• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to catch diddy's banana a certain way

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
hey guys, i've been maining diddy for about over a year now and was wondering something specific about the banana catch.

I, of course always use the grab button to catch a banana after down B, but I myself notice sometimes the most "optimal" way to catch the banana is how you can catch it with just barely jumping. I don't know how to explain it but I'll try

Basically when I watch most of the top diddy's they will catch their banana (using the grab button) by barely jumping off the ground, kind of just a little short hop while waiting for the banana to fall a bit more and that's it. No need to fast fall since the height you went to get it is lower. Instead when I catch the banana I jump a bit, then fast fall.

It seems the technique where you can kind of stay grounded more is better. I was wondering what inputs and how this is done consistently, thank you.

Spatman

Smash Ace
sorry, I don't understand what do you mean. Could you post a video where a diddy does this thing?

Zeke78

Smash Rookie
if you mean the backwards short hop where you do a backflip then I know what you mean

EmpireCrusher203

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-7161-9170
There are many ways to grab a banana, the majority of them involve backflipping into a z-catch then fast falling, however you can use Popgun Cancelling, b-reverse, and monkey flipping to mix it up.

The one I mostly use is done throught he following steps:
Step 1: Pluck a banana. Make sure you do the short-distance input, done by softly pushing down on the control stick
Step 2: Buffer a turn-around
Step 3: Do a short hop backflip (back flips are done by jumping then immediately pressing back, if you turn around then you are pressing back too early)
Step 4: Z-catch, done by lightly pressing R or L (whatever you have set to airdodge), once the are near the banana
Step 5: Fastfall

It a simple flow of inputs but it takes a lot of practice, so I recommend practicing this daily so it becomes pure muscle memory. FYI, instead of backflipping you can simply turn around and short hop then z-catch, without backflipping. But my method looks flashy :p

Top Bottom