• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with Samus dittoes?

Blazekenny

Smash Rookie
Hello,
I consider myself to be a very seasoned Samus main, to the point that I could basically only play this character well. I am very comfortable in all the technical stuff this character has to offer. Now, I wouldn't like to sound like a Samus snob, there are better Samus players than me, but what really grinds my gears are the "for glory" spamuses you encounter online. And often not being able to win the ditto...

They basically follow the same pattern - using Down B to roll away from you with bombs, there are also lots of regular rolls. When they are far away, they keep camping you with projectiles. This wouldn't be all that bad if that was their set playstyle for the entire game - but they have occasional variables like throwing in a Fair and I am sometimes not completely sure whether are they doing it intentionally or just mashing buttons. When playing against this, I get tunnel vision, get frustrated soon and often get overwhelmed by this playstyle.

Are there any general methods to deal with this kind of play? Am I overlooking something?

Thanks in advance

comfortable_lamp

Smash Cadet
basically just fight fire with fire. Use a generally defensive play style, but sometimes try to pressure with fair and go for down throws and follow them up with fair and up air strings.
it would also help if I could see game play to see if there's anything else your doing wrong.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
https://youtu.be/A5KBsCG_4hE

Here's a link. It's the last match of a set. You're more than welcome to watch the first two.

Most Samus/Dark Samus mains I play against aren't a problem, unless it's Sitani, whom I've encountered a few times on Elite Smash. I fought someone named Hunter, who used Samus, as well as Sitani, then Tourian. Sitani defeated me. He covered all my options and three-stocked me. When you fight Samus or Dark Samus (I'll just refer to Samus to address both), you're going to end up dealing with projectiles.

Charge Shot is the obvious option, so you'll want to be especially cautious around it. If your opponent is using CS often, you'll want to get around it by shielding or jumping over. Platforms really help. CS is linear, so if Samus wants to hit you, she's going to need to jump as well. If Samus is always shooting from the ground, getting around will be easy. Just be wary of options like f-air or u-air out of charging CS.

You're going to want your CS somewhat charged while preventing Samus from charging CS. Z-air can help, especially if Samus is on a platform that a short hop z-air can connect. Samus wants you to chase her, and if you decide to do that, you're going to need to play it safe. Otherwise, you're going to lose. If you get Samus in the air and she's used her jumps, try to bait out an air-dodge. If your opponent doesn't air-dodge, use f-air or u-air.

Samus shouldn't try using d-air when trying to return to the ground. It's not too safe, except when trying to spike your opponent or using SH d-air and then retreating if your opponent blocks the attack. Use that to your advantage. The worst that could happen is you both hit each other. Chances are, your u-air might kill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom