• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How the **** do you beat a marth that only forward smashes?

Hyperion965

Smash Cadet
I play friendlies with a friend of mine that only plays marth. The thing is is that he knows zero mechanics and only walks up and spams the ******** f smash and d smash. No legit play. He just stands and f smashes and edge guards with f smash. Any way to just **** his gayass play style so that he learns some other marth tech? I play ganon and fox and know the proper tech and mechanics with said characters. He just spams it so much and catches me off guard and then just spams it even more. Any tips on dealing with that type of play?

Avalancer

Smash Journeyman
Stay barely outside his f-smash range and strike fast after he throws out one. If he keeps throwing them out it shouldn't be too tricky, with fox you can easily dashdance back and forth to make him whiff one

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Psst, dash dancing will ruin his day. So will wave-dashing backwards as you run towards him. Move unpredictably.

Make it look like you're going to approach, then quickly back away. Chances are, he'll forward smash into nothing, and then that's when the counterattack begins and we take advantage of the end lag.

un.dead

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Project M code ⬆
3DS FC
0650-2459-4046
Psst, dash dancing will ruin his day. So will wave-dashing backwards as you run towards him. Move unpredictably.

Make it look like you're going to approach, then quickly back away. Chances are, he'll forward smash into nothing, and then that's when the counterattack begins and we take advantage of the end lag.
This. And make sure to taunt twice each stock. You'll have an easier time once you've pissed him off. :)

Last edited:

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
Even at high level wavedash back fsmash or just plain fsmashing randomly is good.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
No legit play.
That isn't the right mindset to have. Instead of Johning/insulting his play, you should be thinking about why what he was doing was working and then implementing an appropriate response. I mean, your play can't be that "legit" either if you're consistently losing to him.

He just spams it so much and catches me off guard and then just spams it even more.
If you know he's only going to spam forward smash, why does it still catch you off guard? Just think for yourself about why you're losing to it and make sure you're not mindlessly running into him and you'll be fine.

I replied to a somewhat similar question here: http://smashboards.com/threads/trouble-playing-against-shiek-as-anybody.395932/

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
uthrow uair bruh

if it's fox just shield stop before you get to him and bait out an fsmash before you go ham. Dashdancing works too. Also, don't let him tipper you from below a platform.

also learn the marth killer (lightshield at edge when he recovers. Since the upb will most likely hit you if he's close to the wall/edge) you will be pushed onto the edge or off the stage. You can shine spike or just grab edge)

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I play friendlies with a friend of mine that only plays marth. The thing is is that he knows zero mechanics and only walks up and spams the ******** f smash and d smash. No legit play. He just stands and f smashes and edge guards with f smash. Any way to just **** his gayass play style so that he learns some other marth tech? I play ganon and fox and know the proper tech and mechanics with said characters. He just spams it so much and catches me off guard and then just spams it even more. Any tips on dealing with that type of play?
1. stop using gay like that
2. you know it is coming
3. bait it out (if you're getting hit by it your play is also illegitimate, you're not better than him just because you can push more buttons)
4. or space around it

just don't forget that Marth can f smash you and remember that as you engage him lol, shield it, jump over it, do anything really. Start thinking about why it's hitting you because that is a terrible strat (and probably don't approach mindlessly/think you can approach your opponent for free at anytime)

goateeguy

Smash Ace
If it works, it's better than what you're doing, so don't be quick to discredit it. Players like this generally have fantastic fundamentals which allow them to perform well even if they don't have the execution to perform higher-level movement techniques or the game knowledge to play a matchup "optimally".

Run up and shield, wavedash out of shield if you get pushed too far back by the fsmash to shieldgrab. Bait the fsmash and develop good enough execution to punish the whiff. DO NOT give up stage position. If you just run away he's going to walk forward and corner you. You have to threaten in some way so you can keep your space.

Learn to both sweetspot your up-b and up-b further back from the ledge and air-steer the rest of the way to the ledge to beat fsmash edgeguards.

Drunkinsnail

Smash Rookie
Trying my best to train up a Marth, so I figured while I was browsing this bored, I'd comment in an area of I've got some xp in. heh

I lose to random F-smashing way more often than I should, but I've started to learn a thing or two. A lot of the issues I see with people actually getting hit by this just comes from people just trying to do too much. Wavedashing in, throwing out moves, dashdancing at iffy spots... It all just kind of of puts you in a position to get randomed out.

One of the biggest issues I have personally is getting caught while jumping out of shield. A lot of the super low level Marth's don't feel confident enough in the potential of grabs and so they just toss out an Fsmash while you're in shield cuz they don't know what to do and they know that thing hits hard. Throws me off a ton, cuz a raw smash on shield isn't something you come to expect once you get to a certain level of play.

Best thing I've come to learn aside from the obvious baits and punish is to just stay grounded. Just toss out some solid d-tilt pressure and make sure that if you're in range of that F-smash that you're both prepared to tech and aware that he might throw it out if their are any gaps in your offense.

sabbathareking

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2595-2926-7496
fsmash is so punishable in so many situations, you can't be that legit if you're getting done in about losing to someone who you describe as a "gay marth"

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I can tell you that beating a gay Marth who fsmashes is the same as beating a straight Marth who fsmashes, so just go from there.

EDIT:
Thankfully the name of the thread got changed, so this comment will make less sense even though the context is still in the OP.

Last edited:

Wafflesaurus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wafflesaurus
If he's mindlessly forward smashing you simple run into him with your shield. As long as he doesn't hit you with the tip, you will be able to grab him or wavedash OoS into a grab.
Or you could, you know, dash dance, which fundamentally beats mindlessly throwing out attacks. If you can't dash dance to bait an opponent who mindlessly f smashes you, you probably need to work in your dash dance. Everyone can get hit once in a while by a random f smash but beating shut down by it means you are not properly spacing around your opponent. Learn his range and watch his movement.

MistFist

Smash Cadet
learn his range, bait out moves, and stay in the middle of the map DDing (Dash Dancing). #1 thing is that you gotta bait stuff... you cant run in and expecting not to get hit just because you play fox. practice and repetition makes perfect :) hope i helped

Ben Zed

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
BENZ#0
Work on Movement. Movement is the most important thing to learn with Marth. I've only just recently been really starting to understand how to use movement.

For reference, I guess I sort of managed to do this yesterday. All I can really say is practice and you'll learn how to space like this, because I didn't even realize I was doing this until I watched it. http://gfycat.com/ReflectingTautGoldenretriever

Last edited:
Top Bottom