• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How much should I be spending on a used SSB64 cartridge?

Ælude

Smash Cadet
GL getting it for less than $80. You might want to consider just getting an everdrive for roughly $100 cause then you can essentially have the entire 64 library on top and the 19XX mod.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
GL getting it for less than $80. You might want to consider just getting an everdrive for roughly $100 cause then you can essentially have the entire 64 library on top and the 19XX mod.
Is this what you're talking about?

Ælude

Smash Cadet
Yes. I also lied as they are probably more accurately closer to $150 so $93 is sick. For smash the version doesn't matter and matters little in general overall as far as I know.

Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
They usually go for around 50-70 dollars here in my city

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
I got mine for $45

so yeah, roughly $50 I'd say

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
They go for $50-$60 around here. Check the Facebook market place often. It's like Craigslist but less crappy. If you live in an urban/populous area, you'll definitely find N64 being sold. They are selling one for $60 at the GameStop down the street from me but if you buy directly from a personal seller you can probably get them for $40 or so. Good luck!

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Be careful not to buy a cartridge with a dead battery or it won't save the unlocked characters.

Question: What's a reasonable price for an EverDrive-64 nowadays? Also, is an ED-64 what's currently used at tournaments?

Yoshi-Fan GM

Smash Cadet
I got my copy of Smash 64 for $25 (400 MXN) thanks to a friend. But normally they sell it for around $50-$60 USD where I live.

Also, is an ED-64 what's currently used at tournaments?
I have seen that they use the 19XXTE hack a lot so I guess they do.

Capos

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't. You can get an everdrive for 80 and have every n64 game plus any mods. When they original carts are going for 50 or 60 it doesn't seem worth the small discount.

DonOwens

Smash Cadet
As of 2018: Recently saw smash bros for $79.99 and $80 at two vintage game stores. I needed a replacement and was unwilling to pay $80, so I went on ebay and bought one for around $45-50. When the cartridge got here, I noticed within a few times of playing that the memory had reset. Knowing one of the store repairs this, I went in and traded the faulty one and paid maybe $10-15 for the one he had in store for $80 (ebay cart had a replacement decal and I'd rather it be original.) Within a week or so same thing happened. Went back to the store where the guy happily soldered in a new battery for free and has had 0 issues since, dude also guaranteed the cart for 20 more years...
Moral of the story- These carts are almost 20 years old and are going to run in to problems. It is probably worth it to pay $80 for a well taken care of SSB. Or just buy 19XXTE from someone who makes the carts.

G-Unit

Smash Cadet
I checked the cheapest prices off ebay (not counting auctions), and a Japanese Game Pak of this game should cost around $20. However, you may need to internally mod your Nintendo 64 or use a universal import adapter to play it.

DonOwens

Smash Cadet
I checked the cheapest prices off ebay (not counting auctions), and a Japanese Game Pak of this game should cost around $20. However, you may need to internally mod your Nintendo 64 or use a universal import adapter to play it.
This is a pretty awful suggestion, unless the integrity of the game is meaningless to you and you'd rather save some money.
Personally, in similar situations, I've learned to not cut corners because it'll usually end up costing you more anyway.
In this case, the suggestion was to buy a cheaper Japanese version and modify your console to play it.
Problems: Need a specific screwdriver. Need to basically break part of the n64, room for user error. Need to take Japanese lessons to enjoy a presumed nostalgic game. Games coming from Asia have been known to be faked. And finally, the PAL version of SSB is far different than the NTSC version, making small things like the sound of a hit different, and large things like DI much different.

G-Unit

Smash Cadet
Well, the Japanese version is already in English anyways, which is uncommon with Nintendo's other Japanese version games.

DonOwens

Smash Cadet
The one part of my post that was light hearted and not literal.... no, of course you don't need to take Japanese lessons to play the game.
My whole point is if you're going to take the game seriously, the Japanese version is not the way to go. If you just want to be able to play the game for the cheapest price and are not concerned with the differences (which I honestly feel would ruin a game that has nostalgic value,) then by all means buy the Japanese version.

Top Bottom