• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many times have you changed Smash mains?

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I used to change my main in Melee ,from Peach, Falco, Luigi but seeing hungry box inspired me to use Jigglypuff.

However ever since Brawl days I've always been hooked on Diddy and Wolf. Unfortunately Wolf miss out on 4 so Villager took the spot on the most used along with Diddy again.

Craft_Mesa

Smash Rookie
I've jumped about faster than you could say "Yummy Yoda" I've been Sonic, Toon Link, Link, Ike, Cloud, Little Mac, Shulk, Mii Fighters, Mega Man, and soon enough, Richter.

Edit: and Snake, I forgot about Snake.

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I have a tendency to go for Mario clones, Marth clones, Earthbound characters, Cloud, Bayo, Duck Hunt, Shulk, Falcon, Corrin, Ryu, Mewtwo, Bowser Jr....

How can you change your main when you play 3/4 of the whole roster?

PlushyFenn

Smash Rookie
Just in Sm4sh, Kirby to Ganon to Jigglypuff to Little Mac to Young Link to Pit to Pitoo to Greninja to Marth to Ike to Lucina to Lucario to Captain falcon to Mario to Meta Knight to Fox, very likely not in that order. Being that there's 55 characters in the cast (Miis are dumb and stupid and don't count at all) and that I had played 16 of them, it likely means that either it's normal to constantly change your fighter until you find what truly represents you, your playstyle and your abilities as a player or that I have some sort of disorder. It's really a coinflip, I hope it's the former though I can see the ladder as it's been coming for a while.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
In Brawl I went from PKMN Trainer and Snake to Ike/Wolf, and in Sm4sh I played Shulk poorly until Ryu and Cloud hit the scene

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I've never changed mains. I have changed secondaries fairly frequently, though.

Last edited:

Trambo

Smash Cadet
At the beginning of a new game I try to test all the characters. Then gravitate around 5 mostly while still enjoying the rest of the roster. Then over time narrow it to my one favorite.

I went from link , marth, falcon, Luigi and then ganon.

really started to fall in love with heavy hitters after that

Rage NF

Smash Lord
NNID
RageNF
Greetings like three times more or less when I began to fight on Smash 4 I changed from Ike to Mario then to Charizard go with Link later to Sonic Back to Ike. Man its not pretty easy find a main that is suitable for you on top of that I might change my main again from Ike to Ryu since I be Pretty good with that character maybe.

OmegaLurker

Smash Rookie
NNID
charlou8808
Switch FC
SW 1879 7171 9109
I remember when I was playing smash 4 I couldnt even choose myself I just pick random but since ultimate I try to stick to sheik and maybe I'm going to main Cloud once I unlcock him

D

Deleted member

I’ve changed my main twice just since Ultimate came out, and will change it again when Joker releases.

Fox Rox

Smash Apprentice
Went from Fox to Jigglypuff. Since the last 3 games though I just can't really make up my mind.

I found in Brawl, I didn't like any of my old favorites...

I find in Ultimate, I enjoy playing almost too many!

Ginsai

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8248-1982-9689
Tons of times! Lol even in Ultimate, I went from Snake to Rool to Ridley to bayo to Rool to Isabelle to Cloud to Dark Samus to Ridley to current Mewtwo. Which I am sticking with Mewtwo

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Too many times to count.

I usually just have a large chunk of characters I play (about 20-25% of the roster) and my main(s) are just whoever I play the most.

For Brawl it was: :ultbowser::ultmetaknight:
For Smash 4 it was: :ultbowserjr::ultcorrin:
For Ultimate it could be: Any of the 4 above, :ultridley::ultwolf::ultpalutena::ultzelda::ultmewtwo::ultpiranha::ultlucario::ultkrool:+ Any DLC character I like

Last edited:

Mint Tea

Smash Rookie
Too many times to count. During the melee era I'm certain I mained everybody except for Link, Zelda, and Peach at one point. I need to be more disciplined with my characters but there's so many characters to choose from. I'm trying to stick with at least 5 or 6 characters this time around, still struggling with finding an individual character to sink most of my time into though.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Came into Ultimate with the goal to main Young Link, and now I play mostly Lucas.

I still play Yink, but I'm still learning him.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Three or four.

64 was Link

melee was Zelda.

Brawl. lol it went from Zelda to Sonic to Wolf.

4 back to Link.

haven't really touch ultimate.

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
My main as always been Ness, i dropped him a little bit for Lucas back in sm4sh when i first played Mother 3 but i always come back to my favorite little man.

My secondaries however... Zoo wee mama, i just can't make up my mind :T

GhostM

Phantom
First played Dr. Mario in Melee, swapped to Game and Watch, then Fox for all of the 20xx for like 2 months, and then my final change to Captain Falcon. Haven’t changed mains ever since Melee.

Last edited:

Roserie

Smash Rookie
Brawl was the only game where I mained R.O.B. In every other game I've always mained Jigglypuff. The reason I mained R.O.B in brawl was because he was a really great projectile spammer, and he still is, but a couple of his moves have been nerfed. I can't really say I've ever really enjoyed playing as any character as much as Puff, even though I maaaaaay be technically better as R.O.B, even in the newest game.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Once. I mained Pikachu from 64 until Smash 4, then switched to Isabelle.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
30 times. Hopefully this latest one is the last that sticks.

I've been keeping track of the time periods and frequencies of how often I have switched mains throughout my Melee career. It's currently in my About section if you click on my name. I wrote it to help visualize just how many times I have switched mains in the past in hopes of it being a lesson for me in the future to not switch as much. There's a long and complicated history behind each of the switches that I could get into, but I think it's best to leave it as it is now.

In hindsight, this is what I would like to tell myself 6 years ago: "Just pick Sheik, she's not as lame as you think she is."

xwingz900

Smash Apprentice
Jesus...........too many to count.

In Ultimate alone it went something like this:

Ken -> Young Link -> Pikachu ->Corrin -> Roy -> Falco -> Pikachu again for a few months -> Wario -> Young Link again -> Adult Link ->Pichu -> Young Link (this time for good) -> Lucina (double main)

and I'm 99% sure I'll main Banjo eventually

Is this too many characters? Yes
Do I care? No

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Usually I change once per smash cycle.

64 I liked both Ness and Luigi, but I was really casual so I used almost all of them.

In Melee I used Ness, then Luigi, then Peach, then IC.

I’m Brawl I mained Rob then switched to P.T.

In Smash 4 I mained Little Mac and changed to Sonic/Megaman

In Ultimate I can’t say I have a solid main. I’ve kept Sonic/Megaman but I’m changing to Hero!

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
DK in Smash64/Melee

Olimar in Brawl/Smash4/Early Ultimate

and Now Banjo!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I switch between King K. Rool, Ridley, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Bowser, Palutena, Simon Belmont, and Lucina through almost every match. But once awhile I will also play with Meta Knight, Kirby, King Dedede, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt, Dr. Mario, and Ike.

Last edited:

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I have stuck with my mains since Smash 64; so I would say my mains hardly changed.

Super Smash Bros. - Pikachu, Fox, Samus, Mario, and sometimes Luigi, DK, and Link.

Super Smash Bros. Melee - Fox, Mewtwo, Pikachu, Mario, Luigi, DK, Link, and sometimes Samus.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Meta Knight, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, Pikachu, Mario, Luigi, DK, Diddy Kong, Link, Falco, Wolf, Samus, and sometimes Ike.

Super Smash Bros. 4 - Mewtwo, Meta Knight, Villager, Palutena, Fox, Falco, Pikachu, Mario, Luigi, DK, Diddy Kong, Link, PAC-Man, Samus, King Dedede, Captain Falcon, and sometimes Bowser, Bowser Jr. and Little Mac

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - King K. Rool, Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer, Meta Knight, Villager, Palutena, Mario, Luigi, DK, Diddy Kong, Link, Zelda, PAC-Man, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Samus, Ridley, Bowser, King Dedede, Pikachu, Captain Falcon, and sometimes and Bowser Jr. Recently, I’ve been more interested in trying out R.O.B. and Yoshi more as well as trying out Banjo & Kazooie more.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Originaly it was Link until i unlocked Toon-Link in Brawl in Smash 4 it was Toon_link but then i started playing More Kirby and in Ultimate(because F smash) i swapped Toon with Young!

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Every damn week it feels like. I just love playing as everyone! I don’t know how the pros do it. There are 80 characters on this roster and you’ve somehow settled on one!?

Smash 64 - I never really got good at this one but I played :mario64: and :fox64: the most.

Melee - I’ve always played most characters a little bit, but as a kid I played:falconmelee: and :drmario: the most. Then I learned about competitive Melee and started playing :foxmelee::falcomelee:. Nowadays I just play:younglinkmelee:. He’s fun.

Brawl - I changed a lot in this game, but my best were always:gw: and :falco:.

Smash 4 - I spent a fair bit of time with all of the newcomers and DLC. Especially :4darkpit::4bowserjr::4robinm::4cloud::rosalina::4duckhunt::4megaman:. I kind of settled on:4bowserjr: and :4cloud:.

Ultimate - Similar deal to Smash 4. Every time a new character drops, I play the **** out of them. Right now my favorites are the ones in my signature. If I had to pick one though, it would be :ultbowserjr:.

Top Bottom