• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How the hell do I deal with ptooie?

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Legit the stupidest move in the game, it hits you even if you hit plant out of it which should NOT exist, at all. It's way too big does too much damage and lingers for way too long, how do I deal with this stupid move?

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
On stage just grab and instantly throw to use the throw invincibility to avoid the attack. Plant’s pretty heavy so your combo throw should pretty much always work. If your character has a reflector and you read the plant using ptooie, if you reflect it as it’s going up it’ll pretty much always hit plant and plant can’t do anything about it.

Offstage it can really destroy linear or slow recoveries and use the trading drop as a sort counter. If your character can midair stall, try to do so-but if you can’t, get hit but make sure you save your jumps so you can make it back.

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
If you are on stage, just focus on closing the distance between you and plant before they launch the spike ball. Imagine the arc of the move... there's a pretty huge blind spot right next to plant, right? It can only launch it so close to itself. Your goal should be to enter that blindspot and stop. Then choose a punish that won't get you hit. You may have to go into the training room to find out what moves you can and cannot use for this. USAnyan's suggestion to abuse the invincibility of your throw is the simplest and most universal punish.
I emphasize the idea of stopping inside the blind spot because if your only goal is to punish the move as soon as you see it, you will be very tempted by reflex to rush in and use a simple dash attack. For a lot of characters, this results in the spike ball hitting you. By stopping and then using another move, you not only remain safe, but you move a step closer towards playing with your head instead of your hands.

Top Bottom