• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide How To Easily Livestream And Record Videos In Optimal Quality, 60 Frames/Second

The physical setup

This works best if you have S-video cables for you WIi or Gamecube. Try to copy the image above. Connect the S-video output cable directly into the capture card, connect the composite cable output (yellow) directly into the TV, split the audio cables and connect the red and white signals to the TV and capture card, each

Any cheap capture card that uses software compression will do. Notable examples are Dazzle (here), EasyCAP (here), Hauppauge USB-LIVE-2 (here), and Elgato Video Capture (here)

You will also need a microphone to capture commentary audio. Any mic will work, but if you're aiming for optimal quality, I recommend the Blue Snowball Ice (link) and Blue Yeti (link). To block background noise from reaching your microphone, you could use a sound isolation box (link) or even 2 textbooks to block the back side of the microphone
How to livestream
1. Download both Adobe Flash Media Encoder here (here)
(You will need to log in to Adobe's site in order to Download Flash Media Live Encoder (FMLE))
2. Install FMLE. When it's finished, open it
3. Click (here), then click "Sream Key", and then copy your stream key
4. Paste your stream key in the Stream textbox
5. Paste "rtmp://live.justin.tv/app" into the FMS URL text box
6. To select between capturing from composite or s-video cable, click the wrench next to where it says your device name and on the new window, go to the Crossbar tab. In the Input drop down menu, select which cable you want to record from
7. These default settings will allow you to stream but it won't look good. You can use my recommended settings shown in the collapse box if you'd like[collapse="my ideal settings"]Video
Format: H.264
Frame Rate: 29.97
Input size: 720x480
Bit Rate: 3000 Kbps
Output Size: 720 x 480
Deinterlace: ✓ (optional)

Audio
Device: microphone
Channels: Mono
Sample rate: 44100
Bit Rate: 224
Volume: full

All unmentioned settings are left as default

If you don't have a good enough connection speed, you could try cutting the bit rate down to 1500 Kbps. Ideally you should have 1000 Kbps of padding on your upload speed to stream well. Go to Speedtest (here) to check your internet connection speed

For some reason, this program doesn't recognize the audio of capture cards well. You'll have to use microphone audio. It's better anyway, assuming you could only use either game audio or real life audio. You can get both, just with lesser game audio if the microphone is close enough to the TV

640x480, 3 Mb/s, no deinterlacing

640x480, 3 Mb/s, deinterlacing
[/collapse]8. Click start

Uploading your archive directly to youtube

1. Go to your twitch channel page and click on the wrench next to your name
2. Click Channels & Videos
3. ✓ Automatically archive my broadcasts (do this before streaming)
4. Click Connections
5. Click the ✓ next to youtube and allow your twitch and youtube channels to connect
6. Go to your stream archive page
7. (Optional) Click on the gear below the video and click Highlight
8. (Optional) Set the desired start time and end time you want for the highlight and then click Describe Highlight
9. (Optional) Create a title, description, and tags and then click Create Highlight
10. Click the gear below the video and click Export. Or if you followed the optional steps, click Export to youtube
11. Add a title, description, and tags, and then click Export

Downloading and editing your twitch archives

1. If you want to download your twitch archive file, go to Nightdev (here) and paste the URL of your highlight/archive into the VoD/Highlight text box. You will download your video as an MP4 file
2. If you want to convert your file to AVI to be able to edit it in VIrtualDub, download DVDVideoSOft's MP4 converter (here)
3. I recommend using these settings
Video
Container: AVI
Video Codec: XVID
Frame rate: Same as input
Bitrate: 40 Mbit/s
Width: 720
Height: 480

Audio
Format: MP3
Sample rate: Same as input
Channels: Same as input
Bitrate: 320 Kbit/s

The video bit rate is for perfectionist video quality. If you're making long videos from your stream archive, Reducing it to 10 Mbit/s will be plenty and will take significantly less time to render your videos

640x480, 3 Mb/s, interlaced, then used the VirtualDub guide below to maximize quality
1. Download OBS (Open Broadcast Source) (link)
2. Install it
3. Open it
4. Right click in the Scenes box then click Add Scene. Use any name you want for your scene
5. Right click in the Sources box then click Add > Video Capture Device. Use any name you want for your source
6. Make sure your device is selected for Device. For Audio Input Device, use (Use Device Audio). Check the Output audio to stream only radio button. In the video section, check if the resolution is set to 720x480. If it's not, check the Use custom settings check box and then set it to 720x480 in the resolution drop down menu.
7. Click Open Crossbar
8. In the input drop down menu, select Video SVideo In
9. Click OK on the Properties and Video Settings windows
10. (Optional) In the Deinterlacing drop down menu, select Yadif2x
11. Click the Settings button
12. Click Broadcast settings
13. Copy your stream key from your Twitch dashboard (link)
14. Paste in in the Play Path/Stream Key (if any) text box
15. Click video
16. In the Base Resolution section, click the Custom radio button and enter 720 and 480 in the 2 text boxes next to it
17. Click Audio
18. For Microphone/Auxiliary Audio Device, select the microphone you will be using in the drop down menu
19. Click Encoding
20. In the Max Bitrate (kb/s) text box, enter any amount you want to stream with. I recommend 3000. In the Audio Encoding section, select MP3 in the Codec drop down menu, Mono in the Channel menu, and 160 in the Bit Rate menu
21. Click OK to exit settings
22. Click Preview to test to see what your stream will look like before you start it. Test the mic and game audio capture by making sounds in the game and in real life and make sure the volume meters for them respond accordingly. If they aren't, try repeating past steps to see if you missed anything. Click Stop Preview after you've confirmed that everything's working
23. Click Start Streaming
How to youtube
1. Download the latest releases of VirtualDub (link), Lagarith (link), and Xvid (link)
2. Install the Lagarith and XviD codecs. VirtualDub doesn't exactly get installed. To use it, move the downloaded file to a directory you'd want to have it and extract its contents there
3. Open VirtualDub (VD)
4. Go to file > Capture AVI
5. Click device and check if VD is using the capture card you want to use
6. If you're not getting any video input, go to Video > Video source and then select from either composite or s-video
7. Go to Video > Compression. When you're there, select Lagarith and leave the default settings as they are
7. Go to Audio > Compression. When you're there, select MPEG Layer-3 and then select 320 kBit/s, 48,000 HZ, Stereo
8. Go to File > Set capture file and name the recording file any name you want it
9. Go to Capture > Capture video to begin recording. To end the file, go to Capture > Stop capture
10. Whatever you do, don't hit Capture video again. Once you have a file, remember to hit ] on your keyboard to set a new file. If the previous name ended in a number, the new file will increment it by 1 or will add 1 to the end of the name to make a new capture file. Not doing this will overwrite the previous file

Editing the footage you've just captured

1. Reopen VD or go to File > Exit capture mode
2. Go to File > Open video file and select the capture file you want
3. Go to Video > Filters. Click Add, then click deinterlace. Under Deinterlacing mode, select Interpolate using Yadif algorithm and under Field order select Double frame rate, top field first. Click OK on the latest window to get out (If you want the video to be 60 frames/second on youtube, the resolution will have to be 720p or 1080p)
4. While still in filters, click Add and then click resize. Look for a radio button that says Compute height from aspect ratio and click it. Look for where it says Framing options, select Crop to aspect ratio. Look for the text boxes next to where it says Absolute (pixels). Type 1080 in the right text box
4.5. To get the correct aspect ratio for videos in widescreen, look for Compute height from ratio and enter 16 and 9 in the 2 text boxes. Look for Letterbox/crop to aspect ratio and enter 16 and 9 in those boxes as well
5. Go to Video > Compression. Select Xvid MPEG-4 Codec and then hit Configure
6. Go to Profile @ Level and change it to Xvid HD 1080
7. Hit Target quantizer so that it changes to Target bitrate (kbps). Set the value to 20480
8. To edit out footage you want to discard, move the slider along the time bar. Mark the beginning and end points of the sections you want to cut out using the ← and → (I can't find the best ascii characters for this) and hit delete on your keyboard to get rid of what was selected
9. Got to File > Save as AVI and save the file
Youtube pre-upscaled quality comparison

480p

720p

1080p

Before the upload

(It's difficult to notice the improvements with the Yadif algorithm. If you were to deinterlace with ELA, everything would look super smooth. Yadif is preferred still because ELA smooths things out too much to the point of blurring the image)

Video quality from worst to best

Gamecube composite

Wii composite

Gamecube s-video

Wii s-video
Credit
SypherPhoenix taught me how to record in really good quality. My technique is a bit modified from his

Last edited:

oksas

oak-sauce
the virtual dub setup is realy helpful. thanks much for posting this

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
good guide but you failed to mention that your PING must be good to stream as well doesn't it? can't be dropping packets all over the place

pingtest.net

good guide but you failed to mention that your PING must be good to stream as well doesn't it? can't be dropping packets all over the place

pingtest.net
I thought upload speed was the biggest factor. I'm still new to streaming

Crusayer

Smash Lord
What kind of capture card would you recommend for this kind of setup? I'd reckon this wouldn't make a video look good if it was a low-end one right?

What kind of capture card would you recommend for this kind of setup? I'd reckon this wouldn't make a video look good if it was a low-end one right?
Don't buy EasyCap. The audio is a disaster

GameBridge works only on 32-bit Windows

I use Hauppauge USB-LIVE-2. I can't get FME to capture audio through it, so I used the mic for its audio

I haven't tried using any other devices so I can't provide much of any advice for them specifically. So long as it's a cheap computer-powered device that captures only through composite/s-video cable, you're good to go

xJin678

Smash Cadet
Wow, amazing and simple tutorial on how to make the best out of quality youtube videos. I had always stuck with Sony Vegas for rendering and was never exactly happy with the video quality. Tried your settings and my video quality difference is night and day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9IfsbmhlOg

Thanks a bunch!

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Have you ever used Open Broadcaster Software with your Hauppauge or does it not work? I have a preference for using it to stream, and if I get into streaming console stuff, I would prefer to use it. Just a question out of curiosity.

Also, do you know exactly what those things are called that split the cable that has the console's video and audio (for the purposes of getting it on the computer as well as on the console)? I keep looking for it on Amazon, but I only find things to split the sound.

Wow, amazing and simple tutorial on how to make the best out of quality youtube videos. I had always stuck with Sony Vegas for rendering and was never exactly happy with the video quality. Tried your settings and my video quality difference is night and day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9IfsbmhlOg

Thanks a bunch!
♥

Have you ever used Open Broadcaster Software with your Hauppauge or does it not work? I have a preference for using it to stream, and if I get into streaming console stuff, I would prefer to use it. Just a question out of curiosity.

Also, do you know exactly what those things are called that split the cable that has the console's video and audio (for the purposes of getting it on the computer as well as on the console)? I keep looking for it on Amazon, but I only find things to split the sound.
I don't recommend Hauppauge HD PVR because of it's restriction to only being usable with the developer's capture software and that it can't stream on its own. I have never used Open Broadcaster Software

Piggyback splitters are the best kind because everything you need is all in 1 piece. The of course also work for the yellow cable too. You could also use an s-video extension cable to capture from that kind of cable

Also, if you can, it's best to record from a Wii and/or from s-video cables. When I have access to a GameCube I can borrow I can show comparison screenshots. Picture quality from worst to best is
GameCube composite (looks blurry)
GameCube s-Video (looks like it's on a diagonal grid)
Wii composite (looks like what it should look like)
Wii s-video (negligible gain)

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Just for anyone curious, the Hauppauge USB-LIVE-2 works with OBS. The audio works, too, except (I don't know if this is epsi's problem as well but) OBS can only deal with one audio source at a time so I can't do both the Hauppauge and my microphone.

S l o X

Smash Champion
really appreciate this dude.

everytime i change my device from my webcam to my DVC 100 it just closes FME.

Yo, short and sweet, UsurperKing Z, I like.

One thing: Shouldn't the source be 640x480, actually? If you're capturing 720x480, perhaps that may be a problem with your capture card [device] settings? This also eliminates the crop-to step, but your advice as-is doesn't hurt anything.

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
EPSILON! You rock! We just got a Dazzle at our house a couple weeks ago and were depressed by how many frames we were dropping but your settings seem to have fixed it! <3

SpiderMad

Smash Master
lbah blagablah
I use http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html instead of Xvid, do you not know of x264 or you do and chose to use Xvid (I don't know which is better, but this older tutorial for Wc3 recording said to use x264 but both seem to work fine for Youtube).

I mostly record replays of say Brawl/P:M, Should I do anything different? (Like not use Lagarith?)

Is there a way to fix virtual dub from desyncing audio as well as making it change pitch once in a while? I mean I can fix the desync post-record by moving the audio which Iv'e done but it'd be best to not have to do that as well as no ability to fix the pitch changes.

I use a K-world USB 2.0 with Wii S-video (Not split, you don't split either right? Cus I got a cable that gives off a signal to the composite which I can see on TV with as well as S-video which I record with)
http://www.amazon.com/KWorld-Expert-Video-Maker-KW-USB2800D/dp/B000234SMQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1368409303&sr=1-1&keywords=kworld usb 2.0

Your device http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116048 Seems like a decent upgrade I might look into for the future for ~$20 more than what i paid for mine

Have you experimented with other de-interlaces besides the one you mentioned, I heard there's denoisers and such out there that render longer but make the quality better.

If I want to make my videos WIDESCREEN with NO black boarders, what settings would I change with the "compute aspect ratio"? Say for when I want a widescreen stretched 1080 as well as for 720.
This guy recorded a replay for me, I want it like his like this where there's no black boarders and it's stretched.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChUsaNlLAo4

D

Deleted member

(This is in sony vegas 11) For the video cropping, you have to disable maintain aspect ratio. Then you crop the video, and since your capture card is completely different from my hd pvr, you will have to just experiment.
IMO AmaRecTV 2.10 is a good recorder. Its a japanese program translated to english, but it takes mostly everything and has A LOT of options. If you don't like or can't get virtual dub to work then use this. (2.30 has audio pitch issues, look for 2.10 because its the best)

D

Deleted member

If you get audio glitches in 2.31 then switch to 2.10. If you still get audio problems, its confirmed your device.
Also, can you help me get that x264 coded installed? When I get the file off of here: http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html The download is just a bunch of files in a folder. I would appreciate help.
ALSO, if you're doing widescreen, then you probably want brawl in 16:9 and if your recording program does it, also 16:9. If its 4:3 then when you stretch it, it looks horrible.

Kadano

Magical Express
You need x264vfw if you want to use it within VirtualDub.
x264 is definitely the best post-deinterlacing encoding choice nowadays, unless your processor is like 8 years old afaik. Also use 32-bit versions only for all programs, the 64-bit ones aren’t developed properly and will cause you problems.
Also concerning sync issues, I found that DScaler works with far less flaws than VD for me.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
You need x264vfw if you want to use it within VirtualDub.
x264 is definitely the best post-deinterlacing encoding choice nowadays, unless your processor is like 8 years old afaik. Also use 32-bit versions only for all programs, the 64-bit ones aren’t developed properly and will cause you problems.
Also concerning sync issues, I found that DScaler works with far less flaws than VD for me.
Tell me your entire method of recording/producing videos with Dscaler and link me to some you produced

Kadano

Magical Express
1. Capture raw video with DScaler
2. Use MeGUI to apply an AviSynth script that does all deinterlacing and resizing and encode it to x264/aac.
Result (sub-par color and audio quality are caused by my 20$ capture card)

SpiderMad

Smash Master
1. Capture raw video with DScaler
2. Use MeGUI to apply an AviSynth script that does all deinterlacing and resizing and encode it to x264/aac.
Result (sub-par color and audio quality are caused by my 20$ capture card)
Thanks but you gotta spoon feed me like a little baby: How exactly do you use MeGUI, just download and run it and then open the video and click yes or what?

Also what's your capture card?

Kadano

Magical Express
I don’t recommend MeGUI for beginners. MeGUI is a tool that combines AviSynth script application, encoding and muxing. I mainly use it because my recording setup has the 16:9 hack, so I need to resize the video to get a correct aspect ratio. For the start, you should use VirtualDub or Avidemux. Once you think their deinterlacing (Yadif) or something else is insufficient, you can still get into scripting.

I use this: http://dx.com/p/usb-video-audio-capture-adapter-white-113103
Like I said, it’s only half-decent quality like you can see in the video. If I was recording sets with higher caliber players, I’d buy a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB3, which is pretty much gold standard nowadays, but it’s like 8-10 times the price of this cheap adapter.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Dscaler didn't work after I ran it after installing it, said corrupted install and stuff. My laptop is windows 8. I went to use Vdub like usual now and it had messed up video possibly from Dscaler so I'm doing a system restore

Vdub can use different interlaces that you supposedly download and stuff that could be better than Yadif, idk how or which though.

Yeah system restore fixed it

How do I batch convert files in virtual dub?

I rendered using my $20 device on S-video with Virtual dub with compression of x264 Single pass 5400 bit rate, de-interlace of Ydif, and aspect resize to 1280x720 (along with recording it in 16:9 or whatever the option on the right is for I guess widescreen HD Tvs for playing Brawl).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=VCiMg66hBKs

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I don’t recommend MeGUI for beginners. MeGUI is a tool that combines AviSynth script application, encoding and muxing. I mainly use it because my recording setup has the 16:9 hack, so I need to resize the video to get a correct aspect ratio. For the start, you should use VirtualDub or Avidemux. Once you think their deinterlacing (Yadif) or something else is insufficient, you can still get into scripting.

I use this: http://dx.com/p/usb-video-audio-capture-adapter-white-113103
Like I said, it’s only half-decent quality like you can see in the video. If I was recording sets with higher caliber players, I’d buy a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB3, which is pretty much gold standard nowadays, but it’s like 8-10 times the price of this cheap adapter.
That thing can record Component, is that what you used to Record then? What were the exact splitters you used for the component (since I think the quality of splitters matter)

Kadano

Magical Express
That thing can record Component, is that what you used to Record then? What were the exact splitters you used for the component (since I think the quality of splitters matter)
None. I use a Gamecube.
It also seems to work with NTSC only. This only matters when using composite output as component doesn’t have PAL/NTSC differences.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
None. I use a Gamecube.
It also seems to work with NTSC only. This only matters when using composite output as component doesn’t have PAL/NTSC differences.
You should really try out the splitting Component with it on a Gamecube, the quality could probably be amazing

9 in those boxes as well​
5. Go to Video > Compression. Select Xvid MPEG-4 Codec and then hit Configure

(It's difficult to notice the improvements with the Yadif algorithm. If you were to deinterlace with ELA, everything would look super smooth)
Why do you use Xvid and not x264fw?

What's ELA? Can that work with Vdub as a Vdub plug-in? Do you use it? Does it take forever to render?

You should really try out the splitting Component with it on a Gamecube, the quality could probably be amazing

Why do you use Xvid and not x264fw?

What's ELA? Can that work with Vdub as a Vdub plug-in? Do you use it? Does it take forever to render?

Gamecube component cables are rare to find. You're better off using Wii an its component cables

Xvid is so much easier to learn that x264fw. My guide is intended to be as easy as possible while still getting legit video quality

ELA is another decryption algorithm. It's smoother than Yadif but Yadif is better because it doesn't end up blurring the image. Yadif and ELA take the same time to render

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Gamecube component cables are rare to find. You're better off using Wii an its component cables

Xvid is so much easier to learn that x264fw. My guide is intended to be as easy as possible while still getting legit video quality
Oh whoops, meant to type on a Wii.

What do you mean easier? Are you sawing x264fw is only useful when you double pass the video with it or something (because I was told to do that but I don't)?

Also when I used Lagarith, it made the video all corrupted in colors and stuff, I mean I delete the .AVis anyways but I was wondering if this was caused by something simple

Do the quality of splitters matter in how badly they reduce quality?

Oh whoops, meant to type on a Wii.

What do you mean easier? Are you sawing x264fw is only useful when you double pass the video with it or something (because I was told to do that but I don't)?

Also when I used Lagarith, it made the video all corrupted in colors and stuff, I mean I delete the .AVis anyways but I was wondering if this was caused by something simple

Do the quality of splitters matter in how badly they reduce quality?

I could figure out how to get a working video with Xvid in 1 try. In several tries that failed with x264fw

Were the recording files captured with lagarith compression corrupted even when you opened it in VirtualDub?

Any splitter will be fine. Just don't daisy chain them. Then you'll some kind of grainy image like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN249J7gdKg

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I could figure out how to get a working video with Xvid in 1 try. In several tries that failed with x264fw

Were the recording files captured with lagarith compression corrupted even when you opened it in VirtualDub?

Any splitter will be fine. Just don't daisy chain them. Then you'll some kind of grainy image like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN249J7gdKg

I'm not sure, I think It was also messed up in Vdub but eventually I'll check on that

What do you mean daisy chain them? I don't understand

I'm not sure, I think It was also messed up in Vdub but eventually I'll check on that

What do you mean daisy chain them? I don't understand
I tried to upload a recording file with lagarith compression straight to youtube and it couldn't recognize it. I know these files work on at least Windows Media Player. Tell me the the settings configured in laragith and the device you have. There are some devices that don't work with certain compression algorithms

It means connecting multiple wires to use as a single, longer wire

Kadano

Magical Express
Excuse me, but how do you do this if you don't have a capture card? How much would one cost?
If you have no capture card, you can’t record.

Cheapest USB cards (“EzCap” knockoffs and similar devices) start at 15$, but their quality is really sub-par.
Getting the best recording quality from your Gamecube or Wii requires progressive scan. This requires a lagless TV / monitor that displays progressive inputs as well. A popular setup is Wii + component cables + Avermedia LGP or elgato Game Capture HD + BenQ RL2455HM or ASUS VS248H or ASUS VG248QE. The entire setup is about 270$, assuming that you already have a Wii. Technically, an internal PCIe card would be even better, albeit slightly, but this creates more problems that would take a long writeup to explain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom