• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Should I Approach? When should I Grab?

Dedemelon

Smash Rookie
Hey all! Still asking questions as I get back into the swing of things. As the title says, what is the best way to approach as the penguin? I know standard attacks beat out grabs, but when should my grab game take priority over tilts?

Thanks a lot! :D

Gattsu

Smash Rookie
NNID
despiarinducing
Running/Walking and powershielding is how I approach, especially against projectile users

Grab should be used to punish most stuff if you're in range, while also mixing it up with d tilt for up close encounters, shield grab is your friend

Red-Villain

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedVillainy
I like throwing a U-Gordo in the neutral, properly spaced, and fox-trotting closely behind it to cover my approach. Either they retreat, challenge you, or challenge the gordo. I also like walk/foxtrott into F-tilt, pivot grab, and Jab 1&2.

Hectic99

Smash Rookie
NNID
momagain99
The best way to approach is to refuse approaching at all. The King's only decent approaching option is a reverse back air, and it can be punished rather easily if anything goes wrong. Your best bet in general is to trap and predict your opponent with gordo or try to keep them away with ftilt (approaching with a U-gordo or D-gordo wall also helps out with a back air approach).

In regard to grabs, you should start to shift to grabbing when you can see your opponent getting more nervous about confronting gordos, or if they start to approach your shield carelessly (though you punish all unsafe approaches like this with every character).

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
I tend to walk/trot to see what the opponent is going to do. My philosophy is Dedede should attack second since he’s so slow; attack first if there’s an openning. Idk about grabbing tho. Haven’t gotten fully used to it, but I usually pivot grab into d-throw combos if the opponent is close.

Ardisan

Smash Rookie
I mostly try to space people out by using f-tilts and constantly float in the air to bait people into getting hit with my b-air. Approaching isn't really your main objective as Dedede since majority of your moves are punishable.

icecooler

Smash Cadet
Hey all! Still asking questions as I get back into the swing of things. As the title says, what is the best way to approach as the penguin? I know standard attacks beat out grabs, but when should my grab game take priority over tilts?

Thanks a lot! :D
I like to jump buffer gordo and i will follow on the ground. Ill see what they do and ill usually power shield and instead of a solid grab I usually start with inhale (better range and can lead into mixups, tech chases all that).
Another option is similar to the first but instead of inhale dash dance in, then out. With the right spacing the gordo will not hit dedede when hit back

Top Bottom