• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How should I hold my controller/which buttons should I use

FireTails

Smash Cadet
I have a question...I usually bend my thumb when using the a b x y buttons and when I'm using the stick. I see some players make their thumbs straight and they curve it when using double fairs with marth. This should be easy for frame perfect aerials. Can someone please tell me if you bend or you make your thumb straight and curve it for aerials when using A. Also, please tell me if L or R is better for wavedashing/l canceling. When I'm in dolphin one of the triggers have less push down then the other when the controller is idle

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
Most arguments to hold a controller a certain way just boil down to preference.
Some people prefer using a claw grip (where they use their index finger and their thumb for the c stick and a b y x and their middle finger for r z. The benefits to this are that retreating aerials and multishining are notably easier. The downside to this method is that it is by no means a good way to hold the controller and you risk messing up your hands.
There's also holding your controller the "normal" way which means you have to make some adjustments to how you'll press y and the c stick nearly instant after each other. people either use the inner part of the thumb for this or make a temporary switch to claw. The downside is that c stick to the right takes some getting used to.
The last method I know of is to lay the controller in your lap and use the abyx/c stick simular to an arcade stick/keyboard. The downside to this method is that you can't use z/r which means you can only grab with l+a and that you can't use 2 different triggers which means you can't disable your lightshield on one of your triggers to get easier powershields (or if you really like those powershields you cant lightshield)
Most of it is preference though and you just have to experiment on what doesn't hurt your hands and allows you to comfortably do things. People have different hands and because of this there is no 100% best way to hold your controller.

FireTails

Smash Cadet
Most arguments to hold a controller a certain way just boil down to preference.
Some people prefer using a claw grip (where they use their index finger and their thumb for the c stick and a b y x and their middle finger for r z. The benefits to this are that retreating aerials and multishining are notably easier. The downside to this method is that it is by no means a good way to hold the controller and you risk messing up your hands.
There's also holding your controller the "normal" way which means you have to make some adjustments to how you'll press y and the c stick nearly instant after each other. people either use the inner part of the thumb for this or make a temporary switch to claw. The downside is that c stick to the right takes some getting used to.
The last method I know of is to lay the controller in your lap and use the abyx/c stick simular to an arcade stick/keyboard. The downside to this method is that you can't use z/r which means you can only grab with l+a and that you can't use 2 different triggers which means you can't disable your lightshield on one of your triggers to get easier powershields (or if you really like those powershields you cant lightshield)
Most of it is preference though and you just have to experiment on what doesn't hurt your hands and allows you to comfortably do things. People have different hands and because of this there is no 100% best way to hold your controller.
Hmm...this is good but I was thinking of people that bend their thumbs to jump and people that use their inner thumb

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...this is good but I was thinking of people that bend their thumbs to jump and people that use their inner thumb
It is the same deal, just do what feels most comfortable to you. I don't think theres even benefits to doing this one way vs another tbh.

skate

ayy
The downside to this method is that it is by no means a good way to hold the controller and you risk messing up your hands.
Can you elaborate on this? Ive been using claw grip for a year while also regularly stretching my hands. What am I risking by doing this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom