• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U How to Deal With Pressure.

PhoenixLord05

Smash Rookie
A big part of smash is always about pressure, whether it is shield pressure, ledge pressure, or stage pressure, it is an important presence in this game's competitive and even casual scene. I would like a discussion on how to deal with pressure so I will start with what I think is important to note about pressure.

1. When your shield is being pressured there are things called out of shield options or oos options. Such an example is an aerial or a roll. Another thing to note about shield pressure is that certain attacks are safe on shield and cannot be beaten by oos options as they either cause too much shield stun or have little to no lag allowing for the person to bait or react to what you do.

2. Ledge pressure depends on characters I feel like, while all characters can ledge trump, some characters have amazing options at ledge, Fox, with ledge trapping or even getting back on stage, Fox. There are different ways for a character to get back on stage but it most relies on mix ups.

3. Stage pressure is when a character pushes for control of an area on the stage and is hugely prominent in zoning characters. It can also be done where a character is able to apply enough pressure to the point where you lose positioning and can't reset neutral. This is a very important part of the game as it makes enough of a distinction from lower tier characters place in the meta game as well as a player's own abilities.

I want people to discuss how they deal with any of the three types of pressure. Even if it is character specific that as no type of knowledge is bad knowledge.

Creeeamy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3239-3994-5969
There is no correct way of dealing with pressure, it's all about adaptivity, if there's one thing I've learned while playing Roy, combo fodder and short ranged swordsman, it's that dealing with pressure requires constant adaptation, to deal with pressure effectively means, to me, mixing things up, changing options, at ledge, always have an option prepared if you feel like there's going to be a trump, if you have a recovery with an active hitbox, sometimes it pays to not snap to ledge, out of shield also means mixing up, rolling can get you hard punished, jumping can be punished hard too, some characters just wait for you to jump, choosing one option to deal with pressure can often create a lot of pressure, and to deal with stage pressure, again I like to mix things up constantly, empty hop, baiting, just moving away to try reset neutral, I don't really see an effective way, or "right" way of dealing with pressure, only that adapting is key.

Top Bottom