How to be a King: K.Rool - Matchups, Analysis, and Training

3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
NNID
NapoleonPlays
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So you want to be a master of the King Kroc?
Do you have the skills to be number one?

Well, Im sure I will not. But this is the first game I plan to play competitively.
We won't know for sure until more of us get to play, but with more footage released, I think we will start to see some fun things happen.
I know some of you are professionals at the art of dissecting. We know how the training mode will work in this game; how can we apply that to K. Rool?

3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I think it's very early to make massive insights. This said, these are my thoughts based on the moves we know he has:

Neutral B - Cannonball / Vacuum - I'm not sure how useful the cannonball is going to be. The vacuum is interesting and a lot is going to depend on how it functions. If it allows you to use a command grab for some fixed time after firing the cannonball, that's going to be an interesting tool.

Optimal result - cannonball has decent range. We can fire it and then chase after, threatening with a command grab if they shield it.

Side B - Crown Toss - as this acts like a boomerang, it's best use is likely going to be to limit movement options and force shields on the return.

Up B - Helipack - its very unclear how this currently works. I'm hopeful we can attack out of it in some way (either as a hitbox on the move itself, or like ROB) as the speed looks useful for chasing.

Down B - Counter - Largely likely to be useful for edgeguards in the same way Marth and Lucina mains do it. Not really a neutral tool and potentially quite telegraphed.

As a more general note, as we have two projectiles it's not unreasonable to hope we can B Reverse them. If the change in momentum is noticeable this may give K Rool somewhat better landing options than most heavies.

Those are the special moves. Beyond a couple of niche things (Up Throw probably being usable as a suicide throw for example) there's not a huge amount else to talk about. The burying tilt could be very useful as a kill confirm I guess.

The thing to watch out for in my opinion is how good his projectiles are at forcing shields and what reward he gets off of a grab.

3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
NNID
NapoleonPlays
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think it's very early to make massive insights.
We will need the game before we can be sure...
I think that we saw an emphasis on the villain theme with K Rool, for sure. I actually think that means it is the last bad guy we will get (the lead in on DK's TV felt like a finale to me, anywho).

I CANNOT wait to try out the king on the Training map. Learn all those odd trajectories and the scale of his belly during a counter.

3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
We will need the game before we can be sure...
I think that we saw an emphasis on the villain theme with K Rool, for sure. I actually think that means it is the last bad guy we will get (the lead in on DK's TV felt like a finale to me, anywho).

I CANNOT wait to try out the king on the Training map. Learn all those odd trajectories and the scale of his belly during a counter.
Sure, I'm just talking in terms of theorycrafting his moveset that we have very little to go on. There are some general ideas you can pull out but not much more.

3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
NNID
NapoleonPlays
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sure, I'm just talking in terms of theorycrafting his moveset that we have very little to go on. There are some general ideas you can pull out but not much more.
I am not the guy who can look at a character and understand everything about them. The concept of the game turns my brain onto it more than everything else.

3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
NNID
NapoleonPlays
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
When did we get our first Ridley update after the announcement of him?
...did we yet?

Right. Immediately after. During the treehouse where they played as him, not to mention the tournament.
Eek. Well soon. He is currently the most mysterious Smash player. That's a fun temporary title.