• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to DI Fox's Up Throw Up Air

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

ZeRo, commonly known for doing tutorials for Melee/Brawl, has recently done his first Project M Tutorial (That applies to Melee as well) with Chibo on Smash DI and Directional Influence as a whole. This tutorial talks about escaping out of Fox's staple up throw up air combo as well as basic DI. For any Spanish viewers, this video also has subs in Spanish.

Thethirdkoopa is a busy Game Producer and Musician, but in his spare time he likes catching up on Smash! Talk with him about either by following him on Twitter @Thirdkoopa. Tutorial made by @CT_ZeRo and @CT_Chibo

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
Well, it´s about time someone finally teaches us how to fight those evil gay foxes...:yeahboi:

Last edited:

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
No point in fixing this. P:M is trying to accurately recreate the Melee engine, so the only potential change would be making it so that we'll have to move one of the sticks diagonal instead of up when trying to escape the Uair.
It's also worth noting that this isn't quite as easy as Zero makes it look, and as he said in the end, there are plenty of ways for Fox to work around this.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
My amazing *cough* guide to SDIing Fox's U-throw U-air like a champion easily.

step 1: be fighting fox.

it does you no good to sdi fox's uair when you're not fighting fox.

step 2: get grabbed.

usually not a problem lolz.

step 3: learn how to do it through my instructional guide :D

Part 1: What you're NOT supposed to do

demo kirby fails and naturally fails the di on the u-throw. god what a noob.

demo kirby gets hit and freezes up not knowing what to do and dis down or some crap that doesn't do anything to avoid the hit.

demo kirby gets hit again by the strong hit...

and doesn't di it and dies. evil gay fox l-cancels and starts to dd and flaunt lasers and still has time for a cup of tea before kirby respawns.

What you're SUPPOSED to do

demo kirby sucks and even he can DI behind evil gay fox when he gets u-thrown. so you should be able to do this too. just hold the direction behind him. you CANNOT sdi throws except for jigglypuff's f-throw so don't try to mash as you're being thrown to sdi lasers or anything dumb just hold the direction :)

you see that foot hitting demo kirby? when that foot hits you, that's when you hit the direction opposite to wherever evil gay fox is hitting you. even if you mess up this way it's also the optimal di to avoid being comboed by multiple uairs because you put maximum distance. however, this makes it easy to react to him coming up for the uair so just try to sdi it.

look at that. beautiful. demo kirby is alive. and he's terrible so there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to learn this.
This guy did it first back in 09'

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
It wont be changed lol. This isnt like some new tech that Zero just found out, this has been known in the Melee scene for years.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Thank you so much for this. I always die early in my tournament sets cause of my DI XD..........XDDDDDDDDD

shapular

Smash Ace
They should fix the up throw up air combo. Fox doesn't need free kill combos like that. Jab to up smash should go away too.

D

Deleted member

They should fix the up throw up air combo. Fox doesn't need free kill combos like that. Jab to up smash should go away too.
Of course he does! He's Fox in a game that aims to emulate the playstyle of Melee :troll:

D

Deleted member

Urgh, why do I keep forgetting these things. Silly me. I guess it's time to nerf everybody until Fox and Falco are the only viable characters.
While they're at it, they should make the Melee skins for Fox and Falco the default ones, and remove the Brawl models from the game :troll:

ShaDoW4408

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadow4408
3DS FC
3668-9102-9707
Oh come on we fox mains already struggle at getting chained grabbed and comboed by more than half the roster. We for sure lost up throw up air combo now the struggle is real :(

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Oh come on we fox mains already struggle at getting chained grabbed and comboed by more than half the roster. We for sure lost up throw up air combo now the struggle is real :(
... heaven forbid you can't upthrow upair every time if your opponent knows how to DI it.

it's not like you have free stage control, a nairplane, a one frame move that you can combo into your 6 frame vertical killer (off of a combo), shine spikes, shine backairs, backairs, a 6 frame antiair that also happens to be your main kill move, mostly really good priority, great dash speed, great attack speed.

oh, and a 1 frame move that leads into your main kill option against most of the cast.

wow, Fox must struggle a lot

Last edited:

ShaDoW4408

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadow4408
3DS FC
3668-9102-9707
If this was melee I would understand but its not and thanks for saying a whole bunch of stuff I know already. And yes I also know everyone already knew about this smash DI out of up air has been here for awhile its just more ppl will know so yes the struggle is real. Lets not forget the recovery that most other characters have now which makes it even more difficult the have this so called amazing stage control

Last edited:

ShaDoW4408

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadow4408
3DS FC
3668-9102-9707
Well I just dont use lasers like that can't help it I like to be up in my opponents face its just the way in am.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
shoot lasers, make them come to you, make them wiff, hit confirm, then do your combo and be in their face. rushdown foxes tend to get punished more.

or, play how you want and make it work, if you can. there are characters that destroy rushdown fighters in this game. *shrugs*

ShaDoW4408

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadow4408
3DS FC
3668-9102-9707
Oh trust me I know thats why I made that comment I will make it work somehow.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
No point in fixing this. P:M is trying to accurately recreate the Melee engine, so the only potential change would be making it so that we'll have to move one of the sticks diagonal instead of up when trying to escape the Uair.
It's also worth noting that this isn't quite as easy as Zero makes it look, and as he said in the end, there are plenty of ways for Fox to work around this.
I didn't notice the controller cam at first, it's insanely helpful, how did he even get that in the video?
How do you get that controller cam in the window? I need to know for my smash channel.

Top Bottom