• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How slow do you think Byleth will be?

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Strictly in terms of mobility, namely dashing and air speed. I don't mind slow air speed, but I hope it gets made up for by some kind of acceleration, like quick initial dashing speed, or something like that. It was quite a turn-off when the first thing we heard was that they may or may not be as slow as Robin.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well we already saw his dashing speed and airspeed in the copious amounts of gameplay we got.
It's... not very good.

Ground mobility is around Ike tier which is slightly better than Robin, and air speed seems somewhat similar's to Ike as well if not marginally better.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
I suppose Initial Dash is my last hope. :D Some characters, such as Zelda and Corrin make pretty significant jumps (Zelda 1.2something > 1.95something) and Corrin jumps from like 1.4 > 2+

Arrei

Smash Lord
Well we already saw his dashing speed and airspeed in the copious amounts of gameplay we got.
It's... not very good.

Ground mobility is around Ike tier which is slightly better than Robin, and air speed seems somewhat similar's to Ike as well if not marginally better.
I have a bad feeling Ike speed is gonna be too generous for Byleth, when you look at how Ike's air speed actually lands him on the bottom of top third of the cast. I just hope they won't end up Ganondorf-speed.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Tbh Byleth's speed may not be too big of an issue. Getting within striking range won't be too hard when your moves cover the whole stage lol. Re positioning is an issue though, and lack of small stages could be an issue for him as well.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Tbh Byleth's speed may not be too big of an issue. Getting within striking range won't be too hard when your moves cover the whole stage lol. Re positioning is an issue though, and lack of small stages could be an issue for him as well.
Really wishing they brought back Castle Siege, now. :D

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With Byleth's suggested playstle, you won't really need speed for much. I imagine Byleth will thrive mostly on reads and punishments instead of rushing down. Seems like a character you gonna need patience for.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
But it is ingame. What do you meant by not bringing it back?
He meant bring it back in competitive play. It used to be legal but it's currently banned. It would be very helpful to byleth since it's a small stage so speed becomes less of a factor and disjointed range becomes easier to take advantage of.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
He meant bring it back in competitive play. It used to be legal but it's currently banned. It would be very helpful to byleth since it's a small stage so speed becomes less of a factor and disjointed range becomes easier to take advantage of.
Honestly, I'd take being competitively unviable than having to be viable on a stage I hate.

If they at least removed the foreground wall on the right side, I'd at least tolerate it, but as is... yeesh I hate that stage.

Last edited:

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I'd take being competitively unviable than having to be viable on a stage I hate.

If they at least removed the foreground wall on the right side, I'd at least tolerate it, but as is... yeesh I hate that stage.
I never really had an issue with that wall, I always treated it the same way as off camera interactions. For me it was never really hard to predict spacing since going low enough for the wall to be a factor means that your opponent only has so many options that they can do without an SD. Based on distance and character drift time I was pretty consistent at calling whether it was a good idea to swing or to recover predicting a miss.

But to each his own I suppose. Byleth aside I'd like a smaller stage just to force more interaction in some matchups.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
jesus Byleth would cover like 3/4th of the stage. I actually like the stage a decent bit, so I just brought it back into my home custom "ruleset".

Top Bottom