• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with Captain Falcon?

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
since i am not able to figure it out myself..i thought i might try to ask some advice...

so here is the thing, currently Captain Falcon is that 1 character i really struggle against, especially when i play with :ultzelda: & :ultpeach:
this started to happen when i reached over 4/4.5 mil with certain characters
his moves always come out faster and if it's a good player then i get punished to much and yeah that can be frustrating at some point
the only character of mine who is capable of beating him and can make him struggle as well is :ulttoonlink: but ironically i rarely get a Captain falcon in my lobby when i decided to pick Toon Link (i play FFA and team matches the most but still no Captain F lol)
i often get 1 if i play with any other character and since i play :ultpeach::ultzelda::ulttoonlink: the most, i do hope people can tell me how the 2 princesses can perform better against a captain Falcon? because i don't want him to be a frustration anymore, it's even to the point that i get real nervous playing against him even if idk yet whether it's a good player or not

but if it helps i also have other characters i like to i play as, if anyone think they can deal well with Falcon.. then i would love to hear it!

these characters i like to play too and i do not consider myself a noob with them!
:ultrosalina::ultroy::ultpalutena::ultfalco::ultdarkpit::ultvillager::ultyounglink::ultpit::ultinklingboy:

Last edited:

falcon PUNCH!!!

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
sw-5103-3346-4530
Hi there! As a Falcon main, I feel I can help you out a bit. but the best I can do is play some matches with you to help increase matchup knowledge.

GhostM

Phantom
Falcon has a rushdown archetype, which means that he has an aggressive playstyle against opponents that can easily punish slow characters. Falcon isn’t entirely an aggressive playstyle since he has glaring weaknesses that hinder his true speed. Falcon is an easy character to combo against due to his weight, and any characters with projectiles can be difficult for him to put up with. Peach is a character that has amazing combo potential and great options to edgeguarding your opponents, which is one of Falcon’s glaring weaknesses. The only options for Falcon to recover back on stage is his regular recovery which can easily be gimped, airdodging that can be punished if you read it correctly, and side b that can also be gimped sometimes. And if you’re lucky, you can utilize rockcrocking by teching after being hit by Falcon’s up B and edgeguard him, since landing a recovery move with Falcon places him at a horrible and vulnerable angle where he can’t do anything against you.

One of Falcon’s weaknesses is his horrible turnaround speed which lasts 14 frames, meaning that it is difficult for him to escape from danger by running the opposite direction (especially since he has the slowest turnaround speed of all characters). Pushing out safe aerials and quick moves will allow you to pressure Falcon, since his only real options are to shield, roll, jab or perform other quick moves to push you away. If he tries to dash away, he will most likely be punished for it.

Another weakness is that Falcon’s hitboxes lack range, shown by the small hitboxes from thunder kick that can whiff when you play a short character that can duck right under it. Spacing your attacks against Falcon properly can make it difficult for him to approach, since his moves can’t reach as far as yours.

Oh yeah, not to forget that certain moves like his jab after parrying and raptor boost (side b) tend to whiff sometimes, which can easily guarantee you a punish against Falcon. It’s not necessarily because of the player, but rather because the moves don’t function as well as you think they do.

Probably the best thing to do alongside these tips is to learn how to parry, since it opens up more opportunities to punish any character, and Falcon’s weight makes him a perfect punching bag for combos. It might seem like it’s a small tip, but it’s the best tip to use for any character.

Top Bottom