• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with someone who just spams tilts?

Zen100

Smash Rookie
I have a friend I play against who plays Marth/ Sheik and all he usually does is either uptilt / dtilt with marth or ftilt / up tilt with sheik. How can i punish these these tilts???

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
So dtilt and uptilt for marth are -9 and -20 on asdi down respectively.

As long as you make sure you hold the c stick down while your on the ground moving around, your only concern should be getting hit out of the air. While your on the ground up tilt isnt safe until it breaks asdi down which im pretty sure isnt for a while. Dtilt can certainly be spaced so its hard/impossible to punish but if it is marth gets no follow up opportunities. Just make sure your moving so its hard for him to space, eg either staying out of his range all together or getting in his grill.

As far as i know its even worse for shiek.

Edit: im on mobile so changes

Last edited:

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
When you say asdi do you mean automatic smash DI, and -9 and - 20 are the frames on shield correct?
Yeah when you automatic smash di down when you get hit its like crouch canceling without the knockback multiplier.
No i mean -9 and -20 on hit when you asdi down

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
You can shield Sheik's tilts and down-air out of shield. You can also crouch cancel her tilts over 80% even (just make sure you're doing Falco's actual crouch, not holding down while in the animation from another move, which is ASDI down as you were discussion before). Marth's f-tilt is not safe on shield, you can wavedash out of shield and punish it with grab, shine (depending on the spacing), utilt, etc. Marth's d-tilt is pretty hard to punish but you can crouch cancel it and walk forward, crouch cancel again or shield Marth's next d-tilt and punish out of shield.

Brsijraz

Smash Rookie
These are all good tips that other people have been giving, but from a less technical standpoint: laser them, over and over again. Sheik and marth both have a hard time dealing with lasers.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
These are all good tips that other people have been giving, but from a less technical standpoint: laser them, over and over again. Sheik and marth both have a hard time dealing with lasers.
Maybe you've had a different experience, but shiek has one of the easiest counters to laser spam by doing pretty much what the OP is describing. Hold fwd and press A over and over lets her fwd tilt really easily between lasers. There is no true link after a laser and if you dont whiff punish the tilt by dashing back and feinting an approach then you will get hit every time.

Marth can do this too but for watever reason low level marths dont learn to abuse it the same way. Its just good to remember laser will never get you a direct followup on these characters, they can both interupt you between doing a laser and a move.

Top Bottom