• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Should I Punish With Toon Link

BlurZone

Smash Cadet
Hey all! I'm pretty new to playing smash online against actual people and as of lately I've been posting on the arena thread trying to brawl people and as I play more the better I am getting at using Toon Link, but I was wondering what would be the best way to punish someone who say misses a grab or trips or tries to combo and I shield and they're left open for an attack, I'm pretty much looking for the best way possible to inflict the most damage when my opponent messes up, any advice at all is greatly appreciated!

The smash attack that does the most damage is Down Smash, just as long as both hits land, so if you're short on time, use that. However, if you have enough time (lets say somebody's shield breaks), then there's probably some overly complicated projectile setup that you can use to maximize on damage. This is a good question because not even I know the best projectile setup to use to rack up on damage. I would think it would be somewhere along the lines of throwing a bomb UP, pulling out another one, jumping above your opponent and throwing the bomb DOWN at him, then landing the Dair + Pogo, and during all that chaos, the bomb you threw up will land on the opponent. Again, overly complicated, but it might work. You should actually go and find out for us what works and what doesn't. :p

Also, check the Tournament Listings. You're from New Jersey, you should be easily able to find an offline tournament near you.
http://smashboards.com/forums/tournament-listings.51/

BlurZone

Smash Cadet
The smash attack that does the most damage is Down Smash, just as long as both hits land, so if you're short on time, use that. However, if you have enough time (lets say somebody's shield breaks), then there's probably some overly complicated projectile setup that you can use to maximize on damage. This is a good question because not even I know the best projectile setup to use to rack up on damage. I would think it would be somewhere along the lines of throwing a bomb UP, pulling out another one, jumping above your opponent and throwing the bomb DOWN at him, then landing the Dair + Pogo, and during all that chaos, the bomb you threw up will land on the opponent. Again, overly complicated, but it might work. You should actually go and find out for us what works and what doesn't. :p

Also, check the Tournament Listings. You're from New Jersey, you should be easily able to find an offline tournament near you.
http://smashboards.com/forums/tournament-listings.51/
Thanks so much for this, I truly appreciate all of this, and I will definitely try to get as much information on the topic and make a thread for it all :) and I would love to play in some tournaments but as of now I would probably just get wrecked lol. I'm sure it would be good experience but maybe I'll just spectate and gradually work into actually playing in them.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
going to a tournament and actually playing people and entering is really the only surefire way to improve. definitely do that if you can. and in most situations smash attacks will be too slow to punish people who simply hit your shield. then you should use an aerial out of shield in most cases depending on what attack you blocked or avoided. if it's something like lucario fsmash , then you might not have enough time to punish that immediately oos. but if it's something laggier like link DACUS or diddy down air, then sure, you can punish with any move of your choice, perhaps grab or nair.

if it's something that has really good frame data and is hard to punish, like zss jab, then you might have to make another read and then press the advantage on what your opponent does next

Frame advantage is something that Toon Link will always struggle with. His attacks come out very slow in comparison to the rest of the cast. His fastest attacks are Frame 6, which is slow when you have characters that have Frame 1 or Frame 2 jabs, or even Frame 3 smash attacks. It's crazy.

D

Deleted member

I find myself missing many punishes as well, mostly because im usualy unprepared for the situation and I'm already puling a bomb or something of the sort instead of getting an usmash or fair. dunno how to fix. We need the king of all toons and the hero of time's wisdom...

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Punishing has limits.

Are they in a long period of lag? Go for the iBomb Gimp.

Are they in a short period? Use the time to reset your projectiles if needed.

Bomb followups are nice too.

Then if you are too close just back up and keep running the clock.

Top Bottom