• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with Ikes?

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
So as the title says, how do I deal with Ikes? I almost always lose aganist him no matter who I use unless he suicides. Oddly all the Fire Emblem characters except for Robin give me trouble. Any tips on how to fight him? And who his worst matchups are?

I mean, Holy Crap, Ike really loves his friends.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Sheik, maaaaaaaybe ZSS.

Beyond that its the Ike's player's preference in terms of what characters will do well against them and you're potentially SoL if you aren't using one of those two. Beyond trouble getting out of juggles he doesn't have a major weakness and has quite a number of strengths.

Granted you asked this question right after a major change to shield stun and the like soooooo probably bad timing because every character is changing atm. But Ike's pretty safe on shield now.

yo-yo_guy

Smash Rookie
Ike can get camped out pretty well, as he has no projectile and is slow-ish. ROB is personally the bane of my existence as an Ike main, any character that can camp him out is annoying to fight.

Also you play Kirby and Jiggs so Ike simply out-ranges both of them a lot, so they both really struggle against Ike. Really your only hope is to gimp him (which is easier said than done with your characters) since he's so heavy getting a KO is really difficult.

Appdude

Smash Cadet
All I have for you, is DON'T approach from the air as Kirby. All you need to take is a couple Usmashes from him and your outa there. Also, stay the crap away from him if he starts charging eruption. Literally let him charge alllllllll the way up, and let him hit nothing as you stand there and wait. Ike's bet on stupid people to challenge eruption, which ends in a SUPER early loss of stock for the victim.

yo-yo_guy

Smash Rookie
Also, stay the crap away from him if he starts charging eruption. Literally let him charge alllllllll the way up, and let him hit nothing as you stand there and wait. Ike's bet on stupid people to challenge eruption, which ends in a SUPER early loss of stock for the victim.
Any good Ike player you're going to go up against won't be using eruption except for edge-guarding. In which you'll be forced to approach, your only hope is to go high over the mushroom cloud to stay safe, otherwise try to get to the ledge as quick as possible, don't challenge eruption, you'll lose. And if you do win it's not worth couple percent damage you'll do for the risk of a stock, eruption can kill surprising early.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Y yo-yo_guy The "stay away from Eruption" is still good advice for Kirby and Jiggs when off-stage though, as they have enough jumps to stale out Eruption and punish the ending lag. Experienced Ike players will avoid using Eruption against these 2 unless they know for certain they are low on jumps and have to go for the snap. Against Kirby, it still isn't ideal as his windcutter sharks just like Aether does and can knock Ike out of the Eruption early if he hasn't charged to Super Armor.

As a floaty character, Ike will have a hard time chasing you down when you go for high recoveries and you can use your extra jumps to get a rising air-dodge at middle recoveries to avoid our aerials (assuming he doesn't bait the airdodge) so mix up your recoveries. Ike's biggest KO options are due to limiting your off-stage options to force a confrontation, which makes cinching the KO hard against the balloons. Good Ikes will either rely on their strength to KO you with a tilt at KO% or a lucky off-stage read with F-air because Eruption is harder to get to work. (Though Counter is still an option for Ike if he thinks you'll attack him while he's at the ledge!)

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Most of the "top tiers" are great against him, as well as spacey characters. As well as fighting him - avoid the grab and keep your distance (if possible). If you are a close, melee-style character... again, just avoid the grab and try to keep moving. That's how I battle Ike. Knowing his moves (up B) can also allow you to avoid them.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
If you can juggle Ike his options are very limited/ non-existent.

And don't get grabbed.

D

Deleted member

:4dedede:

Gordo frametraps, f-tilt, his down throw combos and the fact he can take advantage of the predictability of Quick Draw offstage can make him a tough pick against Ike in my honest opinion, and I'm saying this as somebody who has fought very good Ikes. Not to mention Dedede can edgeguard Ike reasonably well with back air and Gordos.

:4pikachu: and :4tlink: are also reasonably good picks. Both can wall out Ike due to their projectiles and take advantage of their superior maneuverability to Ike along with having small frames, and Pikachu is an absolute combo monster and has great stage control thanks to Thunder Jolt and Quick Attack. Toon Link may have issues with his aerials not chaining together properly, but his attacks come out relatively fast and back air and forward air are surprisingly powerful. His bombs having reasonably good range help him get out of sticky situations as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Ike gets camped pretty hard and his only option in CQC are Jab and D-tilt really. Avoid getting grabbed because he has some pretty nasty follow ups.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
If you're fighting the FE sword users with Kirby, your spacing needs to be on point if you want any hits.
Anybody with a sword can outrange Kirby. You can try to force a trade with your excellent Bair, or approach slowly on the ground and do your best to grab them and use your excellent combos out of throws.
Utilt is excellent because the foot has transcendent priority. If they're approaching you and they don't space their attacks well enough you can catch them with this super fast and safe move and start racking up damage.
Also, if they're offstage, GIMP THEM. They should seriously struggle to make it back, just like if they were fighting meta knight. Bait out counters or just spike them with Dair. Space yourself so that you can hit them and still not get hit by their recovery moves.

Funtroon

Smash Apprentice
Any idea on how to punish Ike while he's recovering using Up B? Because of the armor on it, I find it hard to interrupt him and continue an edge guard.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Any idea on how to punish Ike while he's recovering using Up B? Because of the armor on it, I find it hard to interrupt him and continue an edge guard.
Get behind him, or spike him at the apex of his attack. He won't snap to ledge until he completes his spinning at the apex of the jump.

Arrei

Smash Lord
If the armor's stopping you, then you're aiming for the wrong moment. Ike's completely vulnerable during the actual jump, so as long as you've already avoided the sword toss you just need to stick a lingering or well-timed aerial in his way.

Don't get too antsy though - Ike can also choose to go for a reverse Aether and land directly onto the stage instead of the ledge if he expects you to go behind him, which could end in an Aethercide if he's in the lead and catches you in the trapping hitboxes. It's less likely against someone like Jiggles, but fastfallers have to beware.

Last edited:

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
Ike can get camped out pretty well, as he has no projectile and is slow-ish. ROB is personally the bane of my existence as an Ike main, any character that can camp him out is annoying to fight.

Also you play Kirby and Jiggs so Ike simply out-ranges both of them a lot, so they both really struggle against Ike. Really your only hope is to gimp him (which is easier said than done with your characters) since he's so heavy getting a KO is really difficult.
Jiggs can gimp us pretty well if we're below the stage; aether is kind of our only option, so we can't throw out his laggy aerials.

Top Bottom