• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with smaller or floaty characters?

the5souls

Smash Cadet
I've been having a lot of trouble with characters like Pichu and Pikachu. My forward tilts don't always hit them since they crouch/run really close to the ground. I find myself overwhelmed by their small size and high speed. A lot of the Belmonts moves are very horizontal or very vertical. I try to use a tilted f-air/b-air, but I know that can quickly become predictable.

How do you deal with them and characters like them?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I recommend down-angled f-tilt, d-tilt, d-smash, and holy water.

Sauce09

Smash Rookie
Few characters can duck Ftilt, but almost none of them can duck cross. Try mixing it up. If they are trying to bait out Ftilt/Fair, you can use cross, holy water, or your dash attack, instead.

Crouching Ftilt may be annoying, but they can't really run and duck particularly fast, and they have to commit to that strategy that can also be baited out.

TheHero

Smash Cadet
Wait, you can angle f-tilts?! How?
You cannot angle ftilt. As others pointed out, Cross, Holy Water, and Dash attack can control the ground in front of you and dtilt will hit them low.

Regarding missed ftilts you actually still have one option to go into after it misses. If you continue to hold A after doing your Ftilt you will go into the free swinging chain like you can from jab. When Ftilt misses keep holding A and swing the chain in a circle and you can keep yourself covered while knocking them back into neutral.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
You cannot angle ftilt. As others pointed out, Cross, Holy Water, and Dash attack can control the ground in front of you and dtilt will hit them low.

Regarding missed ftilts you actually still have one option to go into after it misses. If you continue to hold A after doing your Ftilt you will go into the free swinging chain like you can from jab. When Ftilt misses keep holding A and swing the chain in a circle and you can keep yourself covered while knocking them back into neutral.
Really? I play the Belmonts occasionally, and I'm quite sure their forward tilt can be angled.

Top Bottom