• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how shield grab/not get rekt by jab

Bacon&Eggs

Smash Cadet
Hello friends I desperately need your help!!! Whenever I do any move on anybody's shield from any position I get shield grabbed 100% of the time, always!!!!

However, when people clearly hit my shield directly in front of me and I press that A button I either just do not do anything at all like a dumb **** or the grab comes out but I get hit by some bull **** move before I get the grab!!!

I would be willing to accept that I just need to git gud but even the scrubbiest of noobs ALWAYS seem to get the shield grab every time and never stand there like a dumb **** like I sometimes do!!! I have concluded that there is some stupid trick to this that no one ever taught me, please help!!! (I understand that shield stun is a thing but even when I jam that A button 9999999 times per second it still won't come out on time!!!)

ALSO I really need help dealing with jabs! My playstyle can just get completely rekt by jab grab or jab anything really but this does not seem to happen to anyone else??? Some dudes told me to crouch cancel but how the **** am I supposed to react crouch cancel that fast??? Also a lot of time I get jabbed in the air by ****heads like Luigi and Sheik, how am I supposed to deal with that? (I am playing as Captain Falcon.)

Please help friends, I am freaking stumped on this bull****. Thanks!!!

Tid

Smash Cadet
a big part of 'the trick' is just better spacing honestly. i dont know who you play but you probably have at least a couple of moves that have sizable enough hitboxes to where you can land them on shield without being within grabbing range. either that or cross it up with aerials so that you're landing behind them if you're hitting their shield rather than in front of you. if you're not in appropriate spacing to land hits on the shield while still being far enough away to not get grabbed, then why are you even hitting their shield with an attack instead of a grab?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You are probably hitting their shield too high, and/or missing your l-cancel, or even potentially not using a strong enough aerial, or not spacing well enough. A lot of aerials, when striking low on shield, and l-canceled, will frame trap when followed up with jab. I would say the opponents that are beating your shield grabs are using this to bait you. The answer there is to force them to try other options. Full jump dair, roll, wait in shield for the jab. There's a lot of responses to taking a hit on block, and knowing how your opponent likes to follow up is super important to knowing how to respond. To beat shield grabs, use well-spaced, strong aerials low to the ground, and l-cancel.

As for beating jabs. You can't react to them. You have to read them. If your opponent likes to jab, hold down and just be ready with your response. Alternately, tap away when you expect the jab to come out in order to SDI out.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
As for beating jabs. You can't react to them. You have to read them. If your opponent likes to jab, hold down and just be ready with your response..
Actually in lot of cases you don't need to read the jab, you can just "option select" ASDI down response to jab while attempting to shield grab. For example with Marth you can just hold down + shield and mash A while you're attempting the shield grab. Then if you get jabbed or double jabbed you'll still get cc grab afterwards unless the jab was spaced extremely well. With fox you can release shield, hold down + mash A to get cc dtilt if you get jabbed out of shield grab, in case you fear you're no longer inside grab range after taking the jab.

Diosama

Stand User
You have to understand that a lot of moves are not +1 or higher on shield

That and you're not spacing very well

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Actually in lot of cases you don't need to read the jab, you can just "option select" ASDI down response to jab while attempting to shield grab. For example with Marth you can just hold down + shield and mash A while you're attempting the shield grab. Then if you get jabbed or double jabbed you'll still get cc grab afterwards unless the jab was spaced extremely well. With fox you can release shield, hold down + mash A to get cc dtilt if you get jabbed out of shield grab, in case you fear you're no longer inside grab range after taking the jab.
I would rather say go with something faster than seven frames to beat jab combos. This is a nice low-precision option, though.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
T tauKhan for double jabs especially, and even for single jabs, down and in ASDI will land you the shield grab much more often than down alone. The biggest issue imo is picking up on jab habits. Heavy characters can punish even the toughest of jabs up to 40%ish (Ganon dittos, w/grab, slightly spacing dependent). For light jabs it goes much higher, and it's wise to choose the perfect angle to give you maximum distance while still keeping you grounded.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I would rather say go with something faster than seven frames to beat jab combos. This is a nice low-precision option, though.
You go with grabs because it beats the jabs with asdi option select, and also yields heavy punishes at the same time.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You go with grabs because it beats the jabs with asdi option select, and also yields heavy punishes at the same time.
For Falcon, you're not wrong, but again, many jab combos frametrap CC grab, and explicitly punish crouch canceling, but if you can preempt it with something quick enough to beat the second jab, why not do it occasionally? Smash isn't reductive, there's not really any single option that beats everything.

Not to mention, the OP wants specific option to beat jabs when airborne. The answer to that is prediction and SDI.

You're so concerned with being right that you don't realize I 90% agree with you, I just think you're not being nuanced enough.

Bacon&Eggs

Smash Cadet
Okay friends I wrote this post in a fit of rage one day but I believe I have since conquered the jab problem. I have discovered that the best option against ****heads who just jab all day is to jab them right back, cause if they are gonna do that **** then so will I!!! While Falcon single jab cannot guarantee lead into anything, Falcon is blessed with gentleman which usually will knock em out of your face (unless they are ****head space animals who cc shine, then you lose 4ever [or if they have god reflexes and sdi behind you in which case they kinda deserve it anyway])

Nowadays when I get jabbed while airborne I just spam X button to jump out of it, if I do not have double jump then I am fukt but whatever

All these things require pretty fast reaction time though so if you have frequent off days like myself then it might be kind of hard to deal with!!!!

I am still clueless on shield grab but idgaf anymore I am just gonna try harder to time that A button better!

Thanks for all the tips friends!

Top Bottom