• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Buffer Dthrow Chaingrab - Explained in Detail!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
The only reason I ever thought of Z-stick is because in Melee I learned to play in 1 player mode so I couldn't use the C-stick. For all of my Melee career I didn't use the C-stick, and in brawl I basically continued the same trend. I never used it, so I thought there had to be SOME use for it, and Z-stick worked.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I think what ESAM is saying is that you can separate the two issues when trying to learn the buffer chain grab: the timing and releasing the button in time. While it might not be necessary for everyone, I could see it being easier to learn the timing with the z-stick first and then using a button after youre certain you have the timing down and arent making a mistake in that area.
I get what he's saying, but the point is that you're not learning any kind of timing with the z-stick...... you don't need timing for the z-stick. The margin of error for timing itself is much bigger.

So when you use the z-stick, the "timing" you're getting down might not even be the correct timing, lol.

Whatevs, though, I'm done debating about it. @.@

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You still need to buffer it at the right time Kaylo. What the hell are you talking about have no timing? Its not like you can tap the Z-stick as soon as you start the throw and it'll buffer again...

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
But you can spam the stick, and you don't have to let go on a certain frame, meaning you can start the next grab later with the z-stick than you can with a button.

The release part of using a button is part of the timing for the CG. -____-

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
No ****, but thats the point. Memorizing TWO timings at once is harder than ONE timing first and then ONE timing later. If you are trying to get the timing people aren't gonna spam the stick, they aren't that stupid.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
No need to learn it with c-stick first. Just learn both timings at once, it's not that hard. All you're doing is pressing a button...

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
A really, really unnecessary one.

Also, you missed the point of my last post, but whatever. Z-stick away.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
No need to learn it with c-stick first. Just learn both timings at once, it's not that hard. All you're doing is pressing a button...
I think thats a poor assumption to make. For some people it could be pretty hard, and therefore makes it useful. You cant just judge it from your own experience.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Wow I'm glad I saw this... great post. After practicing a bit, I decided that the easiest button to do this with is in fact the Z button. If you only press the very edge of the Z button, with the very tip of your finger (my fingernail touches the Z button), then I bet you cut the number of frames that the Z button is held down by at least half. The only reason I drop CGs now is if I don't press the Z button hard enough lol, and that barely ever happens. Thanks K' :)

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
pic is super helpful.
for any pikas who use Z (if it hasnt already been said) just flicking the edge of the z button is the easiest way to do it imo

edit: awwww dla beat me to it haha. yeah thats the easiest way imo tho dla!

Roller

Smash Legend
Good work here Prime. Wish I had this when I was learning how to buffer cg...

And for the rest of you out there. Yes, some people find it easier to do with X or whatever, and that works fine. But if you don't feel like re-learning which button to grab with, in addition to learning buffer timings, you all should know that doing this with Z is perfectly manageable. To each his own, just don't assume that switching the buttons is the only way.

Hael Phael

Smash Ace
This thread was super useful and if you are flicking the z button i usually just find watching pika's feet to be the easiest way to judge the timing, It's not hard once you have the grab in muscle memory, I cg all the time on wifi lol

BlueBomber26

Smash Rookie
Thanks for this Prime. I'm learning to buffer CG now and this is loads of help, especially with the frame counter in the corner of the gif.

If you did something like this for the forward throw CG that would be really helpful too.

TheFabledCuk

Smash Rookie
So lets say I kill my opponent with a move right out of the chain grab. How many moves do I need to use before the down throw is fresh enough to use the chain grab again? Is there a certain number of different moves I must do? Or can I jab on the edge of the stage a certain amount of times?

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
isnt it something like 10 moves for the stale move registry? Pikachu tends to be pretty good at resetting his moves though with Fair Bair Jab and Pummles you have some decent choices.

Tube of Jokes

Smash Rookie
So lets say I kill my opponent with a move right out of the chain grab. How many moves do I need to use before the down throw is fresh enough to use the chain grab again? Is there a certain number of different moves I must do? Or can I jab on the edge of the stage a certain amount of times?
You want to have the chaingrab as staled as possible. This makes it weaker -> opponent flies shorter -> easier to regrab. So if you ever fail in the chaingrab, you could just regrab and continue of where you left.

Or can I jab on the edge of the stage a certain amount of times?:
A move is only registred in the stale move registery if it hist something that takes damage(opponent, shyguy, etc).

Top Bottom