How to catch diddy's banana a certain way

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
hey guys, i've been maining diddy for about over a year now and was wondering something specific about the banana catch.

I, of course always use the grab button to catch a banana after down B, but I myself notice sometimes the most "optimal" way to catch the banana is how you can catch it with just barely jumping. I don't know how to explain it but I'll try

Basically when I watch most of the top diddy's they will catch their banana (using the grab button) by barely jumping off the ground, kind of just a little short hop while waiting for the banana to fall a bit more and that's it. No need to fast fall since the height you went to get it is lower. Instead when I catch the banana I jump a bit, then fast fall.

It seems the technique where you can kind of stay grounded more is better. I was wondering what inputs and how this is done consistently, thank you.

Spatman

Smash Ace
sorry, I don't understand what do you mean. Could you post a video where a diddy does this thing?

EmpireCrusher203

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-7161-9170
There are many ways to grab a banana, the majority of them involve backflipping into a z-catch then fast falling, however you can use Popgun Cancelling, b-reverse, and monkey flipping to mix it up.

The one I mostly use is done throught he following steps:
Step 1: Pluck a banana. Make sure you do the short-distance input, done by softly pushing down on the control stick
Step 2: Buffer a turn-around
Step 3: Do a short hop backflip (back flips are done by jumping then immediately pressing back, if you turn around then you are pressing back too early)
Step 4: Z-catch, done by lightly pressing R or L (whatever you have set to airdodge), once the are near the banana
Step 5: Fastfall

It a simple flow of inputs but it takes a lot of practice, so I recommend practicing this daily so it becomes pure muscle memory. FYI, instead of backflipping you can simply turn around and short hop then z-catch, without backflipping. But my method looks flashy :p

Top Bottom