• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to buff Mewtwo

M2 Is God

Smash Rookie
Currently I am Still maining Mewtwo. People currently say that he is a Mid tier some even say low tier. I think Mewtwo is being under rated and is being slept on. Since there is not a lot of representation for the character and is not being pushed far in the meta. Mewtwo has great strengths. For one , he has a good combo game. An incredible recovery. His edge guarding is busted (Not Joker busted), and he has one of the most powerful projectiles in the game. However there some things that need to be fixed in order to address his weakness´s without getting rid of them. Here is how I would buff my favorite character

To start His tail gets in the way of everything. The hurtbox on Mewtwo´s tail makes him a punching bag which is terrible combined with his large size. He will get clipped by attacks that should connect and is make his disadvantage state awful. The tail size of the intangible part at the tip is about 6 units which is a similar size to Toon Links sword. To fix this issue, Mewtwo´s tail hurtbox side ideally should be reduced by about half of it´s previous size.(I would like there to be no hurtbox but that is never happening) This will make him less of a punching bag and he wont be combo food. This will make his disadvantage much better, but not great. But that´s okay, we don´t want to remove his weakness´s entirely.

The next important weakness that needs to be addressed. His unreasonably low weight , being at a weight 77. That is lighter than Pikachu. Combined with his floatiness, it makes get Ko´ed way earlier than normal. Being 269 pounds in the Pokemon games, it does not make sense for him to be this light. I would buff Mewtwo´s weight to 88. This is about the same weight as Greninja and this will help him survive longer. Mewtwo will still die early even with this buff but it makes it a little more due-able.

Next is Mewtwo´s move set. This needs to be addressed carefully because has already had a huge buff on all his tail attacks. First his throws. I would increase the hitstun and decrease the knockback of Mewtwo´s down throw so he can follow up with something. And I speed up his up throw because it looks cool(Thanks Magic Scrumpy). His up smash will have a slight larger hitbox so it can hit opponents on the ground properly and Give slightly more priority to his neutral air ( The move wont often trade still).

Let me Know what you guys think. Do you agree with me? What would you change?

SighDucky

Smash Rookie
i very much agree with this. They did "fix" his tail a couple patches ago but yeah its still a problem, thankfully the patch team is starting to listen to the community more so hopefully they buff Mewtwo more.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
I still can't believe that Mewtwo is a damn featherweight and even lighter than Pickachu, Kirby or Olimar. It's so ridiciulous that you could believe that its a typo that just got overlooked over and over again. It makes no sense what so ever.

I wonder how the balance team decided on that.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I don't think that Mewtwo's weight and tail hurtbox are a problem at all. What I would like is for his Nair to have better combo ability like in Smash 4 and for his Fair to be able to combo into itself. Mewtwo was a pretty good character in that game thanks to his increased speed and his Nair follow ups despite his weight and hurtbox.

mewtwogod

Smash Rookie
Also make him heavier. Hes about 200 lbs in the pokemon games so it would make sense. Also it mean no more dying to dsmash at 70%
o wait m2 is god already said that, but its the only thing i want really, seeing as tail hurtbox got smaller.

godogod

Smash Ace
-Remove Tail Hurtbox.
-Weight Increase 79 to 85.

Done!
Next character.
The tail hurtbox would be helpful. But him getting his melee weight back isn't going to be huge impact. He's tall and floaty so he could be more combo food. What would be more significant is if he got his down tilt, forward aerial and neutral air (more active frames) some capacity back.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
No tail hurtbox or at least give it intangibility on the moves that use it. I shouldn't be trading so often when I use back air.
Weight up to 85.
Bigger hitbox on the top of up smash so that one of the biggest characters in the game isn't failing to hit lower platforms anymore. Better hitboxes so the move connects better and people don't fall out.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Honestly I'm happy with up smash, at least compared to how worse it used to be, but there's always room for improvement, yeah.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
to this day people sleep on mewtwo's viability...

high mid or low high tier IMO

he does need a few fixes tho; imo they should either increase his weight or reduce the tail hurtbox, he doesnt really need both changed. Also confusion needs less startup, less endlag, or more active frames of the hitbox (grab box?). its perfectly fine as a reflector but the command grab aspect of it is kinda lackluster, if they leave it as is I hope they at least increase his standard grab range slightly. There's been numerous times where I whiff a grab point blank despite the orb directly touching the opponent. Doesn't make much sense considering how he's supposed to be powerful psychic.

I'd also change his down tilt to allow for more combo's off the tipper, obviously having less followups than the close range version. His shadowball is rly good but I think it should have transcendent priority (like wolf laser) when fully charged and completely ignore all other attacks, due to being made of ghostly shadows. although fully charged shadow ball already ignores most projectiles due to its damage output.

ALSO disable should be completely unblockable and ignore armor, making it much more of a high risk:high reward move than it is rn. Its already balanced by not working in the air and requiring eye contact, plus the stun has a shorter duration at higher percents.

ideally his teleport would have less lag and not put him in freefall, but that might be asking for a bit much

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
IMO, upper mid / lower high.

My changes:

*Attributes

-Hard landing lag decreased (5 frames → 3 frames)
-Tail Hurtbox removed.
-Weight increased (79 → 85)
-Air Dodge Startup decreased (frame 3 → 2)

*Up smash

-Endlag decreased (FAF 68 → 56)
-Slightly larger hitbox so it links reliably. (Noticeably under PS2 platforms)

*Dash Grab

-Horizontal lunge reduced when hitbox disappears.

*Forward Throw

-Shadow ball hitbox size increased (8u → 10u)
-SDI multiplier reduced (1.0x → 0x)

*Neutral Air

-Endlag decreased (FAF 49 → 42)

*Side Special | Confusion

-No longer stalls M2’s horizontal momentum.

*Down Special | Disable

-Damage increased on Aerial ver (1% → 5%)

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, the grab. It's frustrating how little of a hitbox it has. Doesn't cover Mewtwo's hand well, and due to Mewtwo's height, often whiffs on small characters. Give it a tiny bit more horizontal range, and a longer hitbox vertically so that it catches small characters better.

I would also appreciate it if Shadow Ball didn't get negated by things sometimes. You'd think the fully charged SB would pass through platforms and hit the opponent no sweat, but it annoyingly gets eaten by the platform. A rare nuisance, so not the most important change, but I would still very much appreciate it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom