• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to do tilts out of run with smash stick

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
As we know the game features any move out of run

I’ll cut to the chase:

To perform tilts while using smash stick you start in run and then input street fighter quarter moons to the direction.

uptilt
:GCR::GCUR::GCU::GCA:

down tilt
:GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCA:

forward tilt
:GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDR::GCR::GCA:

reverse f-tilt
:GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDL::GCL::GCA:

You don’t have to heavily finesse this, but you can’t slam it either or you’ll get smash. That being said some characters benefit from smash stick and some people just prefer it so I thought you should know.

You can also reverse uptilt with
:GCR::GCUR::GCU::GCUL::GCA:
But reverse down tilt is much stricter.

Last edited:

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
I've been using a completely different method to get these. Mostly I've been practicing turnaround angled side tilts by quickly reversing the stick direction to the slightest degree away for the desired tilt/angle. I'll try this out and see which is better.

Shieldlesscap

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, I think it goes without saying that this work around doesn’t pan out for them :p

I almost put that in so I’m glad you mentioned it anyway.
One thing I will say is that especially with Ryu and Ken, running tilts tend to be easier. The only one I tend to struggle with is FTilt, which isn't really something you need to be using while moving outside of an occasional poke with the light version. Heavy version as Ryu you shouldn't really be doing out of a run anyway, and I still can't figure out what Ken's heavy FTilt is used for outside of like, ending a combo.

So you don't really need to do this in the first place most of the time.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
This is actually pretty similar to how you do tilts out of a run in Super Smash Flash 2, so if you're used to that, it applies here.

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
As we know the game features any move out of run

I’ll cut to the chase:

To perform tilts while using smash stick you start in run and then input street fighter quarter moons to the direction.

:GCR::GCUR::GCU::GCA:
Will be uptilt
:GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCA:
Will be down tilt
:GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDR::GCR::GCA:
Will be forward tilt
:GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDL::GCL::GCA:
Will be reverse f-tilt

You don’t have to heavily finesse this, but you can’t slam it either or you’ll get smash. That being said some characters benefit from smash stick and some people just prefer it so I thought you should know.

You can also reverse uptilt with
:GCR::GCUR::GCU::GCUL::GCA:
But reverse down tilt is much stricter.
I tried both your method and the one I had been practicing which varies from tilt to tilt and I feel like mine is a little quicker. I can get turn around and forward tilts at the exact distance of the initial dash where as with the ones you've listed they come out a little after the distance of the initial dash. I'd like for you to try it and get back to me with your opinion.

Turn around f-tilt - out of dash/run reverse the stick to the slightest degree and press a. It should feel almost exactly as quick as inputting a smash attack manually. If a smadlsh comes out however you went too far on the stick. If a jab comes out you didn't go far enough. Definitely takes some finesse but I feel better having my thumb on a/x than moving it to the c-stick.

To do a forward ftilt out of a dash/run, roll back the control stick to almost neutral. If early dash attack, if late jab.

chipz

Smash Apprentice
if you do it too fast its still a smash attack. If you wait a split second while holding the direction its the same effect for me?
Im not sure what the quarter circle is supposed to be doing

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
if you do it too fast its still a smash attack. If you wait a split second while holding the direction its the same effect for me?
Im not sure what the quarter circle is supposed to be doing
when you let the stick go to neutral and then try to quickly do a tilt, you often get a smash attack- doing a quarter allows you to bypass the finesse needed by always having pressure on the stick. In tense and fast pace scenarios you want the easiest methods for execution and this allows for the desired effect with much less worry of smashing.

see this example:
b reverse is more about timing
reverse b is more about stick finesse
but wavebouncing combines both stick finesse and timing so you really have to put in work to get it consistently. You could learn to tilt out of run with precise stick movement and timing, but using a quarter moon just makes it a matter of timing and keeps the stick movement low stress.

Overall I still prefer tilt stick, but this was just 1 work around I've found for smash stickers

and @ GdspdUblkprzdnt GdspdUblkprzdnt I find movements I can jam to be preferable but if that works better for you than by all means!

Last edited:

chipz

Smash Apprentice
even avoiding neutral stick it does smash attacks if i do it quickly. Is this sensitivity setting dependent?

Doval

Smash Lord
It is sensitivity dependent. At low sensitivity, pressing the A button on the 2 frames after you moved the stick downwards will still result in a Smash Attack, assuming the stick was moved sufficiently far down on the frame you pushed the button. (If the stick was only moved a little, the result is always a tilt regardless of timing.) Normal sensitivity changes that window to 3 frames and high sensitivity increases it to 4. If you want easier up and down tilts, you want low sensitivity. On the other hand, higher sensitivity increases the window for side smashes, which lets you push the attack button later in your initial dash animation to get some extra distance before the smash starts.

Last edited:

wiiztec

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wiiztec
The way the game explains it is confusing, the fact that it's called stick sensitivity implies that high means less force required to smash. but the fact that the description says "change how much speed is needed to perform a stick flick" implies that high would mean more speed required to smash, but high speed required to smash is actually descriptive of low stick sensitivity. very confuzzling

Last edited:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Based. Thank you so much.

Shieldlesscap

Smash Apprentice
It is sensitivity dependent. At low sensitivity, pressing the A button on the 2 frames after you moved the stick downwards will still result in a Smash Attack, assuming the stick was moved sufficiently far down on the frame you pushed the button. (If the stick was only moved a little, the result is always a tilt regardless of timing.) Normal sensitivity changes that window to 3 frames and high sensitivity increases it to 4. If you want easier up and down tilts, you want low sensitivity. On the other hand, higher sensitivity increases the window for side smashes, which lets you push the attack button later in your initial dash animation to get some extra distance before the smash starts.
Really? It’s based on timing? You’d think it would decrease/increase the actual distance the stick needs to move.

Doval

Smash Lord
I checked for that but couldn't find a difference in how far you need to move the stick on neither my GameCube controller nor my Pro controller.

I wrote a short thread with the details but it hasn't been approved by the mods yet.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Thanks for this, Makes me question the strengths of low-high... guess it’s not just placebo like some people think. Hmmm I need to do testing on other tech now.

Top Bottom