• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many times have you changed Smash mains?

Cool Trainer Ace

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bleechwiiID
I don't know if it's just me, but when it comes to games with huge character pools, I can never make up my mind.

First it was Pikachu, then Kirby, then Robin, then Villager, back to Robin, over to Greninja, over to Cloud, down to Corrin, then -finally- back to Cloud, who at this moment remains my best and most refined character.

So do you have a chain of mains history like me, or have you switched once or twice?

Last edited:

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I tend to try out a ton of characters for a day or two, but I think I've really only changed mains once. First Mario, then Toon Link.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I've changed my mains to at least a half or more of the current Smash cast. For example, I started out with Robin, then went to Wario, Samus, Mario, Toon Link, Pit, Dark Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Bowser Jr., Bowser, Ness, Villager, Lucario, Roy, Mewtwo, Olimar, Fox, Falco, Duck Hunt Dog, Marth, Yoshi, and Wii Fit Trainer. Not in that particular order though, but you get the idea. My mind changes a lot. I've always found myself coming back to Robin though. He was my favorite character ever since Awakening's release, so that's probably why.

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
With Sm4sh I've changed my mains a decent number of times. For example, I first started off playing Duck Hunt, WFT and Lucina when I was just getting acquainted to the game before I transitioned to Lucas, ZSS and Sheik before it became what it is now; Lucas, Dark Pit/Pit and Bayonetta. Hopefully it stays like this indefinitely.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I've changed my mains to at least a half or more of the current Smash cast. For example, I started out with Robin, then went to Wario, Samus, Mario, Toon Link, Pit, Dark Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Bowser Jr., Bowser, Ness, Villager, Lucario, Roy, Mewtwo, Olimar, Fox, Falco, Duck Hunt Dog, Marth, Yoshi, and Wii Fit Trainer. Not in that particular order though, but you get the idea. My mind changes a lot. I've always found myself coming back to Robin though. He was my favorite character ever since Awakening's release, so that's probably why.
I'm pretty indecisive about characters. My main main has been Toon Link for as long as I can remember, but recently I've been trying out tons of other characters, many of whom I can beat my friends with. Mario, ZSS, Sheik, Diddy, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Marth, Ike, Pikachu, Lucario, Cloud, Lucas, Mewtwo, Bayonetta, Dr. Mario, Mii Brawler, etc.

Xeltyr

Smash Rookie
I have this issue as well. I have such a hard time choosing a main. I started with Palutena on sm4sh, then Lucas, then Mewtwo, then Shulk, then Mario, then Zelda, then Bayonetta, and I'm currently on DK with Bayonetta as a secondary. I wish there were some way of scientifically testing for the main that's best for you. Wonder if there's a correlation between who people main and their Myer's Briggs type....

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Literally like half the cast I've tried maining before I settled into Cloud. A lot of swordfighters and heavies....

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
Never. I've mained Link and Marth since Melee. I've learned to use more characters and developed secondaries over the years, but Link and Marth are always my guys. I'm a character loyalist :D

Squishé

Smash Rookie
Umm... I started smash 4 with Lucina/Sheik, then I went with Greninja, then Pittoo, back to Sheik, went with Lucina then tryed Marth, went with Roy, back to Marth, then Cloud, then Corrin, back to Marth, Cloud, then Fox, and then I came back to the Pit's. Now im back to marth/Lucina. I actually left out my secondaries, and probably a good portion of my mains, but in the end all my work has lead me to find my perfect character, and has taught me all the other characters strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:

Squishé

Smash Rookie
Never. I've mained Link and Marth since Melee. I've learned to use more characters and developed secondaries over the years, but Link and Marth are always my guys. I'm a character loyalist :D
You must be highly dedicated, Link in Brawl was pretty B A D and unbuffed SSB4 Marth (Sakurai why?) Though wish I can say I was that attached to my character, since I ditched Pit, Lucario, and Ike after Brawl.

Last edited:

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
You most be highly dedicated, Link in brawl was pretty B A D and unbuffed SSB4 Marth (Sakurai why?) Though wish I can say I was that attached to my character, since I ditched Pit, Lucario, and Ike after Brawl.
Well, in Melee and Brawl, I was a casual player, I had basically no knowledge about the competitive scene. I didn't know that Link was low tier in Brawl, or that Marth was high tier in Melee. I just used them because they're my favorite characters from my favorite Nintendo franchises, TLoZ and FE. I play characters that I enjoy, simple as that, lol.
I started competitive play in Smash 4, and I used Mario a lot, I almost mained him at the start of 3DS. I was happy that he was better in Smash 4 than in previous games. It was cool to see Nintendo's flagship character have all these options. But I eventually dropped him. Over the years I've used more and more characters, but my mains remain the same. They're always my main characters, and have been since the beginning.

Squishé

Smash Rookie
Well, in Melee and Brawl, I was a casual player, I had basically no knowledge about the competitive scene. I didn't know that Link was low tier in Brawl, or that Marth was high tier in Melee. I just used them because they're my favorite characters from my favorite Nintendo franchises, TLoZ and FE. I play characters that I enjoy, simple as that, lol.
I started competitive play in Smash 4, and I used Mario a lot, I almost mained him at the start of 3DS. I was happy that he was better in Smash 4 than in previous games. It was cool to see Nintendo's flagship character have all these options. But I eventually dropped him. Over the years I've used more and more characters, but my mains remain the same. They're always my main characters, and have been since the beginning.
I was a avid casual Brawl player, Probably have gone through Subspace 5 times, and I know most of the cast by heart, I did know some what about the competitive scene, but a freind got me in after I bought a copy of the 3ds version. I've gone to a "tornament" at my highschool but I'm probably sort of a newbie still, but finally got over my indecisive main picking so I may be able to actually have results. And not picking Zelda as a counter pick to Corrin.

Last edited:

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
When i got melee back in 2006 i main donkey kong and then i got tired of him so then i switched to falco,But then switch to captain falcon but at last i main samus so if i go to tourneys im gonna choose samus.

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I main a different character each game, but I never change once I decide.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Mained :4link: since Melee and 64. Forgot about him in Brawl and went with :4tlink: instead. Demoted Link to pocket when :4lucina: happened. Really thought I was gonna drop him in SSB4 but I always went back to him. Same thing with Toon Link. Tried picking up :4robinm:, :4feroy:, :4zss: and :4pit:.

Unfortunately both of them didn't go through. Robin was too slow, I didn't flow with Roy's close range gimmick and don't like Pit's low KO power, even though he's suppose to be the average character. As for ZZS, I just completely forgot about her.

So as of right now, I stand and go by Lucina as my full-time main.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
The only characters that I dropped as mains in Smash 4 are :4sonic:, :4pit:, :4zss:, and :rosalina:. I've been with :4megaman: since Day 1 and :4kirby: since Sonic got his B-Throw nerfed. I'm a commitment person, so if I really happen to love playing as a character (which is the case with Megs and Kirby), I'll stick with them, even if Kirby isn't that good.

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
i tried to main half the roster before settling with :4ness: & :4yoshi: (Who i consider to be my best characters) but i was trying out :4ryu:, :4gaw:, :4sonic:,:4luigi:, & :4drmario: to name a few.

Questriolu

Smash Cadet
I oftenly change my mains. First, I mained :4lucario:, then :4metaknight:, and then :4robinm:, then :4pacman:, and back to :4robinm:.

The other characters stated above are now pockets, while :4metaknight: is my secondary.

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
i have tried maining every character on the rhoster of every smash game.

u can ask my smash budis (except ya cant cuz ya dont know them lol), i cant stay with one character and if i try having like two or three main characters that i rely on then that doesnt work either

Last edited:

Illusions

Smash Cadet
NNID
minnievanilly
3DS FC
0345-0482-7374
I have changed my main only once, basically. The very first character that I wanted to try to main was Peach, but that experiment didn't last for long so I don't really count her as a main of mine in the past. I sticked to Link for a few months and really tried to make him work for me, but I just felt like I couldn't reach my full potential with him, so I switched to Zero Suit.

I just knew that ZSS was the one for me the moment I laid my eyes on her. We have been together ever since. I have concentrated solely on getting better at using ZSS now. It's kind of funny that I used to be decent with Link (sort of), but now I can't use him at all because he is so slow compared to ZSS.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
When 3DS first came out, I mained Shulk/Robin/Falcon. I dropped Robin for a long time and picked up Ganon after that. Then I dropped Falcon for ROB, and dropped everybody for a full time Ryu. I love playing all those characters still though.

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
I have always been a ZSS main, but I have dabbled with Lucina, Cloud, Bayonetta, and as of late, Mario.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Huh boy, too many to count.

I started off using a bunch of characters, but primarily using Dedede. Then Bayonetta and Corrin came out and I significantly cut down my mains.

Now I have Cloud as my primary main. I use another character to cover Cloud's weaknesses, but that character fluctuates a lot, from using Captain Falcon, to Bayonetta, to R.O.B., to Kirby...

I dual main Bayo now, but at the moment, I don't know if my dual main is secure.

PigPen910

Smash Rookie
NNID
PigPen910
3DS FC
5344-1886-2173
My mains in SSB4 in order from my first, to current: Meta Knight was my first. Then I moved to Little Mac, dropped Mac and Meta Knight. Started playing Captain Falcon for a bit, dropped CF for Ganondorf, then dropped Ganondorf for Cloud and Little Mac again.

My mains in Project M (Have stayed consistent): Snake, Fox, and Ganondorf

Last edited:

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Oh, and as a side note... How in the hell do I get that thing on the bottom of my posts like most of the people in these threads have.
You mean a signature? Although you already have one so I'm going to guess you figured that out...

Jaabir

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jaabir1
The only character i dropped was:4drmario: I was playing:yoshi64::luigi64: since 64 and:gw::olimar: in brawl now I have :4gaw::4olimar::4luigi::4yoshi: in ssb4 I never had melee but if I did my mains would be:gawmelee::luigimelee::yoshimelee:

Synnett

Alligator Lord
I guess I'm the privileged kind lol. For Melee, I played Pikachu for several years, then when I started competitive I switched to Bowser. Haven't changed since. For Smash 4, I settled on my character as soon as the game was released. I've been playing Duck Hunt ever since. I guess the way I choose characters is if I like the concept of the character, I don't care much what tier it is or what my results are at first, I'm motivated to learn the character if it offers a mental challenge,

That said I don't like to play ''easy'' characters with confirmed combos and stuff. I like to play the neutral.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Link has been my main man since Smash 64 so I haven't really changed my mains. I did add a few more in other Smash games prior to Sm4sh, which I've added and settled in with Rosalina and Cloud.

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
for melee i was a childhood roy, then a captain falcon when actually learning because the best player i knew played him, and then marth because i missed roy but i also like to win

ArkBahamut

Smash Rookie
i was a super edgy Dark Pit "main". then i played Greninja. then i found Yoshi.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
64, Melee, PM: Almost every single time I've played them, because they're not the Smash games that I've put any legitimate interest into.

Brawl: I've at some point mained :metaknight::sonic::toonlink::pikachu2: before ultimately settling on :zerosuitsamus:.

Smash 4: My mains were originally both :4zss: and :4miif:; ZSS and :4miisword: before the Wii U version came out, :4miigun: when I found out the Grenade special makes a complete joke of CPUs, and eventually dropped Miis because it was a pain in the *** to import my joke Miis to other people's consoles, and I wasn't going to bother importing the edgy OCs I made, either.

Yes, you read that correctly. Edgy Mii OC.

D

Deleted member

I usually stick to Marth but I like to experiment with other characters as well. In Smash 4 for example I used Cloud quite a bit and Corrin, but Marth will forever be my number 1 main.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Hoo boy. In Sm4sh alone I started with Shulk, switched to Marth, then to Roy, then I couldn't make up my mind for a while and played Puff a lot. I eventually settled on Cloud, but still play all the characters I used to main a lot.

D

Deleted member

When I was a small child I used to play Pikachu and sometimes peach in melee. But Zelda was my first 'main'. And ive mained for 5+ yrs. Brawl and Smash 4

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
Ohoho. Too many.

I started with Link, which then progressed into Toon Link. Then Sonic. Then Zero Suit Samus.

At the time of making this account I was at Dp (obviously :laugh:)

Then I went through Peach, Ness, Lucas, Robin, Marth, Lucina, and then I landed on Roy, who is undoubtedly my boy. :ultroy:

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
Brawl I played almost non-stop when it came out. One of the characters I played a ton of was :pt:, and then after a six month hiatus I completely lost the ability to play him.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Oh gosh. Uh...I always have trouble finding mains. Previous ones have been Ice Climbers, Luigi, Duck Hunt, Villager, G&W, Pikachu, and Kirby. Yup. All of those.

Last edited:
Top Bottom