• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to counter Yoshi?

D

Deleted member

This is getting old...

The Yoshi matchup for superheavies in general feels unwinnable. How do I counter such an overly mobile character with a sluggish tank?

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
It seems that you need to learn your character more than anything, I practiced Mac for 2 months before focusing on difficult matches (i.e. Peach)

Who are you currently fighting Yoshi with?

D

Deleted member

It seems that you need to learn your character more than anything, I practiced Mac for 2 months before focusing on difficult matches (i.e. Peach)

Who are you currently fighting Yoshi with?
I'm using Pokemon Trainer, mainly Charizard. I only started using him a few days ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
I'm using Pokemon Trainer, mainly Charizard. I only started using him a few days ago.
I wouldn't suggest maining a single part of a 3 in 1, but I get wanting to understand a powerhouse like Charizard a little better. You're Pokemon get a bit of invincibility when changing but if you die and you're spending 2 moves switching back to Charizard, your opponent is gonna have a 0 to death already planned out

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't suggest maining a single part of a 3 in 1, but I get wanting to understand a powerhouse like Charizard a little better. You're Pokemon get a bit of invincibility when changing but if you die and you're spending 2 moves switching back to Charizard, your opponent is gonna have a 0 to death already planned out
It's not like that. After dying, Ivysaur gets used briefly before I find the opportunity to pull out Charizard.

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
It's not like that. After dying, Ivysaur gets used briefly before I find the opportunity to pull out Charizard.
Alright that's good, I'm just saying they all have thier uses still. Ivy or Squirtle is the neutral for most and Charizard kills, some switch to Charizard at high percent because he's the heaviest

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Yoshi into Pkmn Trainer in general is in Yoshi's favor. If you want to use a super heavy into Yoshi, someone like DK is a way better option.

Yoshi hates being juggled. DK has the best juggle. It adds up like an u-air.

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi into Pkmn Trainer in general is in Yoshi's favor. If you want to use a super heavy into Yoshi, someone like DK is a way better option.

Yoshi hates being juggled. DK has the best juggle. It adds up like an u-air.
True but I wouldn't suggest just picking up whoever will beat your opponent

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
True but I wouldn't suggest just picking up whoever will beat your opponent
Sure, but he said "super heavies". If you want a super heavy that can fight Yoshi with the least stress, that's DK.

If you want to beat Yoshi with Pokemon Trainer, that's "Switching to Ivysaur and playing the entire match as Ivysaur until he's at 130%, then up-throwing with Charizard".

D

Deleted member

Sure, but he said "super heavies". If you want a super heavy that can fight Yoshi with the least stress, that's DK.

If you want to beat Yoshi with Pokemon Trainer, that's "Switching to Ivysaur and playing the entire match as Ivysaur until he's at 130%, then up-throwing with Charizard".
I have no confidence in DK anymore.

I use Charizard more for the purpose of getting good with him as he's the game's worst character. I've won quite a few matches with this tactic of "use Charizard the most, and Ivysaur sometimes" and you're telling me I'm not supposed to play like this as if it won't beat Yoshi, even though this was only one time.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Most heavies have huge disjoints which is always a problem for Yoshi. Bowser DK especially do well in just tossing their fair/bair at yoshi offstage and killing him easily, whether it's taking his DJ or just keep him off until he expends all his jumps/egg toss hops.

Charizard is similar to Bowser. Just get Yoshi offstage and use Fair, not as huge as Bowser's goddamn crescent moon sized fair but still sorta similar.

Top Bottom