• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Should Ganondorf be Buffed?

demariw

Smash Rookie
Hey, guys. Demariw here. I am new here. Anyways, how should Ganon be buffed?

I personally think they should buff his double jump. That thing goes absolutely nowhere lol

wizfoot

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7677-1915-7484
Make his fair a Knee of Justice.

In all seriousness, I feel like his recovery could be better. I'm all for making his double jump a bit higher.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Either his double jump or his up B should travel further. Maybe even both. I mean, it would still be a weak recovery even with some distance buffs, but it sure would be nice. Ganondorf also needs a lot of hitbox fixes. His smash attacks have some blind spots and dash attack just stops having a hitbox around 3/4 of the way through. Wizard's Foot needs to not lose to everything and armor through stuff instead to give our slow boy a burst option. And Ganondorf not having a kill throw feels really off, especially when K Rool just got back throw and Incineroar got forward throw as kill throws in 8.0

~Shin_Ganondorf~

Smash Journeyman
So, epic lurk status still happening but I wanted to chime in on this randomly.

Nintendo has evolved Ganondorf into a fighter that has massive KO power but with many flaws to make up for it. I personally do not enjoy the way Ganondorf has changed from Melee, an example of a more decent iteration of Ganondorf would be the Project M Ganondorf. So TL;DR could simply be to follow that guidance.

What would I do though?

cracks knuckles

Obviously I want Ganon to play like a powerhouse took speed demon pills. Good ol' Melee hit a nice spot with how it made you feel to link a few skull crushers together.

Speed Ganondorf up
Faster fast fall speed

*Downsmash should be sped up and should alway link together and pop-up enemies for a possible follow up.

*Wizards Foot changed to be Melee's again including the jump reset (This change alone would shake up the tier list for him)

Side B (Gerudo Dragon) guessing a tech throw isnt fun reads and just isn't as fun as crushing skulls - Side B on the ground should pop up for follow up.

Thunder Punch - Speed this up one more notch to get it to wolfs shine speed, make a safe and reliable out of shield option. The aim here is to interrupt combo's with a loud POP and be a pressure tool.

Tilt A (Armor Crusher) should do something interesting and not take up the fast snap of Thunder Punch. Range is what Armor Crusher gave in Melee (and it was not as good as other options) Super Armor on a tilt that is not as fast as thunder punch but has more range than thunder punch sounds fun.
I think here is where I would like to make some fundamental changes. Powering down Ganondorf to give him more speed/combo's/survivability is just an all around good idea. It also sets good example in character combat design that in a competative environment even in a party fighting game it may not be so fun to make a character with such damnable weaknesses and say it is made up for with KO power. Armor Crusher is where I am going to put super armor on Ganondorf. If Armor Crusher's super armor is activated the attack gainst strength and knockback. this change mixes up how ganondorfs 'power' can be achieved thematically and thematic power fits his persona better than a big wrecking ball. leave the wrecking ball feel to DK and Giga Bowser and Calamity Ganon.

Sure would love to test these changes out and see how it feels.

putting more icing on the cake
A kill throw, yes that was mentioned before, yes that would be so so perfect.
I have been dying to have the warlock punch shoot a slow moving (at first) projectile that you can smash back at Ganondorf. Game referency.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I believe his buffs should reflect and amplify his top asset-- raw power at any cost. He would, unfortunately, be stripped of most other things, but this is to make balancing room for an additional mechanic I did fancy for a while now-- dash/run invulnerability to most attacks. This is to reference his 'invincibility' in Zelda games. This peculiarity serves to ensure that the opponent does not become haughty in the thought, "Look! It's Ganondorf, let's pelt him with sharp objects from a distance until he is too weak to protect himself!" This would also enhance his mind games, and force the opponent to attack him during or just after his offense.

Top Bottom