• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with Squirtle withdraw spam?

Sir_Africa

Smash Cadet
I've got almost no experience in this match-up. And last night I fell prey to the shell hitting me over and over again because I didn't know how to deal with it. I know I can jump on it, but what are some more consistent, more reliable strategies that I should be doing? Blocking? Parrying? Jumping over and whiff punish? Is there even enough end lag for me to punish?

If it helps, I main Mario.

Thanks.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
The best strategy is to run away from it and punish the lag on the ending animation. Some characters can't do this, but this is the most consistent way to get a strong punish off. When you shield it, it pops Squirtle up and he can move before most characters can get a move out. Also, I'd say almost never go for the footstool, it's just not reliable enough to count on.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Its pretty hard to punish on shield, but it still has enough that you can punish it after it misses. Jumping over, not on it, it is the most reliable way to get your opening.

Sir_Africa

Smash Cadet
thanks for the replies guys! I'll def try jumping and running from it to find my opportunity to punish.

Arcane_

Smash Cadet
Jump on it and he gets stunned for a long time. Use this time to punish him hard. Practice against it by using a side b spamming cpu in training or with a friend

Top Bottom