• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with move spam?

Forgeblazer

Smash Rookie
Personally, i get spammed out by people a lot, and its a combination of infuriating, and annoying. I always try to plan a counter to the spammed move mid match, but it either doesnt work, or they find a workaround to it quickly. I often go up against game and watches that spam up air, and also the "combo" of up b to down air, and i sometimes fight icies that spam sideb a ton as well, but most of all, duck hunts or links that LOVE spamming every possible projectile. I havent gone against a simon or richter, but i know they also love spamming, got any good ways to counter things like these? Bc they suck any fun out of some matches.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Personally, i get spammed out by people a lot, and its a combination of infuriating, and annoying. I always try to plan a counter to the spammed move mid match, but it either doesnt work, or they find a workaround to it quickly. I often go up against game and watches that spam up air, and also the "combo" of up b to down air, and i sometimes fight icies that spam sideb a ton as well, but most of all, duck hunts or links that LOVE spamming every possible projectile. I havent gone against a simon or richter, but i know they also love spamming, got any good ways to counter things like these? Bc they suck any fun out of some matches.
It would be easier to help if we knew which character(s) you are playing. Some characters will have better options than others for counter play, or just different ones.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Personally, i get spammed out by people a lot, and its a combination of infuriating, and annoying. I always try to plan a counter to the spammed move mid match, but it either doesnt work, or they find a workaround to it quickly.
The game of Smash Bros. at its core is one of reading your opponent's habits, adapting, then their adapting to your response, and so on back and forth. If they find a workaround, your job is then to exploit that new behavior.

On the concrete side of things, I find the best way to deal with zoners is to be extremely aggressive. Stay on their butt doggedly and don't give them any chance to gain some space and start with projectiles. This, particularly, with Ganondorf and other slow characters as they can have a lot of trouble closing the distance if they allow it to open. Marth's Fair and Ganondorf's Nair are good at destroying projectiles. Wolf has fewer options, but can at least zone back a little bit with his own projectile.

As for other moves... generally, think about how you can counter the move. What would you have to worry about the opponent doing if YOU were the Ice Climbers spamming side B? If you don't know, try it online until you lose, and note what the opponent did to make it happen. Marth and Ganondorf have good disjointment that can punish the Climbers with good timing, or attack from above. I think I'd use Wizard Foot in that situation.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
Wolf has fewer options, but can at least zone back a little bit with his own projectile.
Does his reflector not help tremendously against projectile zoners? You don't have to reflect every projectile out there, just one or two at key moments. Then go in and stay in their face.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Does his reflector not help tremendously against projectile zoners? You don't have to reflect every projectile out there, just one or two at key moments. Then go in and stay in their face.
You're right, somehow I forgot about that. You can tell I don't play much Wolf.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
On the concrete side of things, I find the best way to deal with zoners is to be extremely aggressive. Stay on their butt doggedly and don't give them any chance to gain some space and start with projectiles.
If you can't out-zone them, aggression is literally the only way to deal with a zoner. And that goes double for characters like Marth and Ganondorf that doesn't even have a projectile they can answer back with. They have literally no other option.
I often go up against game and watches that spam up air, and also the "combo" of up b to down air, and i sometimes fight icies that spam sideb a ton as well,
Stop running face first into attacks that you know are coming. There's no law that says you have to spend every second of the game trying to get as close as possible to the opponent and throw out as many of your own attacks as possible. For example, run up to just outside IC's hammer range and jump instead of attack. Now you're above them, and if they fell for your bait they're committed to a loonnngg attack animation. Similar thing for G&W. Run up then back off before they Up B.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
The game of Smash Bros. at its core is one of reading your opponent's habits, adapting, then their adapting to your response, and so on back and forth. If they find a workaround, your job is then to exploit that new behavior.
By that logic, spammers are literally incapable of winning due to being completely and utterly predictable by anyone with even a slightly functional sense of pattern recognition (which should be all of humanity, considering that pattern recognition is a skill that the human brain is heavily specialized in, to the point of sometimes seeing patterns that don't actually exist (which is why superstitions exist))... which is why spammers are only able to defeat players who are too inexperienced, impatient, and/or flat-out mentally-impaired to read and effectively respond to their opponent's habits.

In short: the way to overcome spammers is to git gud.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
By that logic, spammers are literally incapable of winning due to being completely and utterly predictable by anyone with even a slightly functional sense of pattern recognition (which should be all of humanity, considering that pattern recognition is a skill that the human brain is heavily specialized in, to the point of sometimes seeing patterns that don't actually exist (which is why superstitions exist))... which is why spammers are only able to defeat players who are too inexperienced, impatient, and/or flat-out mentally-impaired to read and effectively respond to their opponent's habits.
That's what I said, yes, in a less mean-spirited way.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
So...mission accomplished? You've gotten around their spamming, now you get to actually play the game!
Well, they can still stay spammers; can still use the same move over and over again, but over time with better timing (just one example). Doesn't make the situation any less spammy.

Bouncyboy7

Smash Rookie
You've got to get good like me. When I get spammed, I just win because I'm so good at the game. If you want tips and tricks, just ask me

Top Bottom