• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how to be the best

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
- only watch videos of your main, mango or armada.

- get as technical as possible. master everything.

- practice mindfully. focus on one component or new skill in blocks of time (i.e. 5 mins, or 10 mins, etc.)

- don't play too much melee at once. anything more than 90 minutes with the same person (including yourself) is overkill. you're not learning anything new. you're just reinforcing bad habits. focus on what you still need to master and go back to your room to practice it

- only compete against people better than you. play to learn against everyone else.

- pick one character and play it 90% of the time

- relinquish your ego and quiet your mind (meditate dawg)

- do not play while tired or hungry. if you are playing in this state realize you are creating an addiction. man up and refuel.

DanteFox

Smash Champion

- practice mindfully. focus on one component or new skill in blocks of time (i.e. 5 mins, or 10 mins, etc.)

- don't play too much melee at once. anything more than 90 minutes with the same person (including yourself) is overkill. you're not learning anything new. you're just reinforcing bad habits. focus on what you still need to master and go back to your room to practice it

- only compete against people better than you. play to learn against everyone else.

- do not play while tired or hungry. if you are playing in this state realize you are creating an addiction. man up and refuel.
:bow:

Easily better than every 10-page tutorial on the melee discussion board.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion

very nice actually. for someone who doesn't actively compete you sure know a lot. i'm currently trying to overcome the last one, I'm super guilty of playing while hungry.

AKARed

Smash Apprentice
isn't hungrybox better than mango now? Zhu, are you going to the next campbell tourney on feb 4? I wanna play again. ggs at the last tourney. I'll try not to get 4-stocked by you this time.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i'm not disagreeing with you, but i'd like to probe on about a few things

only watch videos of your main, mango or armada.
are you saying that watching other videos is detrimental in some way, or are you just saying it doesn't do much for you in terms of improvement?

don't play too much melee at once. anything more than 90 minutes with the same person (including yourself) is overkill. you're not learning anything new. you're just reinforcing bad habits. focus on what you still need to master and go back to your room to practice it
good **** on actually explicitly STATING this

i always feel that i get really mindless/lazy/burnt-out after an hour or two, but i usually just soldier on because i love playing melee, even though i know it's not nearly as productive or satisfying as when i'm playing with a fresh mind.

i USUALLY just find some excuse to take a break just so i can come back to the game refreshed and ready to go, but when i don't, i just make myself keep going at it.

i always knew that tanking it and continuing didn't really teach you anything new, but it had never crossed my mind that it reinforced bad habits. thank you for pointing that out.

btw, what do you think about playing constantly for a long period of time with multiple people?

do not play while tired or hungry. if you are playing in this state realize you are creating an addiction. man up and refuel.
i think this goes hand-in-hand with playing for a long-*** time without resting. it creates a similar state of mind, except it just feels worse.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
isn't hungrybox better than mango now?
doubtful, but irrelevant. dont watch the mango of the last year and a half. watch mango from 08-'10.

are you saying that watching other videos is detrimental in some way, or are you just saying it doesn't do much for you in terms of improvement?
if i am saying the former the latter is included. i am saying the former.

i dont really think watching vids does anythiing for you after a certain point. if you've been in the community for years you're well past that point. if you're brand new, watch vids of your main, and only your main, to understand certain concepts. if you're a vet dont watch anything cept your own matches

i think it inhibits creativity. concern yourself only with you and the way you play the character.

thank you for pointing that out.
thank you for thanking me (and zoo, and dante)

btw, what do you think about playing constantly for a long period of time with multiple people?
good question. i'm not sure. while i strongly suspect that this game is just so energy-intensive on your brain that playing it longer than 90 minutes straight results in serious diminishing returns, i think there's a lot to be said for throwing yourself in different situations for concentrated periods of time.

what if you rarely get to play with a lot of people? that's the big draw of going to tournies and smashfests, right? maybe the experience of novelty -- playing new styles, people better than you, the added pressure of rotations -- helps your game more than a diminished ability to focus and compartmentalize hurts it.

at the same time why not combine the best of both worlds: after 90 minutes of playing with a group of players, get up, go outside for a bit, stretch, walk around, cook some food, read a book, whatever. do something like that for 15 minutes. after that decide if you want to continue playing.

it's not an exact science (nothing is), and since everyone is unique it will differ from person-to-person, but it's like any sport: you need to keep your mind and body well-maintained. in all the major sports athletes are constantly refueling on the sidelines, constantly giving their all and then coming out for a bit to rest.

the body and mind are phenomenally powerful forces, so you can put insane amounts of wear and tear on them and not even notice the effects, but by becoming and maintaining constant awareness on their performance you can tweak things and give it what it needs to ensure optimal performance.

joeplicate

Smash Master
i think mass exposure is really important if you want to get better

which doesn't mean "play for 12 hours straight twice a week," since you get burnt out

but i can always feel noticeable improvement after a smash-filled weekend
everything in your repertoire gets back up to speed. it feels like my mind shifts focus, from re-learning the things i know to looking for entirely new opportunities.

after like a full day or two of smash, it feels like there's less going on in the game. i don't have to look for as much as i did before; your mind automatically parses through all the information on the screen, and looks for the critical opportunities--different spots to check for a tech, when to react and when to cover space with an attack, etc.

again, taking breaks is the ****. but i find that if you play like 6 or 7 hours, you can break it up into 3 blocks of time, with breaks between 20 minutes and 90 minutes. i think this is mostly personal preference; people handle different time periods differently, and your willingness to smash fluctuates depending on a million other circumstances. in my opinion, just stop playing when you feel yourself getting upset, making tiny johns, having less fun, or feel your tech skill slipping. (omg why is it so hard to short hop all the sudden?)

stretching and eating = godly breaktime, especially if you're at someone's house

if you want to improve at something, come to it often and with love

Lovage

Smash Hero
i don't really have a problem with grind sessions (1-4 hours) as long as you can stay productive and actually keep part of your brain focused on smash and not daydream. it's really easy to sit down on a tv for 2 hours, play 150 matches of smash and learn absolutely nothing because you weren't really interested and didn't put any thought into it.

please know that i'm not talking about super seriousmode tryhard 100% focus friendlies, those can be just as toxic as apathetic button-pushing. you gotta find the sweetspot for grind sessions where the game is relaxing and super enjoyable, but still use enough of your grey matter to understand why you're losing, pick up on your opponent's habits, and learn more about the game.

my only tip for people grinding it out at smashfests is: f#ck ROTATIONS! i hate rotations of 4 or more people. if you lose you're gonna be really salty for 15 minutes while you sit and watch other people play, it's so lame. if ever there's a rotation like this, i just ask if i can play one person for 3 matches, or play everyone one time, and then go sit out for a while and go do to a different tv/do other ****

edit:

if you want to improve at something, come to it often and with love
good way to put it

this is what i've thought for a long time

the ultimate, #1, super-pro top secret tip for getting really good at melee is you gotta love the game (should be really easy cuz melee's sick as ****)

if you don't love the game, or you can't see yourself loving it anymore, or you feel like you're forcing yourself to play it, you aren't gonna see real improvement and you're gonna end up hating everything!

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
I got one question, kinda similar, but the opposite of the take breaks when you start to feel angry etc... To reset yourself.

Sometimes I am really amped to go play. I worked all day, and got off, I rush to my car, go to my friends, and I get there, and everything suddenly is bad. I play for like 10 matches, and I just can't get in the groove of things, tech skill is off, spacing is off, everything I do, it feels like I get punished for, even when they are in no position to punish etc... Essentially it is just a bad day for smash.

Any tips on counteracting this? When you have hella **** to do all week, and only get to go get a good practice session in 2 or 3 times as week, it is really frustrating when your skills or whatever, don't wanna show up that day.

joeplicate

Smash Master
whenever that happens to me, it's because my ideas of where i should be don't really meet up with me getting ***** on screen lol

i used to get SO excited i'd start thinking "this is my chance to prove myself, i'm feeling great, let's do it." and when it doesn't go that way, you're almost like in shock, and things start to just go sour.

if you have a rotation, try just closing your eyes, breathing, and chilling out once you have to wait your turn. this always helps me a lot. just be grateful to play, no matter what the circumstances are (and especially if you only get a few chances a week!). practicing/playing with friends should be enjoyable in and of itself. don't worry about not living up to your expectations.

i think this has a lot to do with playing with an ego
just try to remain as chill and focused as you can, don't forget to enjoy yourself :p

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
whenever that happens to me, it's because my ideas of where i should be don't really meet up with me getting ***** on screen lol

i used to get SO excited i'd start thinking "this is my chance to prove myself, i'm feeling great, let's do it." and when it doesn't go that way, you're almost like in shock, and things start to just go sour.

if you have a rotation, try just closing your eyes, breathing, and chilling out once you have to wait your turn. this always helps me a lot. just be grateful to play, no matter what the circumstances are (and especially if you only get a few chances a week!). practicing/playing with friends should be enjoyable in and of itself. don't worry about not living up to your expectations.

i think this has a lot to do with playing with an ego
just try to remain as chill and focused as you can, don't forget to enjoy yourself :p
I definitely have that ego problem. Not in the sense of like "oh man I am sooooo good". I know I am not. It is more of an expectation I have for myself. I didn't have this problem when I came back after a 6 year hiatus, but as I have caught up to the current Meta, it suddenly has become an issue. Any tips on combating this as well?

:phone:

AKARed

Smash Apprentice
I usually just try to be happy every time i get a hit in and any time i get a lead even if i end up losing a match.

Shinymonkey8

Smash Cadet
This is where I get stuck... No one I know gives me any competition, and the only way I can get a challenge is either going online (which I've been trying to do more) or go to a tourny (which doesn't happen often where I am).

Miharu

Smash Hero
nice post, most of the stuff here is applicable to improvement to most games (and most things in general)

This is where I get stuck... No one I know gives me any competition, and the only way I can get a challenge is either going online (which I've been trying to do more) or go to a tourny (which doesn't happen often where I am).
just ask to play the people better than you on a regular basis

or travel more

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
yesterday i wrote a big amendment to this

but i have a filter on my firefox browser that shuts me off from access of sites, including this one, after 30 minutes

since it took me 30 minutes to write

i lost it right as i was done

pretty frustrating

i'll write it up soon, but it's gonna be large. digestion will not be instantaneous.

tl;dr version:

never compete in the strict definition of the word. play to learn. the only person u are competing w/ is y ourself, and the only way you do that is by learning to play to learn.

also, if you're not preternaturally gifted with the right mindset (or don't quickly learn the mindset needed) you need to go above and beyond. do you really want to be the best? it's much more than just playing the game. it's living it in as many aspects of your life as it takes.

Kira-

Smash Champion
hey i liked this thread but i had an important question

adam are there any recent brood war matches that are really good to watch? i just wanna watch some for fun

top tier matches only, if i may

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
good question. to be completely honest this last season of brood war has been pretty weak.

soulkey v bogus was the best match of '11-12 proleague imo. absolutely spectacular. takes a while to get going, but once it does it's non-stop action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtAHF7gxOj4

english commentary

other than that the entire KT v SKT1 final was awesome.

this is the last set, hype beyond all hype:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DFqbiNXOPg

but if you don't wanna get spoiled, don't go there. instead go here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46zfWaKBW4Y&feature=relmfu

there's a playlist of the games. don't look to your right (the related vids)

brief back story:

KT has won 2 consecutive proleague titles. SKT1 has lost to them both times. SKT1 got 1st place in the season standings (which grants you an automatic bye into the finals), which is par for the course for them. Best, Bisu and Fantasy are all in form. Flash has been his usual unstoppable self. The two best teams with the two largest fanbases with the largest rivalry. every single game is interesting. The best game is saved for last.

Kira-

Smash Champion
awesome, thanks so much

wish i knew more about this game but eh, can only dedicate so much time

edit: omg that ace match was craziness

Brian

Smash Journeyman
"Well supose" - Pemulis can just make out Lyle - "Suppose I were to give you a key ring with ten keys. With, no, with a hundred keys, and I were to tell you that one of these keys will unlock it, this door we're imagining opening in onto all you want to be as a player. How many of the keys would you be willing to try?"
"Well I'd try every darn one," Rader tells Lyle.
"Then you are willing to make mistakes, you see. You are saying you will accept 99% error. The paralyzed perfectionist you say you are would stand there before that door. Jingling the keys. Afraid to try the first key."

Brian

Smash Journeyman
hey dave :)
it's from infinite jest by david foster wallace
im like 200 pages in (of 1000+) and came across that part and thought it was worth sharing
part of the novel takes place in a tennis academy for top ranked junior players, and it has some good passages about improvement that make me think of playing smash. this seemed like a good topic to throw it in.

i highly recommend it, even only part way into it, if you have the time and determination to throw at this book. DFW was a genius.
i dont know if theres a reading topic on here or if people still post here at all so i'll drop this essay by him in here too:
http://harpers.org/media/pdf/dfw/HarpersMagazine-1996-01-0007859.pdf
it's about being on a luxury cruise liner
"Shipping Out: On the (nearly lethal) comforts of a luxury cruise"
[it's also called "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again" in a collection of essays he released by the same name]

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
first of all the word 'genius' is probably the most overused, wholly inaccurate word in the english language

that's actually been the no. 1 reason i've avoided wallace's work. he died and a bunch of sympathy comes out. read some essays, listened to a speech or two. he's whatever.

i'll probably never read infinite jest if only because of how utterly pretentious it is

the classics **** on contemporary work anyway. if it's post 1960 it's done

chances are you just don't read very much cuz that passage doesn't even sniff the Mendoza Line of, say, Ayn Rand's worst stuff

i'm all about challenging myself, though, so there's a non-zero chance i walk to the pomona library and check this book out right now. i need a new book to get into and don't feel like getting into dostoyevsky at this time

Brian

Smash Journeyman
you can replace genius with hyperbrilliant or some other descriptor if you want. its not even his work that makes me say it, its what he was capable of and how generally intelligent he was. genius in terms of a body of work is a different beast.

i read some, i'm not going to act like i'm particularly well read. i have tendencies towards stuff thats more "populist", and despite dfw's slightly heightened diction and self conscious structuring he's ultimately a very accessible writer. the section isnt particularly amazing, but it's also out of context and just a tiny piece of a giant tome. i just posted it because this topic made me think of it. in context its just a tiny piece of a conversation overheard and hardly a focus.

there was plenty of support for DFW before he hanged himself. every artist that dies is met with new appreciation or an influx of new fans, but dont revise history to fit your narrative. has he been elevated to sainthood prematurely or even unfairly? sure. but i think the merit of his body of work stands on its own. its observant, intelligent, entertaining and timely, even after his death.

i can appreciate someone willing to read only classics, but i think that as a member of society in 2012 shutting yourself off from recent works is putting on blinders. they may be less worthy than the classics, but it's important to have a well rounded view and i think stuff written in the modern era gives a necessary perspective. society has changed a lot in the last 50 years. aristotle is still worth reading, but ignoring works that can touch on the issues facing modern society seems foolhardy.

calling something pretentious without reading it is about as pretentious as you can get. i hope that this isnt too recursive of logic.

if you don't like his stuff, you don't like it. that's fine. i think infinite jest stands out against everything else i've read, for better or worse, as a wholly original piece of narrative. and i think it's poignant, insightful and funny enough to be worth anyone's time.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
but it's important to have a well rounded view and i think stuff written in the modern era gives a necessary perspective.
like what?

but ignoring works that can touch on the issues facing modern society seems foolhardy.
i read quite a bit of non-fiction, all of which explore with great breadth and depth on issues facing modern society. i don't see anywhere near that kind of depth in the contemporary fiction category, but i'd love to be exposed to some.

i think the only modern fiction i've enjoyed is science fiction.

calling something pretentious without reading it is about as pretentious as you can get.
yup, but that doesnt make it inaccurate ;)

if you don't like his stuff, you don't like it. that's fine. i think infinite jest stands out against everything else i've read, for better or worse, as a wholly original piece of narrative. and i think it's poignant, insightful and funny enough to be worth anyone's time.
people suck at explaining why they like something, or why other people "should" or "will" like it. funny enough i probably AM going to check this book out today so consider your job done satisfactorily

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Okay, let me update this:

- It is impossible for me to opine on how to be the best without summoning metaphysical laws as evidence. If you do not work within these laws, knowingly or unknowingly, you won't accomplish anything of note.

- I was 100% wrong about not playing a lot. It may not be the most important rule but after a certain point the only way to get consistent, incremental returns on your investment is to play. As much as possible. Play with yourself, play in your mind, play the computer, play the stages, play the techniques, play opponents, play superiors, play inferiors, play peers.

Rule No. 1: Love, Faith & Belief.

If you don't know if you Love the game, you will soon find out. Once you find out if you Love the game, though, don't question it. There really is no explaining; you know it when you feel, or even witness, that magic.

You must believe you are capable and deserving of being the best. There is simply no way around that.

Most people fear success. Why? Success is change. Our brain fears change.

Feel the fear and do it anyway. Every wall you come up against is grounded in fear. Laziness is fear.

Rule No. 2: Absorb everything. Attach to nothing.

Everything is context-sensitive. This is why you cannot attach to anything. Significance changes depending on stages of development. Great advice for a newb may be awful advice for a veteran.

It okay to be overwhelmed, to inundate yourself with information. But always remember the end goal: compartmentalization. Turn the conscious into unconscious. Process, not results. Master the process and the results appear naturally.

Everyone's path is unique. You have to have faith and belief. The unconscious is much (dare I say infinitely?) more efficient than the conscious. This is a process that differs greatly person-to-person; everyone assimilates knowledge differently.

Rule No. 3: Stick with one or two characters. Invest in a great controller.

Your character and controller must be an extension of your Mind. "I think it, you do it."

The game is too complicated to fart around and spread your attention. You don't need to say, "Okay, I'm going to play this character for the rest of my life." But pick a significant amount of time -- a month-plus, or multiple tournaments if your area is particularly inactive -- and stick with it. If you're having a blast exploring the ins and outs of your character, well there you go.

If you know your character main and you still can't play someone equal or better than you for a couple of hours without switching, maybe you're just not challenging yourself enough with the character you selected. Learning is an active process. The second you become passive is the second you stop improving.

As for controllers, Nintendo is not manufacturing them anymore. Over time this will take on greater importance. There is already a mini-crisis. Top players break their controller all the time. In every thread for a National you can witness M2K campaign for a controller.

You can get a Tri-Wing and collect the good spare parts from broken controllers to create a super controller. Faith in your controller is oft-overlooked but from experience I can say it's where all your confidence resides. Give me control over my opponent's controller and I shall never lose.

Rule No. 4: No johns.

Take a deep breath and ponder at the times you live in. Any question you have can be explored within microseconds. You can communicate with people all over the world and pick their brains. We have been compiliing information and techniques on sports for thousands of years; it's a science, bro. There are no excuses. Again, this all goes back to Rule No. 1. You create your own reality. Play the victim? Become the victim. Play the hero? Become the hero.

I cannot count how many times I have wanted to quit this game. If it was out of my control I wouldn't be here. Fortunately it is entirely in my control. I have free will and free won't. To give up, either explicitly or implicitly, is to play the victim. You don't have great players around your area? You have to drive three hours for a smashfest? You don't feel like your return on investment is enough? There are all kinds of techniques with much higher return on investment than simply practicing all day and playing great players. But they require much more gumption; they are not Smash improvement techniques but life, and soul, improvement.

A few obvious ones: Diet. Exercise. Sleep. The Big 3. This improves your game both implicitly and explicitly. Implicitly because it improves your long-term and short-term ability to compartmentalize, to consolidate your memories and experiences. Explicitly because you are alert and focused.

Not so obvious: mindfulness. Mindfulness is not just meditation, although meditation is encompassed. Here is an article for sport-specific mindfulness, for example. Check out that whole blog. I mentioned earlier you should play in your mind. Why? Because your brain works visually. There is little to no difference between what you imagine in your mind and what you do physically. The brain displays identical brain activity.

This means you can imagine desired outcomes and train your brain and body as if you alreayd possessed them.

I find neuroscience particularly applicable to Melee because this game is mostly played in your head. Go read some Bruce Lee, some Asian philosophy, the Art of War by Sun Tzu. Don't forget that Melee is a fighting game, is war. Humans have been participating in such activities since the dawn of time; absurdly effective techniques and mindsets have been honed to deal with it. If you don't "naturally" possess these things then you can learn to. If you choose not to that is your choice.

One of the most interesting things I've stumbled across recently has to do with choking. There is a host of new and exciting research related to neuroscience and how to perform under pressure, like this and this. (Sian Beilock has a blog on Psychology Today that has much of the information in the book.) Again, you have to believe to achieve. Have faith and you will find it. Look for it and it will be presented to you.

Like this thread/post. If you were looking for this, conscious and/or subconsciously, you found it.

Hey Adam, have you read/what do you think of Nietzche's article "Morality as Anti-Nature"?
Googling that I was led to this:

Let us consider finally what naïvety it is to say 'man ought to be thus and thus!' Reality shows us an enchanting wealth of types, the luxuriance of a prodigal play and change of forms: and does some pitiful journeyman moralist say at the sight of it: 'No! man ought to be different'? ... He even knows how man ought to be, this bigoted wretch; he paints himself on the wall and says 'ecco homo'! (Behold the man!)... But even when the moralist merely turns to the individual and says to him: 'You ought to be thus and thus' he does not cease to make himself ridiculous. The individual is, in his future and in his past, a piece of fate, one law more, one necessity more for everything that is and everything that will be. To say to him 'change yourself' means to demand that everything should change, even the past. ... And there have indeed been consistent moralists who wanted him in their own likeness, namely that of a bigot: to that end they denied the world! No mean madness! No modest presumption! ... In so far as morality condemns as morality and not with regard to the aims and objects of life, it is a specific error with which one should show no sympathy, an idiosyncrasy of the degenerate which has caused an unspeakable amount of harm! ... We others, we immoralists, have on the contrary opened wide our hearts to every kind of understanding, comprehension, approval. We do not readily deny, we seek our honour in affirming. We have come more and more to appreciate that economy which needs and knows how to use all that which the holy lunacy of the priest, the diseased reason of the priest rejects; that economy in the law of life which derives advantage even from the repellent species of the bigot, the priest, the virtuous man - what advantage? - But we ourselves, we immoralists, are the answer to that...
Ludwig Wittgenstein's thoughts on language come to mind; quoting Wikipedia:

An aim of the Tractatus is to reveal the relationship between language and the world: what can be said about it, and what can only be shown. Wittgenstein argues that language has an underlying logical structure, a structure that provides the limits of what can be said meaningfully, and therefore the limits of what can be thought. The limits of language, for Wittgenstein, are the limits of philosophy. Much of philosophy involves attempts to say the unsayable: "what can we say at all can be said clearly", he argues. Anything beyond that—religion, ethics, aesthetics, the mystical—cannot be discussed. They are not in themselves nonsensical, but any statement about them must be
I find Nietzsche's prose to be bombastic and superfluous. Why compose such a circuitous paragraph for a relatively simple point? Ego? He loses me then and there. Frankly I've never thought much of Nietzsche. That's to say nothing about the validity of his philosophy, thoughts, writings; it's simply to say that I don't care or not care, that it's not for me, in this lifetime, that I feel no connection of truth when I read it so I move on to what does reverberate within me soul.

Kira-

Smash Champion
usually the best coaches are those who weren't innately talented but worked their *** off to try to get better

not the superstar boy genius who ended his career early and tried to stay in the sport

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
I think the very essence of a good teacher is being able to explain complex things in an understandable manner. Adam digested much of his thoughts into a manner that we can all relate to and understand, hence why he could make an awesome coach. You can have an outstanding player that is terrible at teaching because he/she cannot explain his thought process and reasoning. As a result, much gets lost in translation.

It's not to say that great players make bad coaches (Lovage, PP, Lucien come to mind) though. Although on the flip side, not being necessarily near the top also puts limitations on how well we can teach other people. It's a combination of both and since no one is at the pinnacle of smash coaching (high skill level and comprehension, great communication, willingness to teach), Adam is on the upper spectrum of available and willing coaches in the community.

Kira-

Smash Champion
intelligent post

anyway this was a good read

I personally need to get down to business a bit more

aka get dem 10,000 hours in

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
why should we take advice on how to be the best from someone who isn't even close to being the best?

I think this is a question that needs to be answered.
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.” - Buddha

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
Building a compendium of tactics and strategies you can call on at any given time is absolutely important as well. I think a lot of players forget that smash metagame is completely cyclical. So in essence, I wouldn't say just watch the best mango vids from 08-10, watch the giants of melee from when it started taking off the most, aka 04-06.

I would much rather have 4-5 techniques I can call upon at any given time for any given situation, than the newest 2-3 techniques. This game is all about reading patterns and consistent technique. If you can amass enough techniques that your opponent won't know which one you'll use next, your patterns will be much harder to read.

Adam is spot on with almost all his points, except going back on playing for uber amounts of time.

Maximum 3 hours in one day with regular break intervals on the hour. I'm a musician and I guarantee you playing for 6 hours a day with multiple breaks is less PRODUCTIVE than playing 3. I had to learn the hard way once I realized how ****ing sloppy my guitar playing was when I was just hammering out the same bull**** for hours on end. My learning capability and my consistent skill level drastically increased once I decided to focus on each element of my playing vs just playing. Long hours are really, really hard to maintain that kind of foucs and proper mindset.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Interesting. I find that after three hours I feel a significant loss of motivation and definitely want to take a break, even if that break is expressed through different stages or characters.

Breaks are too good.

Top Bottom