• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How pre-ledgegrab body states affect your ledgedash timing

OverFlow

Smash Rookie
Just wanted to say, you are a god kadano. By the way how does momentum while in firefox work? Is it based on initial momentum before you start it or can you influence how you move by holding the stick?

Kadano

Magical Express
Just wanted to say, you are a god kadano. By the way how does momentum while in firefox work? Is it based on initial momentum before you start it or can you influence how you move by holding the stick?
I’m glad the content I deliver delights you. There is no influence before you commit to a direction. All Δx force is kept, but as far as I can tell, Δy is always overwritten with 0.

Kadano

Magical Express
Here is an input-output diagram of the column 1 and column 2 ledgedashes in the OP:

Column 1 = perfect, column 2 = optimal.
If you try to waveland the perfect execution with a point below the blue area, you will die. So, again, I think going for optimal ledgedashes is much better.

Here is an overlay with the options from the ledge:

As you can see, there is an area where the ledgedrop option and the optimal ledgedash area overlap. It’s slightly below the 225° / 315° notches, so if you want to access it consistently, modifying your octagon might be a good idea.

Why would you want to do so, you ask?
To get easy ledgedashes with lots of gaInt (grounded actionable intangibility) without having to smash your control stick around in such crazy speeds. With these angles / points, you can do both the drop and the waveland.

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
Here is an input-output diagram of the column 1 and column 2 ledgedashes in the OP:

If you try to waveland the perfect execution with a point below the blue area, you will die. So, again, I think going for optimal ledgedashes is much better.

As you can see, there is an area where the ledgedrop option and the optimal ledgedash area overlap. It’s slightly below the 225° / 315° notches, so if you want to access it consistently, modifying your octagon might be a good idea.

To get easy ledgedashes with lots of gaInt (grounded actionable intangibility) without having to smash your control stick around in such crazy speeds. With these angles / points, you can do both the drop and the waveland.
What do you mean modify your octagon? I assume you mean physically reconstructing the face of the controller, but I have never heard of the practice.
Interesting that the two angles overlap... quite convenient, even if it isn't at the notch. I'm learning more every day :) thanks.

Kadano

Magical Express
What do you mean modify your octagon? I assume you mean physically reconstructing the face of the controller, but I have never heard of the practice.
Interesting that the two angles overlap... quite convenient, even if it isn't at the notch. I'm learning more every day :) thanks.
You just take a file (the physical tool) and carve another notch into the respective part of the octagon gate. I recommend not going for the angles next to the (mod45°) angles because analog sticks change over time and it might be interpreted as straight left / right / down / up after some time of use.
Also, if you attempt this, be modest in the amount of plastic you grind off. I once went overzealous and completely rounded out an octagon gate to see how it feels like, and it was really bad. Not worth the proposed merit of slightly longer SDI distances.

Bones0

Smash Legend
You really shouldn't encourage people to mod their controllers... I think I might have discussed this with you before, but there's absolutely no way a mod that increases the capabilities of a controller beyond everyone else's (not to mention the intent of the game's creator) is fair for competition.

Kadano

Magical Express
You really shouldn't encourage people to mod their controllers... I think I might have discussed this with you before, but there's absolutely no way a mod that increases the capabilities of a controller beyond everyone else's (not to mention the intent of the game's creator) is fair for competition.
It‘s up to the TOs to decide whether they allow these modifications or not. I just said that ledgedashes are probably easier to execute with modded controllers and that it might be a good idea to do this. I trust every reader to be capable of judging for themselves or asking directly whether there will be problems at tournaments.

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
After reading this thread I still don't really understand everything. To keep it simple, are you saying that doing a firefox stall before your ledgedash is easier/better than just ledgedashing without doing so?

Super

Smash Apprentice

Can confirm that there's a zone on the stick where you can both drop and ledgedash. It won't give you great distance though compared to a perfect ledgedash.

jazz_1993

Smash Rookie
Should the ECB pretty much look like column 2 (or better) for any side-b, up-b, or double-jump to ledge (no fastfall)? Ideally I would never need to stall after any of these three.

The reason I'm not too eager on FF stalling is that it tends to telegraph a ledgedash. You could FF stall before other getup options to mitigate this, but it's a fairly frame-tight technique I don't want to rely on all the time.

Sprenzy

Smash Apprentice
But even if you to Firefox stall, the time before you can let go of the ledge is still varies
I've been practicing ledge dashes like shine turnaround up b, jump and firefox stalls but most of the time i either ledge dash too late (fox makes the air dodge sound effect) too late ( doesn't make it on the stage) or ledge jump

Top Bottom