• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How often do you play per day?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
This question is for people who take Super Smash Bros. Ultimate seriously, both as an amateur or professional. An amateur is someone who doesn't get paid for competing, whereas a professional is someone who does get paid, either through sponsors, or by winning, or both. What's important for both is that you're competitive about SSBU and that you take it very seriously. I typically think that a match takes about 4 minutes, so I just use 4 minutes as an indicator, since if a match takes maybe 3.5 minutes, it can just be rounded for the sake of making a whole number. Count the number of players you've played online, whether Quickplay or Battle Arenas, and multiply by 4.

Today I played against 30 players, and of those 30 players I encountered three of the same players, so although it could be said that I actually played against 27 players, those same players I encountered were added here. This means that I played 120 minutes today, or 2 hours, although I started at 9 a.m. and ended at 12:33 p.m. That's actually 3 hours and 33 minutes, but the time between compared to my actual time playing is irrelevant. I'm mostly interested in how much time professional players invest per day, but even if you're not a professional player, or if you attend local tournaments and perform well, that's fine.

orewaoreda

Smash Rookie
I don't play every day, but usually its around 2-3 hours per session, maybe 4 days out of the week.

I'm not very good, typically a 3M GSP level, but I do take it "seriously."

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm a tournament player. I never play online but go to weeklies and a separate smashfest with other players both once a week. In either I play for several hours. So twice a week plus a little labbing and combo training.

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
I've forced myself to not play every day since I don't have enough time in my personal life to devote so much of it to Smash. That being said, whenever I do play, I do so for between 6-8 hours on average. I started playing at 9pm the other day and went on until just before 4am. I know, I have a problem.

Crescentium

Smash Cadet
I've gone to locals here and there whenever I feel like it and, honestly, I barely even practice at home lol (I do the WaDi thing where my main source of practice is at tournaments.) Sometimes, I can get like 9th. Other times, I go 1-2 or even 0-2. I notice that practicing online before a tournament makes me play worse, so during the rare times I practice at home, it's mainly drills/labbing/etc. Frankly, I still feel new and inconsistent (first tournament was 4 months ago and I've been playing on and off) and I'm just not a competitive person in general, so the motivation isn't entirely there.

So if I had to give an estimate, I'd probably say 2-5 hours of solo offline drills for like one or two days a week (assuming I did practice that week lol). If I'm at a local, I'll play friendlies until the venue closes, so that's roughly another 5+ hours once a week. Yeah, I'm weird lol.

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I used to be the type to play 5+ hours every day, but with changes in my personal life and mental health, I've kinda stepped away from Smash. Now, realistically I probably play twice a week, 2-3 hours a session.

I've also stopped going to tournaments almost completely, while I used to go 2+ times a week.

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
Not much of a competitive player, but I've played also 5,500 total quickplay games since the games release. I try not to do too much per day, since I have other stuff to do, and I don't play every single day, maybe once every 2 to 3 days. On those days, I would play for about 4~5 hours max. I wouldn't call myself a bad player, or a pro player, but a mid-level player (my highest GSP of 5.25M says otherwise).

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I'm a very busy person, as I both have a job and, on my own time, manage and develop a video game I have posted on Steam.

Not much time left for Smash, or other games, to be honest.

I play most Thursdays with a friend group I have, usually for about 5 hours. I sometimes can get a group together for Tuesdays at my place, which also runs for about 5 hours, though during both of these gatherings it's more social and I'm not personally playing the entire time, as we do a lot of tourney 1v1s and stuff while everyone watches on the tv. I play on the weekends with a close, rl friend frequently, usually in spurts of 2-3 hour sessions. If I'm feeling particularly interested, I may do a couple online play sessions each week, usually lasting between 45 minutes and 1.5 hours. That's about it, really, and not all this stuff happens each week. Some weeks I don't play at all.

I like to treat Smash as a sanity break from the computer, as both my development work and job are computer-based, and involve a lot of coding and math. To me, it's more about getting away from the pc to hang out with some friends for a while, as I need a break.

I started going to weeklies for a little while back last Spring, but ultimately felt I couldn't keep up due to the sheer amount of time others there seemed to spend practicing, and have since kind of just stopped going to it. I noticed as soon as I got busy with video game development work, my performance at the weekly plummeted, and I was getting destroyed in friendlies by people I used to have a reasonable win rate against. I know the whole 'use it as a learning experience, take the losses in stride, yada yada' pitch, but yeah it was a bit demoralizing to see my skill level actually tank as I gave up practice time in favor of time spent working on things that needed doing that didn't involve Smash. I just couldn't commit the time to compete with the regulars there, who played and practiced so much. Most of them had room-mates that they'd practice with for hours every night and would just binge play all weekend and stuff.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I really would like to play more. The game has a great value when playing with friends, but 99% of the time I have avaiable to play, I'm alone in my house, and online is the only option. The focus they give to local play is not realistic to the life of many people, including me, that can only really play online most of the time. And the terrible online system of the game, that combines terrible lag in many matches, too much waiting time and unnecessary effort we need to have to play in Arena mode, matches that you may not play the mode you want, and lack of a decent ranked system for some good competition, ruin the online experience in a level that makes me even bored to start the game in many moments. I think I play 1-2 hours per week now.

Last edited:

SameNameTeamStream

Smash Rookie
I just started getting into the competitive scene. ive been trying to put in around 20 hours of practice a week, either it be locals or online.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Anywhere from 3 to 5 hours on a good day. I hope from arena to arena to find new folks to play and try not to stay too long in an arena that has players too far below my current skill level, unless they seem eager to keep playing me. i like to think they are wanting to get better and don't mind having me around, even if I end up on a 30 win streak or something. I admire that determination as I often get it when if a player bops me.

On work days, it's usually two hours playing with friends of mine. On days off it can be up to 5+ hours of arena hopping throughout the day.

SameNameTeamStream

Smash Rookie
Anywhere from 3 to 5 hours on a good day. I hope from arena to arena to find new folks to play and try not to stay too long in an arena that has players too far below my current skill level, unless they seem eager to keep playing me. i like to think they are wanting to get better and don't mind having me around, even if I end up on a 30 win streak or something. I admire that determination as I often get it when if a player bops me.

On work days, it's usually two hours playing with friends of mine. On days off it can be up to 5+ hours of arena hopping throughout the day.
feel free to jump in with us sometime! we have a supportive community and we have a well round skill range.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
feel free to jump in with us sometime! we have a supportive community and we have a well round skill range.
Sounds like a plan. Shoot me a message sometime when you've got one going. I'm usually not online until after 11pm EST Wed-Sunday. Monday and Tues tend to be my days off so I'm active most any time after I drag my sorry hide outa bed around 11am EST XD

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Crystanium Crystanium

I actually don't play everyday, mostly because I don't invite my friend over (most of my playtime is offline). He tends to come over 2-3 times a week, and then you'd also include some of the playtime for our weekly locals. We probably play anywhere form 3-4 hours, and then around 1.5 - 2 hours during the weekly. That's anywhere from 7.5 - 14 hours a week (assuming I'm not terrible at math)... and I've been taking up some online during the past week, so that could add up an extra 2-3+ hours.

Truth is, it doesn't really matter how much hours you get if you're using them wrong. I just feel like I'm running through the motions most of the time, and I'm still doing the same bad habits for years and years. Anyone can relate?

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
For me it roughly 2-5 hours a day. Not straight hours, though; I usually do about 2 hours, then hop off because I’m too salty to do more, and then I occasionally come back and do like another couple hours or so and get more salty, claim that I’m not playing the game anymore...only to come right back to it the next day and get more salty

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
For me it roughly 2-5 hours a day. Not straight hours, though; I usually do about 2 hours, then hop off because I’m too salty to do more, and then I occasionally come back and do like another couple hours or so and get more salty, claim that I’m not playing the game anymore...only to come right back to it the next day and get more salty
Must be hard for you man, especially considering you play Kirby.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
3 hours for every day I played until i get bored and worned out(this goes for every co mpetitive fighting game i play,not just smash)

Last edited:

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
Around 3 hours or more
I take breaks in between so I don't get exhausted of playing so much

CharacterCrisisKing

Smash Apprentice
I have college to deal with, so I only play on weekends at the moment. But I play, ehhh, roundabout 8-11 hours on Saturday and closer to 12-15 on Sunday. Yes, I know it's ridiculously unhealthy, but I am preparing for my first tournament and I really don't want to screw it up. I still haven't found a reliable full S-tier team, even with all my characters. (A full team or "squad" is five characters)

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I have college to deal with, so I only play on weekends at the moment. But I play, ehhh, roundabout 8-11 hours on Saturday and closer to 12-15 on Sunday. Yes, I know it's ridiculously unhealthy, but I am preparing for my first tournament and I really don't want to screw it up. I still haven't found a reliable full S-tier team, even with all my characters. (A full team or "squad" is five characters)
I'm not a doctor, but I can't imagine you're helping yourself by playing that much at a time. For me, generally, after 4 or 5 hours I just zone out and let my hands do the rest. I'm not learning, I'm not adapting, I'm just playing (and losing more). I think if you played for shorter periods but more often you would see better results.

Also, you do you, but I don't think relying on picking up all the S-tiers is your best bet. Just play who you like, you'll get better if you're having fun.

Last edited:

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
Picking up S tiers doesn't mean you will automatically win right from the start. Sure, most top tiers aren't too hard to play, but there are quite a lot of people who don't pick top tiers but still do well against them. The top tiers are the meta right now, and I'm sure those people who play mid/low tier characters have plenty of match-up experience against a top tier (Like me for example, one of my mains is a mid tier (not the one shown under my profile pic), and I can sometimes go toe to toe with the aforementioned "top tier"). Also, playing for 8 hours or more on end isn't a good thing; like the above post said, you'll just tire yourself out and play more sloppier and lose a lot more.

CharacterCrisisKing

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a doctor, but I can't imagine you're helping yourself by playing that much at a time. For me, generally, after 4 or 5 hours I just zone out and let my hands do the rest. I'm not learning, I'm not adapting, I'm just playing (and losing more). I think if you played for shorter periods but more often you would see better results.

Also, you do you, but I don't think relying on picking up all the S-tiers is your best bet. Just play who you like, you'll get better if you're having fun.
Tournament plans had to be cancelled so I switched back to a more reasonable time frame.
Yeah, I learned my lesson with Zelda and Palutena. A lot of hours in a character doesn't mean you like the character.
I was determined forever to be good at Palu, but I just wasn't feeling it. On the other hand, I mained Joker the first hour of playing him.
I switched Palu and Zelda out for Megaman and Greninja. They're only a-tiers, but they're more fun at least.

Last edited:

GhostM

Phantom
Usually depends whether I’m feeling the mood to play Smash or not. I usually don’t play every single day since that’s a little difficult for me to manage, but when I’m on I usually play around 2-3 hours before hopping off for a break. It doesn’t apply only for Ultimate, as it can go for any other Smash title. Haven’t played Ultimate in a bit since I decided to take a break from it for now.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Tournament plans had to be cancelled so I switched back to a more reasonable time frame.
Yeah, I learned my lesson with Zelda and Palutena. A lot of hours in a character doesn't mean you like the character.
I was determined forever to be good at Palu, but I just wasn't feeling it. On the other hand, I mained Joker the first hour of playing him.
I switched Palu and Zelda out for Megaman and Greninja. They're only a-tiers, but they're more fun at least.
Only A tiers...... oh what I’d give to be even B tier lol.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I would like to play much more. I play online games every day. I play Overwatch, Rainbow Six, GTA Online, LoL, and others... and I would be open to play Smash online almost every day too... If it wasn't the only game that the online is terrible, it laggs, and I had enough of lagged matches to give it more chances. Now I really only play really rarely online, and I play more with friends locally, what reduces the amount of time I spend playing the game a lot.
Not making a good online these days is a very good example of how to create a game with a lot of good content, that will mostly not be played in the free time I could be playing.

Last edited:

CharacterCrisisKing

Smash Apprentice
Only A tiers...... oh what I’d give to be even B tier lol.
I feel you, I really do. Have you seen my mains list? Over half of them are lower than c-tier. But I'm trying to make a competitively viable team, so I want at least five S- or A-tier characters.

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
If I were to go with 5 high\top tiers, I would personally go with Ike/Chrom/Roy/Bowser for high tiers and probably Daisy for top tier (I don't play Roy a whole lot, but his moveset is pretty similar to Chrom's; Daisy/Lucina (sometimes Peach) are the only top tiers I feel comfortable playing. I prefer Daisy over Peach since she has more SPAZ, is a tomboy, and she just happens to be my "main" in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I don't really play top tiers all that often, and would much prefer to stick to my radiant boi Ike or the king of perfection D3.

Mr.Dale

Smash Rookie
I play every couple days at these tournaments they have around my area i dont really like the game that much anymore i just like the competition. Ultimate is a disgrace

Top Bottom