• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many Sonic playable characters should we have?

How many playable Sonic characters would be the best?

• 1-3

Votes: 57 82.6%
  • 4-6

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • 7-9

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 10+

Votes: 4 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
No, she shouldn't. She's not a video game character.
Yeah, about that...

A. Sally is actually the squirrel that pops out of robots in the old games:

The cartoon redesigned the character significantly, but didn't create the character. She literally can be seen in the background of Windy Hills.

B. Amy Rose & Charmy are from a Sonic Manga:
https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Amy_(Shogakukan)
https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Charmy_Bee_(Shogakukan)

& yet they still appeared in SSB in compacitiy

Gobthor

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3201-4105-0939
I think 10 would be the best, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Eggman, Omega, Amy, Cream, Big, Rouge.
Dude. I main Ken and Street Fighter is one of my favorite games of all time but you don't see me saying how we need the whole SF2 roster... you're clearly biased torwards your favorite series.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Yeah, about that...

The cartoon redesigned the character significantly, but didn't create the character. She literally can be seen in the background of Windy Hills.
Well, okay then. In that case, a squirrel that pops out of a badnik (the game version) isn't an important enough character to be in Smash.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Just two or maybe three, Sonic is massive overdue for a another fighter considering it’s been around since Brawl and it’s one of the biggest series in Smash.

The very thought honestly ridicules me but it’s still a 3rd party franchise so keep the numbers limited.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, about that...

B. Amy Rose & Charmy are from a Sonic Manga:
https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Amy_(Shogakukan)
https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Charmy_Bee_(Shogakukan)

& yet they still appeared in SSB in compacitiy
Yes, she's in the game, but the person who wanted Sally in the game was asking specifically for the one in the comic. And as a far as I know, that version has not appeared in the games.
Also according to the Amy article, the Shogakukan Amy was the inspiration for the games Amy. So, technically speaking, they are not the same character.
I didn't read about Charmy though. I don't like him. He's too annoying.

D

Deleted member

Sonic is all the rep his franchise deserves. Third parties need to be kept at a minimum.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Yes, she's in the game, but the person who wanted Sally in the game was asking specifically for the one in the comic. And as a far as I know, that version has not appeared in the games.
You're correct! In addition to at least having Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, and Shadow be playable. I would like to have Sally as an assist trophy. I know that everyone would be delighted to see Shadow and Tails's inclusions. But I wonder how they would react to Sally as an assist trophy.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I know that everyone would be delighted to see Shadow and Tails's inclusions.
I don't want Shadow as anything more than an assist or possibly an alternate color for Sonic.

Frankly, even being an assist is pushing it.

D

Deleted member

You're correct! In addition to at least having Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, and Shadow be playable. I would like to have Sally as an assist trophy. I know that everyone would be delighted to see Shadow and Tails's inclusions. But I wonder how they would react to Sally as an assist trophy.
Buddy...... just play Mario and Sonic at the Olympics....

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
If we're being completely reasonable then I can't see the Sonic franchise having anymore than 3 reps as playable...

With that said I'd totally love to see more reps than that. My most wanted characters would be Tails, Mighty, Espio & Knuckles

However, if there were hypothetically no limits to how many could be added then for me personally I could see the following characters as well;
Silver, Eggman, Shadow, Rouge, Amy, and Blaze.

You could also argue for Metal-Sonic but he's the only one I'd make a true 'Echo' while a couple other characters I'd consider more as 'clones' like when comparing Villager to Isabelle.

xwingz900

Smash Apprentice
Just because it's a trend thus far doesn't mean it's a rule, much less one enforced by Sakurai.
They have had since brawl to put in another playable Sonic character and they insist on doing only new assist trophies regardless. It's pretty safe to assume that it's a soft rule

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
They have had since brawl to put in another playable Sonic character and they insist on doing only new assist trophies regardless. It's pretty safe to assume that it's a soft rule
No. The last DK rep was also in Brawl and we just got King K. Rool. Same for Metroid. And remember when everyone said Banjo-Kazooie was a pipe dream?

Last edited:

xwingz900

Smash Apprentice
No. The last DK rep was also in Brawl and we just got King K. Rool. Same for Metroid. And remember when everyone said Banjo-Kazooie was a pipe dream?
Ridley and Krool are not third party characters, and Banjo is the first rep from his series, I think you missed the first part of my response.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
One and only one, Sonic. We don’t need Were Sonic and Metal Sonic.

Now if the thread title was clarifying that they meant the franchise and not the character, then I would say 2: Sonic and Tails or Shadow.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I think Sonic would do well with three. Sonic, Tails, and Dr. Eggman would make the most sense.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I think Sonic would do well with three. Sonic, Tails, and Dr. Eggman would make the most sense.
Those look great I think we could also have Knuckles and Shadow as well.

Fine, Sally Acorn can join as an Assist Trophy in the next Smash, but ONLY if Garfield gets in with Odie as a Banjo Kazooie echo. Otherwise, no deal.
I would be fine with Sally as an assist trophy, and I never want her to be playable, but I don't think Garfield should be included in Smash at all. In fact, I would be upset if Sally was playable, especially if she got in before Tails, Shadow and/or Knuckles. Plus, I've already mentioned that Sally should been an assist trophy if Knuckles and/or Shadow get promoted to playable in Smash 6.

And plus, why are you fine with Sally as an assist trophy? I would be happy if it ever happens in Smash 6.

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Garfield should be included in Smash at all.
Exactly! It just doesn't make sense. Why should Garfield, a comic character, be integrated in Smash? Only videogames characters are allowed into Smash.
That's why Sally Acorn can't enter. Neither as a playable character, or an Assist Trophy. She's a Comic character!
If you like Sally, that's cool. But you can't just throw that idea and expect that we take it seriously. Imagine if I decide to create a thread called: "Which Mario characters would you add/remove?" and out of nowhere I say: "I honestly think this Goomba right here should be added"

UserKev

Smash Champion
Ugh. Not hating on Tails, but Knuckles is way more sensible in terms of Smash material. Three reps, Sonic, Sonic echo and a unique final rep, Eggman.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Exactly! It just doesn't make sense. Why should Garfield, a comic character, be integrated in Smash? Only videogames characters are allowed into Smash.
That's why Sally Acorn can't enter. Neither as a playable character, or an Assist Trophy. She's a Comic character!
If you like Sally, that's cool. But you can't just throw that idea and expect that we take it seriously. Imagine if I decide to create a thread called: "Which Mario characters would you add/remove?" and out of nowhere I say: "I honestly think this Goomba right here should be added"
Your quote about that Goomba was hillarious!

I'm not surprised that Sally nor Bunnie isn't a spirit. Both of them have been deconfirmed since Smash 64 for good. Well, I think Sally would be an exception because she is a Sonic character and Sonic is a 3rd party franchise, (not 4th party). But she still merits to be an assist trophy and never playable.

On the other hand, I would have Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and Eggman as playable characters. I would still be upset if Amy was an assist trophy. Even if she wasn't going to be playable or not. And I think Sally is a better assist trophy role than all of those characters.

How would sally function as an assist trophy? And how would fans react to her being an assist trophy and that Shadow is playable in Smash 6.

Last edited:

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Those look great I think we could also have Knuckles and Shadow as well.
Yeah man, either of those characters could be really cool! Tails and Eggman would be my first picks, but it'd be cool to see them in as well. Metal Sonic could also make a good echo fighter of Sonic.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Personally I think Eggman is the only other Sonic character we should have. Other than him the series has little to offer outside of poorly designed anthropomorphics with little personality. Eggman would be fun to play as but I'd much rather have Amy, Knuckes, Tails, etc. be either alternate costumes of Sonic or assist trophies.

While I agree that Sonic could use another rep I still feel like one more is enough. Smash as of right now is still primarily a Nintendo crossover with third parties as honored guests. And I don't think that Sonic needs a tremendous amount of representation at the moment: as far as third party representation goes, Sonic is golden. I'd rather them focus on a series with less content in the game like Persona, Mega Man, or Castlevania.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Okay, personally, I imagine the whole problem with the Sonic franchise's representation in Smash Bros. could be simply fixed with a simple idea; just use other characters over the actual player of 'Sonic', somewhat similarly to the way this was achieved with Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings. This would mean the moveset is fundamentally identical, but the effects are altered. Remember, the reason that almost all of Sonic's alts are blue is due literally to the fact that his spin dash effects are blue.

With the simple alteration of the individual effects, here's my idea for feasible alts.

1. Sonic.
2. Tails.
3. Knuckles.
4. Amy.
5. Cream.
6. Metal Sonic.
7. Shadow.
8. Silver.

The case for any of these characters to be in Smash could potentally arise. I would suggest that this improved Sonic, as well as Dr. Eggman, would be perfect. However, if one of the 'alt' characters were to arise, I have a few other suggestions for alts as well as these.

9. Rouge.
10. Blaze.
11. Jet.
12. Charmy.
13. Espio.
14. Emerl.
15. Ray.
16. Mighty.

Now I'm aware that, canonically, this may not make perfect sense, but hear me out. One thing that may have been noticed is that all of the characters present do literally have the same abilities as Sonic himself, and this has been seen in many games. Now, I'm aware that some games are not so; Sonic Heroes being an excellent example. However, seems as many of them have demonstrated similar, if not identical, abilities during their existence as Sonic, it makes sense.

Now, I'm aware of a few other things, but these would need only be small touches that would essentially make Sonic as a Smash character a love letter to the fans of the franchise itself. A few such additions are listed below.

1. Different dashing/running animations. These include Shadow's skating motion, and Tails being able to fly.
2. Cheese (Cream's Chao.) It's a small addition that would do literally nothing, but would be such a love letter if it were to be added!
3. Different sound effects/voice acting/dialogue. After all, Amy wouldn't be all like 'Come on, step it up.' Put in the right stuff!
4. Different taunts. Although I get that it's really unlikely, having taunts that are based on each individual character would be incredible.

Of course, these are only the 'realistic' ideas. Say what you will/

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Okay, personally, I imagine the whole problem with the Sonic franchise's representation in Smash Bros. could be simply fixed with a simple idea; just use other characters over the actual player of 'Sonic', somewhat similarly to the way this was achieved with Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings. This would mean the moveset is fundamentally identical, but the effects are altered. Remember, the reason that almost all of Sonic's alts are blue is due literally to the fact that his spin dash effects are blue.

With the simple alteration of the individual effects, here's my idea for feasible alts.

1. Sonic.
2. Tails.
3. Knuckles.
4. Amy.
5. Cream.
6. Metal Sonic.
7. Shadow.
8. Silver.

The case for any of these characters to be in Smash could potentally arise. I would suggest that this improved Sonic, as well as Dr. Eggman, would be perfect. However, if one of the 'alt' characters were to arise, I have a few other suggestions for alts as well as these.

9. Rouge.
10. Blaze.
11. Jet.
12. Charmy.
13. Espio.
14. Emerl.
15. Ray.
16. Mighty.

Now I'm aware that, canonically, this may not make perfect sense, but hear me out. One thing that may have been noticed is that all of the characters present do literally have the same abilities as Sonic himself, and this has been seen in many games. Now, I'm aware that some games are not so; Sonic Heroes being an excellent example. However, seems as many of them have demonstrated similar, if not identical, abilities during their existence as Sonic, it makes sense.

Now, I'm aware of a few other things, but these would need only be small touches that would essentially make Sonic as a Smash character a love letter to the fans of the franchise itself. A few such additions are listed below.

1. Different dashing/running animations. These include Shadow's skating motion, and Tails being able to fly.
2. Cheese (Cream's Chao.) It's a small addition that would do literally nothing, but would be such a love letter if it were to be added!
3. Different sound effects/voice acting/dialogue. After all, Amy wouldn't be all like 'Come on, step it up.' Put in the right stuff!
4. Different taunts. Although I get that it's really unlikely, having taunts that are based on each individual character would be incredible.

Historically, if a character has different animations, they're an echo, not an alt, due to differences in hurtbox positions with different animations. So unfortunately it's really not realistic.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

1. Sonic.
2. Tails.
3. Knuckles.
4. Amy.
5. Cream.
6. Metal Sonic.
7. Shadow.
8. Silver.

9. Rouge.
10. Blaze.
11. Jet.
12. Charmy.
13. Espio.
14. Emerl.
15. Ray.
16. Mighty.

I don't think alts would work; the characters have different personalities, so Sonic's animations wouldn't fit. Some characters are also shorter. Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings work because the proportions are made to be about the same, and they share the exact same animations with the only differences being whether they're holding a hammer or a wand, which have the same hitbox and about the same length/width anyway, or if they're Morton and have their mouth stuck open; since they're in the clown car most of the time, it works. The animations they share are also things that'd make sense for any of them to do, even if they could have some differences at least.

Tbh this is also a problem for Alph and Olimar, though they were kept generic due to having the same abilities and very close proportions despite having different personalities and voices in their games...still weird for Alph to have a soulless stare...

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman

1. Sonic.
2. Tails.
3. Knuckles.
4. Amy.
5. Cream.
6. Metal Sonic.
7. Shadow.
8. Silver.

9. Rouge.
10. Blaze.
11. Jet.
12. Charmy.
13. Espio.
14. Emerl.
15. Ray.
16. Mighty.

The thing is, while most Sonic characters can do the Spin Ball, just making them alt skins is kinda lame.

Metal Sonic and Emerl and maaaybe Tails, sure they could be skins. But, Knuckles for example, is the tough guy. I don't think he would do the same breakdance moves that Sonic does. He can also glide. Amy without the hammer, no thanks! Cream and Cheese fight like a team, Cheese can't be just an accesory. Both Shadow and Silver have psychic powers, we can't just ignore that.

Of course, I know it's impossible for all those characters to be playable in Smash, but it would great if whoever gets in is at least a semi echo, and not just a costume.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Yeah man, either of those characters could be really cool! Tails and Eggman would be my first picks, but it'd be cool to see them in as well. Metal Sonic could also make a good echo fighter of Sonic.
I always knew that Metal Sonic could be an Echo of Sonic.

I think sonic and tails is enough and maybe even knuckles ( but he's an assist trophy )
We can have at least 3-4, but Knuckles and Shadow may be promoted to playable in Smash 6. In addition to adding Tails.

Personally I think Eggman is the only other Sonic character we should have. Other than him the series has little to offer outside of poorly designed anthropomorphics with little personality. Eggman would be fun to play as but I'd much rather have Amy, Knuckes, Tails, etc. be either alternate costumes of Sonic or assist trophies.

While I agree that Sonic could use another rep I still feel like one more is enough. Smash as of right now is still primarily a Nintendo crossover with third parties as honored guests. And I don't think that Sonic needs a tremendous amount of representation at the moment: as far as third party representation goes, Sonic is golden. I'd rather them focus on a series with less content in the game like Persona, Mega Man, or Castlevania.
I always knew that Eggman would be a great addition too. But I think that we could also just have Tails and Knuckles both as pseudo-clones of Sonic. Amy would be a pseudo-clone too. Same goes with Cream, Silver etc. Shadow would be a full-clone/echo or semi clones. Eggman would be made from scratch.

The thing is, while most Sonic characters can do the Spin Ball, just making them alt skins is kinda lame.
I agree. I always knew that Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow etc. would all share the same special moves as Sonic except for their up specials. The rest of Tails's and Knuckle's movesets except for their final smashes would be unique.

On the other hand Kai (Kai the Hedgefox)/I can't do spin dash. And if he/I was playable his/my moveset wouldn't even be cloned from Sonic. And he/I is/am not even a Sonic character. Kai/I would be made from scratch. But he/I will never be in Smash.

I don't think alts would work; the characters have different personalities, so Sonic's animations wouldn't fit. Some characters are also shorter. Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings work because the proportions are made to be about the same, and they share the exact same animations with the only differences being whether they're holding a hammer or a wand, which have the same hitbox and about the same length/width anyway, or if they're Morton and have their mouth stuck open; since they're in the clown car most of the time, it works. The animations they share are also things that'd make sense for any of them to do, even if they could have some differences at least..
I understand, Tails, Knuckles, Cream etc. can't be echoes or alt skins for Sonic, due to their proportions. But they could still be considered clones (non-echoes), semi-clones or Pseudo-Clones.

Last edited:
Top Bottom