• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with panic attacks at random times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateShulk

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 1732 1109 1619
I need advice from you guys, and sometimes my panic attacks are over dumb things.

Is there a way to deal with them minus playing a game or listening to music? I usually just cry and then it's over, or it's still there and I cry more.

Sometimes my panic attacks are on video games and I feel like I'm doing a terrible job at whatever I'm doing.

yknowlikenia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5495 6606 4304
I don't have panic attacks often, but my partner does - what I notice really helps him is this. Squeeze your fists or grip something tightly and try to ground yourself in your surroundings. Take that moment to gradually relax all of your muscles and make sure you arent tensing yourself up, and breathe slowly before continuing on with what you were doing. This isn't very comprehensive but when I get overwhelmed in Smash, sitting on the respawn platform, breathing, and relaxing my muscles like that usually brings me back to a good headspace.

Beyond simple things like that you can use to destress, you could probably explain to a doctor or therapist that you need medication for stress in general - it sounds like it's affecting you pretty badly. I hope you can find a healthy way to deal with this, as it's a horrible problem to face in daily life.

UltimateShulk

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 1732 1109 1619
I don't have panic attacks often, but my partner does - what I notice really helps him is this. Squeeze your fists or grip something tightly and try to ground yourself in your surroundings. Take that moment to gradually relax all of your muscles and make sure you arent tensing yourself up, and breathe slowly before continuing on with what you were doing. This isn't very comprehensive but when I get overwhelmed in Smash, sitting on the respawn platform, breathing, and relaxing my muscles like that usually brings me back to a good headspace.

Beyond simple things like that you can use to destress, you could probably explain to a doctor or therapist that you need medication for stress in general - it sounds like it's affecting you pretty badly. I hope you can find a healthy way to deal with this, as it's a horrible problem to face in daily life.
Thank you, that means so much to me. Your partner gets support from me, and I will try those things should I have one again. Unfortunately it does get bad sometimes, but I've been lucky with having very minimal panics. But I will try very hard to destress in new and healthy ways.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

D13

Smash Ace
As someone who has dealt with this in the past (and has finally been getting better), I sympathize with you greatly. It was medication that helped me (finally getting off it now), but I have been told therapy can really help to build up strategies for keeping those feelings at bay. If you can manage it, regular exercise can help a lot as well! Wishing you the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom