• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How often do you still use your first main(s)?

Br0wn1ez

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brassm0nkeyman
My first main was Yoshi in the original games, but then it got switched to fox and i quickly started playing more and more different characters. Now all i play in smash 4 is meta knight and Sheik.

Reyan

Smash Rookie
So I used :pikachu2:in Brawl due to my love and passion for the pokemon games. After completing a ton of things in Brawl, I practically stopped because I didn't really have anyone to play with I did play occasionally. I bought Smash 64 a couple year later on the Wii Virtual Console and played as :yoshi64: while a friend that I had brought over started playing :link64:. We decided to take our matches to Brawl with the same characters. And after that day we continued playing Brawl (The only difference is that we played Online when we weren't able to go to our respective houses which was pretty much most of the time). In Smash 4 I did start out maining:4yoshi: but I dropped him because my friend was destroying me in Smash 4 (This was when he got into competitive and before he got me hooked on it). So I got into competitive and picked up :4pit: along with :4pikachu: and as I got better I decided to pick Yoshi back up so I am maining my first mains along with Pit.

Last edited:

NewZen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NewZen41
Smash 64: :link64: and :luigi64:, and I still use an incarnation of them to this day.

Melee: I still rocked :luigimelee:, and picked up :younglinkmelee: and :samusmelee:. Young became my overall main by then, but I had to drop him in favor of...

Brawl: :toonlink:and :lucas:. Toon was my overall for this game, Lucas became my secondary, and :luigi2:basically was my third due to how terrible he became, but I still liked him.

Smash 4: As of now, it's (in order of best to worst mains)::4tlink:,:4luigi:,:4megaman:,:4link:,:4samus:,:4darkpit:,and:4palutena:. So pretty much 3 vets stayed as my mains.

Nerdicon

Smash Journeyman
:kirbymelee::kirby2::kirby64::4kirby:: I first played Kirby back in Melee (I was having way too much fun to realize just how bad he was). When I played Brawl I gained him again, but as I got (much) better at the game He joined a small group of mains. Now in Sm4sh it's the same as in Brawl

:roymelee::marth:: I liked Roy in Melee solely because my uncle would always school me with him, much later in Brawl I picked up Marth as my top tier main, the one I could do the best with but not the one I played the most. I completely dropped him in Sm4sh though

:lucas:::cry::crying::c:glare:<------ My reaction to Lucas being cut

:rob::4rob:: He was a complete pain to unlock in Brawl, but ended up being one of my "guilty pleasures" if you will. My friends raged at the projectile spam. I picked him up as a counter pick in this game

TheDarkPotato

Smash Cadet
NNID
Federico2057
Falcon is too common for me to use, I always have to have a kinda vague main (its a problem), so i play D3.

CannonGanon

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-1498-3334
Ah, Melee. How long it was ago. I actually first started off playing :falconmelee: as a kid, but I quickly realized he was too fast for me. So when I crapped myself when I unlocked :ganondorfmelee:, I started using him, as he was just a slower, bulkier Falcon

Then Brawl hit. :ganondorf: sucked major buttitude. I was forced to main :lucas: and main Ganon as an off character. I was really disappointed.

Smash 4 is now here and I've picked :4ganondorf: up yet again, and he's much more fluent and balanced with the rest, if the 2nd worst recovery in the game. As I've recently gotten actually competitive with the game, I've forced to also main :4yoshi: as a High-Tiered main. When people ask, though, Melee, Brawl, or 4, whatever my actions say, I'll always main Captain Falcondorf... and use his up smash as a taunt of his own.

HUAH! HUAH! HUAH! HUAH!

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
In N-64 my main was kirby, but i never played 64 as much as id like, and technically my first true smash game was melee, in that i had a few mains :kirbymelee::younglinkmelee::roymelee::marthmelee::linkmelee::sheikmelee::jigglypuffmelee: but being that I learned the mechanics of smash much quicker than my friends, I was subjected to many double and triple teams for years. This lead to me adopting a more unpredictable character selection for brawl. Instead of worrying about which character would be best to tackle multiple opponents and sweat bullets I selected Random each and every match for years. while my friends stuck to mains like:falco::fox::ike::kirby2::link2:and:pikachu2: I found i could successfully use Nearly Every character in the roster except for a choice few that urked me :wario::popo::dedede: wasnt a fan of those three in brawl much
This lead to my friends constantly fearing what random would give me because i was so versatile. though after entering a tournament I saw the benefits of focusing solely on one or two mains. (i got my but kicked) though afterwards i started some matches with some professionals where we all picked random and the outcome was heavy in my favor.
For smash 4 though IDK what is my main. I enjoy so many newcomers and alterations to old favorites that I'm conflicted.
I dont touch kirby as much any more, not that I dont love the little guy, its just I'm still experimenting with everyone else.
characters ill cycle through in online matches that im most proficient with are :4link::4robinf::4littlemac::4myfriends::4zelda::4villager::4megaman::4lucina::4marth::4zss::4pacman: though this list is subject to change, either being expanded as explore more, or shrink if i choose to focus on one main.

_gold_

Smash Master
Yoshi was my old main back in N64 days. I chose Fox in Melee, just because I liked how fast he was. I was too young to even know what competitive gaming was back then. For the time being, my main is ZSS, but I still use Fox and Yoshi often.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
My original main was Mario, and while he wasn't my main in Melee or Brawl, I always used him very frequently given how much I enjoyed his moves and the simplicity behind them. However, that all changed with Smash 4 and now I rarely use Mario anymore sadly. I guess that was inevitable given the gradually shift from being a main, to a secondary, to a character that doesn't get picked, only during rare occasions. I wonder if that will change in the future. For now however, my current mains are Robin and Lucina, since I can't decide between the two :p, and Shulk as well as Dark Pit as my subs.

Zavanthar The Brave

Smash Rookie
Hmm... my first main was Luigi (in Brawl, altough I had Melee too), but now I don't use him that much. In fact, he's actually one of my less played characters.

THE adversary

Smash Cadet
Initially I mained Kirby in Brawl, my first Smash game (pretty much only because i thought kirbycide was hilarious)
Then I realized that Wario could do the same thing AND fart on his opponents, so he immediately won me over.
I still use Kirby to show people (read: scrubs) that he's more than just down-b spam.

RedishGreen

Smash Rookie
I haven't had much experience with N64 so let's jump straight to Melee.

I was a single main guy when I played melee, playing :drmario: all the time. I just didn't really feel for anyone else at the time, and then I got to brawl to see my poor clone :drmario: removed, so then I played :sonic: and :toonlink: just because of their mobility around the field. Then, Smash 4 came around and to my surprise, :4drmario: returned with a vengeance! I still main him online for the Wii U version, as well as going back to characters like :4mario:, :4megaman:, and :4sonic:. Sadly dropping Toon Link in the process, although I'm starting to learn gameplay with :4pacman:, so he could be a new main some time.

HylianDuelist

Smash Cadet
Hmm... Marth seems to have gotten very nerfed in Sm4sh, so um.... I don't use him much. My other previous main, Ness, is still a lot of fun, although not very practical

Morbi

Scavenger
In the Nintendo 64 version, my mains were :linkmelee::jigglypuffmelee::foxmelee: in that order. So I played Link the most frequently with Jigglypuff as a secondary reasonably well-used and I would occasionally play Fox when I wanted to try something different.

In Melee, I still used :linkmelee: quite frequently and :jigglypuffmelee: rarely; however, I did not really enjoy Fox's changes too much at the time, so I switched to :falcomelee: and decided that I would pick up a character because :ganondorfmelee: is my favorite video-game character. He was also great fun and I actually used him more than Jigglypuff and Falco combined.

In Brawl, :linkmelee: was horrible. I did not like his changes at all and thus I tried to mitigate those feelings with a change to :4tlink:. It did not work out well. Instead I chose to main :4lucario:. I also dropped :jigglypuffmelee: towards the beginning of Brawl; however, prior to Smash 4, I actually started to main her once again. But for all intents and purposes, :linkmelee: and :jigglypuffmelee: were no longer my mains. :falcomelee: became my main after he was my secondary for an extended period of time and :4lucario: started to slip into obscurity. In fact, before long, I replaced him with :marthmelee:. :ganondorfmelee: was still one of my mains exclusively for fun and in Free for All.

In Project M, I had a reunion with :linkmelee: and was able to main :mewtwomelee:, a character I was interested in years before. I mostly used spacies though.

Smash 4, :linkmelee: still sucks but :jigglypuffmelee: is back in full force. I obviously still main :foxmelee: and :falcomelee:. I use :jigglypuffmelee: and :4littlemac: for weird match-ups and for fun. Unfortunately, my love for :4lucario: dissipated and :ganondorfmelee: is horrible in Smash 4. I preferred him in Brawl. I also dropped Marth.

Tl;dr: I dropped Link and Jigglypuff in Brawl, but I picked Jigglypuff back up for Smash 4. Space animals never went anywhere because they are always moderately viable.

midna.

Smash Cadet
Marth was my main since melee and still in now in smash 4 im still gettong used to the weird nerfs that changed his playstyle...

Weeman

Smash Crusader
:falcon64:: YEEESSZZHHH!!!!!
:falconmelee:: YEEESSZZHHH!!!!!
:falcon:: NOOOOOOOOHHHH!!!, so i guess:
:wario::WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
:4falcon:: YEEEEEEZZZZZZ!!!!
Also :fox64::foxmelee::fox::4fox: has always been my secondary i can always rely on.

Akago

Smash Cadet
Well in Smash 4 my main three in order are: :4lucario::4sheik::4falcon:

Falcon was my main in 64, and he was one of my top 3 in Melee and PM. So Falcon persists; the Captain never dies.

Sheik has persisted since Melee too, and Lucario was big in PM and still is. So I'd say I'm pretty consistent with my mains overall.

Mewtwo better be good in Smash 4, since he'll be going onto his third game with me too..

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339
:4link: and I go waaay back, lemme tell ya. Like, 1999.
After finding out there was an entire competitive scene and community and all that jazz (fast-forward to 2009) I went back to Smash 64 and very quickly picked up :falcon64:.

Next I went over to Melee (where, two years later, in 2011, I started practicing techniques like SHFFLing and dash dancing and the like) and just as quickly added :falcomelee:

Backtrack a bit, back to early 2009, where I started tinkering with the Brawl roster. I made the decision to drop all 3 characters. Good decision made, as I easily fell in love with :wolf: and :ivysaur:. And I (very briefly) tried :link2: and :ike:. Couldn't stand either of them. *sadface*

Now, it's 2014, E3. I said to myself, knowing Bamco is helping with the newest games' development, "If :4pacman: is announced, I'm learning him right away."

*cue Pac-Man trailer* "YAAAASSSS!" So now I'm at :4pacman:. Then leaks galore, and I find that my old pal :wolf: didn't make it back, so obviously I had to drop him :confused:

Fast-forward to after the 3DS' release. IIRC, the first character I went online with wasn't actually Pac-Man; It was :4yoshi:. I had remembered both he and :4bowser: received 'makeovers' this time around, so I tried Yoshi. Dear lord, he's amazing! Bowser is, as well.

As of now...I don't really have a specific main (at least, not on Wii U). I'm kinda leaning toward :4kirby::4drmario::4lucina:, though.

As for 3DS, :4marth:is my main, with :4megaman::4drmario: for backup.

I've also been meaning to try out :4shulk:, and tone up my :4greninja::rosalina:(all on Wii U)

Viewtiful-FX

Smash Apprentice
Mainstays from 64 were Pikachu, Kirby, and Samus. I still use them pretty regularly, and have in all the games. Except Brawl. Didn't use Samus much in Brawl.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
For all the characters I played a lot of at some point.
:mario64::mariomelee::mario2::4mario: - My first main in Melee (the first game I played), and my most frequently played by far overall. Currently my only true main in P:M, a secondary in 4, and just short of Ness in 64.
:luigi64::luigimelee::luigi2::4luigi: - Was an early main in 64 and Melee, now I play him a lot in P:M and he's looking to be my true main in SSB4.
:drmario: - My main in Melee when I last played, I prefer Mario in 4.
:ness64::ness2::4ness:- Was my main for a long time in Brawl and is clearly my best in 64; probably 2nd or 3rd in 4.
:lucas: - Was an off character in Brawl and more so in P:M, would gladly pick him up again.
:pikachu64::4pikachu:- Just starting to play around with in both games.
:squirtle:- Ditto Lucas.
:4pacman:- I so want him to be my secondary, and I play him most often casually, but I'm still terrible at him.

ZekeWolfe

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZekeWolfe
3DS FC
2664-2217-5459
My original main (Smash 64) was :link64: and he remained my main up until a few months after I picked up Melee and :sheikmelee: became my main and has remained my main since then. However I also slightly picked up :marth: in Brawl as a secondary and then :4lucina: became my secondary in Sm4sh.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mario and Link were my original mains in Smash 64. I still play them every now and then... I just like Dr. Mario and Toon Link more.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I have a policy of trying a new character every game. That being said, I still do play Captain Falcon (64), Doc (Melee) and R.O.B. (Brawl) every now and again~

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
I use Fox fairly often, of course not as much as Smash64. Back in the day it was either Fox or Yoshi with me. During the time Melee was the most recent smash bros game, I used Fox more than anyone, occasionally I played as Mewtwo even though I sucked with him (nowadays Im a lot better with him). With Brawl it was Lucario and Fox, I used other characters too of course. Project M its Lucario and Mewtwo but I still played as other characters. Smash 4 its Lucario and Fox but I'm sure once Mewtwo is out it'll be more like my Project M mains.

kingman1

Smash Rookie
NNID
kingman1
My main was :4mario: in 64, then switched to :4drmario: in melee. In brawl, I picked up :4falco: and went back to :4mario: as my main. In smash 4, I went back to :4drmario:, and still use him often.I stood with :4falco: for my second main, As a third main, picked up:4pacman:.

Although, from time to time, I will occasionally play :4wiifit: and :4gaw:.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yoshi was my 64 Main because there weren't any good characters in 64.

I suck with him now.

Conversely, I rather like Link a lot, but only in Smash 4. It feels like he's actually got a freaking sword now.

My mains for the other games, well... :roymelee::ivysaur::lucas:

I guess I don't play them much in Smash 4, no.

though Zelda was my secondary in Melee. And after hating her in Brawl, I'm liking her more in 4 again. Training my Zelda amiibo helped that a lot. People keep saying she's terrible but they're pretty wrong which is fun

Last edited:

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
Way back when I played :samus64: on the 64, I was young and pretty sure I pretty much only did neutral b lol. Fast forward a few years and my neighbor has Melee and we played it a bunch, ironically I really thought :falcomelee:/:foxmelee: were super cool so I played them exclusively (Even before I learned about competitive smash). When Brawl came out I played :lucario: for a while then added :marth:, finally ending on :falco: again. Since I was young I always thought Falco (and fox to a lesser extent) were sweet so I still play them in 4.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
Link and I still hang out. Ike and Lucario came along in Brawl, so we had to work part time, but now it's just every other occasion since Mii Brawler entered the arena. I'm starting to work a bit more with Ganondorf and Robin, so many characters now that are valid and fun to play that the Mii is my main, and my now massive list of secondaries are just sparring buddies.

Seriously, I'm a little frustrated with how much fun a large portion of the characters are in Sm4sh, it's startling.

AUS

Smash Cadet
For Melee started with :sheikmelee: and moved to :falcomelee: for a while since I felt Sheik was too limited due to her bad recovery and approach. However later I began to get plenty of tech skill and was able to get combos and easy hits in with Sheik so I went back to my old main.

In Brawl I began with my main man :wolf: and stuck with him due to the fact that I loved his damage output and knock-back. But its Brawl so for me it doesn't matter too much.

For PM I began with :pit:after seeing people like Zero play, but once he got nerfed in 3.5 went back to my brawl main Wolf.

And began Smash 4 with :4zss:. Might change later but I love the stun combos so much I don't know if I'll ever change.

Holla@ChaBoi390

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5100-6686
I've been a Mario main since I first played the N64 version in elementary school. I just like that he can do a lot of things without having a glaring weakness.

Tyketto

Smash Cadet
I haven't played Kirby extensively since N64, but I'm really digging him in Smash 4. He's my secondary.

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
Original Main (way back in 64) is Samus

She was still my most used in Melee with (Mewtwo and Peach being roughly even for 2nd place I bet)

She was then dethroned by Olimar in Brawl although without checking I feel safe saying she's 2nd most used (especially since the game registers her when selecting Zero Suit too.)

Last time I checked in Sm4sh she was virtually tied with her Zero Suit version and about 3 other characters (including Olimar) for second most used after Rosalina (Olimar's dethroner) I like playing so many characters now-a-days that being tied for 2nd with like 4 others is probably a rather low usage rate overall in terms of percent (I can't imagine it's much higher than 5%) but I make a point of playing as her (and Olimar) AT LEAST once every time I turn the game on : )

Last edited:

Polimario

Smash Cadet
NNID
Polimario
3DS FC
4425-1491-7986
I played a little bit of 64 courtesy of a friend of mine back in the day, but I didn't really get into Smash until Brawl.

I vaguely remember using Link a lot whenever we'd play SSB64.

Come Brawl, I remember picking up Link again, but he didn't feel quite right, so I gravitated towards Bowser, Samus, and Wolf. Man, I loved Wolf. Bowser and Samus were fun too, but upon learning of tier lists, I kinda focused on Wolf alone for a bit, before eventually returning to the other two.

Now, I mainly focus on Bowser and Samus, with a little ZSS, Ganondorf, Capt. Falcon, and Greninja thrown in. Link too, has returned to me. I don't use him much, but I enjoy using him again. Heck, he's the guy I used to clear the final few Events on Hard.

Samus is kinda falling out for ZSS for me recently though, I'm starting to dislike her floatiness.

Top Bottom