• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with flip kick?

Xamrock

Smash Rookie
NNID
DizzyIsABadNinja
I've been fighting a lot of diddys recently and no matter who i play i literally dont know how to deal with flip kick. I know how to punish it if they use it above me but in the neutral its super hard to react to. Any tips?

Oh also tips for Cloud vs Diddy would be nice as well since i hear he wins the matchup decently.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
If you can react to the kick then shield isn't really a bad option and you might be able to punish if it's not spaced properly. Of course this is risky because of the command grab. Generally Diddy is going to use this tool to condition you and the smartest players will not throw it out senselessly, so the best universal option to beat side b is spot dodge or sidestep. You have to just be ready to react to it. Of course, there's nothing you can do if you get combo'd into it by Bair or your poor landing gets caught, but dealing with it in the neutral is just about practice.

In addition to learning how to spot dodge on reaction to Diddy's side b, you should learn how to deal with banana. Learn to play defensively and patiently when Diddy has the banana because doing something unsafe on his shield means damage or death. I can see that you main Cloud and for this particular matchup I'm guessing baiting an approach with limit charge and focusing on retreating Nairs is a good idea. Nair is huge and safe when retreating, and the air is just generally a good place to be when Diddy has a banana since you can't trip. Going for dash attacks isn't a bad idea because if you think Diddy is going to toss the banana you can catch it, though the counterplay to this is shield which will be bad for you. In the event that you do aquire the banana you have some good options. Banana into usmash/dsmash as well as any of your limit specials is true.

Did I get it right Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 ? On a side note I think this thread could use an anti Diddy guide now that Diddy is once again the number one top tier and is growing in tournament popularity.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
If you can react to the kick then shield isn't really a bad option and you might be able to punish if it's not spaced properly. Of course this is risky because of the command grab. Generally Diddy is going to use this tool to condition you and the smartest players will not throw it out senselessly, so the best universal option to beat side b is spot dodge or sidestep. You have to just be ready to react to it. Of course, there's nothing you can do if you get combo'd into it by Bair or your poor landing gets caught, but dealing with it in the neutral is just about practice.

In addition to learning how to spot dodge on reaction to Diddy's side b, you should learn how to deal with banana. Learn to play defensively and patiently when Diddy has the banana because doing something unsafe on his shield means damage or death. I can see that you main Cloud and for this particular matchup I'm guessing baiting an approach with limit charge and focusing on retreating Nairs is a good idea. Nair is huge and safe when retreating, and the air is just generally a good place to be when Diddy has a banana since you can't trip. Going for dash attacks isn't a bad idea because if you think Diddy is going to toss the banana you can catch it, though the counterplay to this is shield which will be bad for you. In the event that you do aquire the banana you have some good options. Banana into usmash/dsmash as well as any of your limit specials is true.

Did I get it right Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 ? On a side note I think this thread could use an anti Diddy guide now that Diddy is once again the number one top tier and is growing in tournament popularity.
Pretty much. Not a lot to argue against.

I would suggest learning how to DJC item toss. Basically, jump, and then jump and toss the item at the same time. You can move around and get some janky movement with this, and it is useful because M2's jcit sucks.

MF/K is a really good move. But not unbeatable. Fair can trade favorably with it and it is possible to react too. The main problem is when someone knows the autocancel spacing or correct spacing, as it is nearly unpunishable then. If they misspace it, then try going for a 50/50 DA/grab read. Not a whole lot I can help with. Most of MU stuff right now is theories.

Top Bottom