• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many Yoshi mains can DR?

SlayerZaxy

Smash Cadet
A question that crossed my mind a few times. I've noticed that DR isn't that frequently used in competition, so why is it glorified like it is? Yes in theory compared to Melees wave dashing, but in practice it seems much less efficient. Is DR worth learning in the long run?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
There's quite alot of us, and mostly the veteran Yoshi mains know how to, but hardly implement it into their game.

In 2008-2010 I hardly used DR, I was a wifi warrior and, cause of lag, the best thing I tried to practice everyday was B-reverse and Wavebounced Eggthrows since DR isn't needed all that much in incredible amounts of lag.
I didn't actually try DR unless it was offline friendlies with people around my old neighborhood or just to screw around and try it when the opponent is coming back after losing a stock.

When I joined the competitive scene in 2010 around May, I started learning more and more about Yoshi, including DR. I don't use it alot like I should be, but at most... I'll actually pull it off when I want to about 3-7 times and get rewarded for doing it instead of punished.

Anyways, sorry I ranted a bit. To answer your question, at most 80% of us know how to DR, but around 50 or less % actually use it all the time in their tournament matches.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Yoshis that can just do the move? Quite a bit.
Yoshis that can use the move during matches? A few.
Yoshis that understand the mechanics of the move and have efficency pretty high? Less than a handful.

DR was only glorified by a few Yoshis that took the time to learn it. Others doubted it's usefulness for the amount of work needed. Correct useage boosts Yoshi's ground game and ability to keep from having to commit. DR can't be overused or else the technique gets stale just like anything else (this doesn't apply to stupid, broken mechanics or tactics). Some matchups it can be used often, whereas others force much less use of DR.

You don't have to learn DR. There are plenty of Yoshis that play just fine without it.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I use it in matches probably 2-3 times or so a game. I need to use it more though.

Shiri

Smash Chump
Yoshis that can just do the move? Quite a bit.
Yoshis that can use the move during matches? A few.
Yoshis that understand the mechanics of the move and have efficency pretty high? Less than a handful.

DR was only glorified by a few Yoshis that took the time to learn it. Others doubted it's usefulness for the amount of work needed. Correct useage boosts Yoshi's ground game and ability to keep from having to commit. DR can't be overused or else the technique gets stale just like anything else (this doesn't apply to stupid, broken mechanics or tactics). Some matchups it can be used often, whereas others force much less use of DR.

You don't have to learn DR. There are plenty of Yoshis that play just fine without it.
:yoshi: +8 points.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I misread the title as "How many Yoshi mains can DK?" and got all excited for a minute. =[ But that's OK, because I can DR as well. I find I use it more often now in MUs where moves like Dtilt and Dsmash are really rewarding, such as Falco or Olimar. DR opens up so many opportunities for gimps I wouldn't have otherwise.

:005:

ForwardAirRage!

Smash Journeyman
I just went to training mode and practiced it for days... then started playing CPs and basically only trying to DR.. eventually i learned it. dont use it too much in tourney though because i suck and mess up anyways LOL.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I think I already forgot how to use it lol

debbilypoo

Smash Rookie
NNID
debbydollyy
3DS FC
2938-8860-9914
Sorry if I am a bother, I am new to this website, but can someone clarify what DR means? Also, if possible, may you also explain what words such as "bair", "nair", and "dair" mean as well? Or can you just send me a link to where I can find the meaning of these words? It would be very useful. Thanks! :o]

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
DR is a Yoshi technique. It stands for Dragonic Reverse, and it's basically a method of wavedashing for Yoshi.

Bair/nair/dair are all words used to describe characters' attacks. The prefixes "u" "b" "f" "n" and "d" all represent a direction (up, back, forward, neutral, and down), and the rest of the word indicates what the attack is. Smash = smash attack, air = aerial, tilt = tilt attack, etc.

Top Bottom