• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to counter K. Rool?

pezaddict

Smash Lord
Disclaimer: I'm nowhere close to being a pro at the game. I'm probably decent to below average at best, competitively speaking. Also, I haven't been on these forums in quite some time, so sorry if this thread breaks some kind of rule.

Anyway, I mostly play with my friends locally for fun, and generally I do well. But one of my friends uses King K. Rool and I have trouble against him unless I use a character with a lot of ranged attacks. In general (and specifically, if you'd like), how do you counter K. Rool? No offense to you K. Rool lovers, but I find him super annoying to play against. He has powerful ranged and close-range attacks without a lot of weaknesses. Normally I try not to take the game super seriously, but King K. Rool is very annoying to me and I'd like to do better when I'm up against him.

Educate me: what's a good way to counter King K. Rool? Thank you in advance!

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
I mean the BEST ways to beat him is to either camp him since he really can’t do too much against campers cuz he’s so big and slow.(one of his potential worst MUs is villager for example), but if you can’t do then just play rushdown. He has terrible start up and some of the game’s worst end lag, combined with trifling range...yeah he can’t really in defend himself once you get in... at all.

Guess the last tip would be:If you play anyone with a linear recovery he can gimp you with his nair armor and powerful counter. However it goes basically double for him-his recovery only “ok” horizontally,and he has to go in these really awkward angles to recover... really slowly. making him really easy to stage spike thanks to no horizontal protection(or use a disjointed spike to get by the propeller hitbox it’s really small actually)

pezaddict

Smash Lord
Thanks for the in-depth response! My worry about rushdown is that he can just use that counter move of his. I know you can just grab and throw to beat a counter, but is there a visual cue that he has that would indicate his down B?

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Thanks for the in-depth response! My worry about rushdown is that he can just use that counter move of his. I know you can just grab and throw to beat a counter, but is there a visual cue that he has that would indicate his down B?
King K. Rool's counter is only on his stomach, so if you hit him from above or behind, he will be unable to counter or armor. It's also worth noting that King K. Rool's counter does not count as an armor move, so his belly will not take damage while the counter is active.

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
To be frank, Krool has more weaknesses than you acknowledge. Almost his entire character is a weakness. The easiest way (which is very reliable way to be honest) to beat Krool is not to challenge his attacks or projectiles, but attack him during the end lag of those attacks. He's dumb slow, so when he whiffs an attack, it's a HUGE opening.

pezaddict

Smash Lord
King K. Rool's counter is only on his stomach, so if you hit him from above or behind, he will be unable to counter or armor. It's also worth noting that King K. Rool's counter does not count as an armor move, so his belly will not take damage while the counter is active.
Good to know! I didn't know that was an option. Very interesting.

To be frank, Krool has more weaknesses than you acknowledge. Almost his entire character is a weakness. The easiest way (which is very reliable way to be honest) to beat Krool is not to challenge his attacks or projectiles, but attack him during the end lag of those attacks. He's dumb slow, so when he whiffs an attack, it's a HUGE opening.
Probably, but if I knew his weaknesses, I wouldn't have made the thread :-P Good information, in any case, so thanks.

Top Bottom