completely out of controllers except for a stray joy con or two

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Stop playing and seek help. The game is only manifesting your mental issues. Resolve those issues. Find a better therapist if the current one isn't helping. Throwing things isn't even an anger issue, it's a rage issue. Please focus on more important matters. Ultimate will still be here. Take care of yourself. You will do better with the right attitude.

I am sorry for your loss.

Top Bottom