• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with Cloud's side B + Cloud counters?

NerFox

Smash Cadet
Hi. I play Smash very casually but just did some matches against my brother, who is pretty good for a casual, and we were having fun until he picked Cloud and started spamming side-B. I got so pissed lol. I played as Cloud a few matches before that happened and I also used side-B but I dont know if I spammed it as much... We both didnt know how to deal with Cloud's side-B since it looks and feels like he can spam it all day to rack up damage for free. I've always found Cloud a "fun to play as character" but I HATE going against him. It's just that he's a solid high tier AND fairly, if I can say this without getting shot, easy to play which gives an unfair feeling imo. Now I just want to ask advice from Cloud mains/players on how to deal with side-B spam and git gud.That I know of spam always should be punishable right? And I know Cloud isn't broken at all but imo he's a nightmare for casuals and I just want to be able to beat him.

Also what characters do you Cloud mains have the most trouble with going against? What characters are solid counters for Cloud Strife?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

SpicyGPXD

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty new and only have 600+ hours in Ultimate and very little tournament experience. So take everything I say with a grain of salt. That said this is what I know.

Just shield the side-B. Wait and if he goes through with the entire move grab him, or hit him with a fast move. It has a decent amount of lag.

Cloud can have a hard time recovering so try to keep him off stage and stop him from recovering.

Keep an eye on his limit. It only lasts 15 seconds. So wait it out and play safe while he has it or try to get him to waste it.

Cloud can have a hard time getting kills without limit.

I would say some solid counters for Cloud are Mega Man and Snake. It can be very hard for cloud to get near them.

NerFox

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty new and only have 600+ hours in Ultimate and very little tournament experience. So take everything I say with a grain of salt. That said this is what I know.

Just shield the side-B. Wait and if he goes through with the entire move grab him, or hit him with a fast move. It has a decent amount of lag.

Cloud can have a hard time recovering so try to keep him off stage and stop him from recovering.

Keep an eye on his limit. It only lasts 15 seconds. So wait it out and play safe while he has it or try to get him to waste it.

Cloud can have a hard time getting kills without limit.

I would say some solid counters for Cloud are Mega Man and Snake. It can be very hard for cloud to get near them.
Thanks for responding!

I think 600+ hours is actually not bad at all. I didnt even know cross slash had endlag. Yesterday my brother as Cloud used cross slash a lot in the air actually. I was Ike.

Hmm do you think Ridley might give Cloud some trouble? Snake and Mega Man are some of my least favorite characters to play as. xD

SpicyGPXD

Smash Rookie
Hmm do you think Ridley might give Cloud some trouble?
Probably not Ridley or any other heavies. Cloud has a really easy time juggling him. The only advantage for Ridley I can think of is it might be pretty easy for him to ledge guard Cloud. But you should try it out.

Personally I have never had trouble with a Ridley while playing Cloud.

KavMaster

Smash Rookie
Side B is probably Cloud's strongest special. The only other moves that will challenge it for best in his moveset are his Forward Air and Back Air. If the Cloud player is smart, they will usually punish with Side B at a low percent, so watch for that. If you're higher up, they might FSmash, as Cloud's FSmash is a 3 hit killer. Side B gets extremely punished on shield. If you put that up, there's a chance that they keep going through with the animation. This can lead to a quick special punish of your own, or (usually the more safe and used option) some sort of grab.

With your question about Ridley, Cloud wins that matchup very easily (imo). Ridley only really has a side B that can grab Cloud out of shield, but that's about it. If you want a counter-pick to Cloud, try the Rats or Inkling. Pika and Pichu are both quick and powerful, with hitboxes that can be a bit jank at times. Inkling can use Neutral B to buff it's attack, and then juggle Cloud easily. Find a character that can juggle Cloud, as their only way out if you don't drop the juggle is UpB or a very well place DAir.

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom