• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to charge cancel

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys,

I have watched some Samus tournament videos on youtube and noticed that Quik in particular cancels his charge shot charge a LOT. Here is an example at 2:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj2wUkd7nXc

Now, how do I do that? I searched online but found nothing. Maybe the name is wrong?
Or does he just execute a jump cancel and waveland immediately? For that, it does look a bit too frame perfect for me.

Would appreciate your input.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
You mean when he menaces his opponent by making charge motions before just releasing it? As far as I know that's just what happens if you tap the shield button so that input doesn't persist through the charge cancel animation, the character simply stops charging without bringing up their shield. It doesn't behave the same way in the air though, you'll always airdodge.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
You mean when he menaces his opponent by making charge motions before just releasing it? As far as I know that's just what happens if you tap the shield button so that input doesn't persist through the charge cancel animation, the character simply stops charging without bringing up their shield. It doesn't behave the same way in the air though, you'll always airdodge.
I gave it a try in practice and you are right. You can hold the shield button for up to 4 frames and the charge will be cancelled without the shield being brought up. This is even possible before the actual charge is seen.
Big respect to quik to manage it that consistently under such pressure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom