• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How To Edgeguard With Leaf Shield?

danyal999

Smash Cadet
So i started playing MM about 2 months ago and i've become really good at using all his tools. I can short hop lemons properly and can footstool combo 99% of the time, raw, off tomahawks, off aerials, off glide tosses etc. But 1 thing I barely use is leaf shield. I don't really know what to do with it. I only use it for the sonic matchup (because it beats spindash), and to avoid getting killed off grab confirms. I've seen Kameme do some nice edgeguards and gimps with it, so I was wondering what are all the ways to edgeguard with leaf shield. Are there any guides or anything? I think theres a good one that if you are grabbing the ledge with Leaf Shield and your opponent grabs on it aswell, then they drop below you because one of the leaves hit them, then you just drop down and footstool them or nair them into the stage and kill them. I just wanna know all the setups like that. Im sure leaf shield can destroy a recovering cloud in someways too. So yeah let me know please.

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwKA3Va3fiw

This is more general LS usage with a few edge guards in there somewhere.

As for ledge guarding, a few thoughts:

With LS up, run off ledge, fall a bit, then jump back to the stage. Don't always wait on stage.
Double jump near the ledge, or simply start it well before you go off stage with it, and pull LS at the top of your jump. That way if you fall below the ledge the LS will wear off before you SD and you can Rush up.
Mash jump a lot. You never know when the opportunity will present itself.
When going against hitbox recoveries(like Fox UpB) try to position yourself slightly to the side, so that your hurtbox doesn't get it but they get hit with a leaf. This can also lead to a footstool setup if you hold towards them and positioning is good.
If you go for the footstool, try to get it as low as possible. If you footstool too close to stage level, they can simply mash UpB. If they have an UpB like Mario's, where they usually want to be at a certain point to sweetspot the ledge with it, that's where you want to get them. It can be dangerous to go so low, but if you wait until the LS timer is almost out it's less risky.
Getting the footstool close the ledge can still cause them to react poorly and leave themselves open, but you are less likely to get a kill from it.
If you throw someone off the stage, pull out the LS asap so that it's still there when they get to the ledge, but it will soon wear off so you can use any move as a follow up.
If your standing at the ledge with LS up, be ready for a run grab on roll getup.
If your standing at the ledge with LS up, be ready to run off stage if they hold on to the ledge too long and run out of invincibility frames.
Mix it up. Going for it and not going for it. It forces them to react differently to getting back on stage which can leave them open to other ledge kill methods.
Play it safe. Don't get too greedy because it can easily backfire and kill you.
Not all kills need to come from footstools. Getting hit with a leaf can interrupt and lead to mistakes, forced SD's.

I don't think there are a many reliable setups. It varies greatly between recovery types, positions at the time, what move they might try to use against you. Some characters it's not worth it to really try too often. Multijumps and crazy recoveries like Lucario.

Last edited:
Top Bottom