• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many Sonic playable characters should we have?

How many playable Sonic characters would be the best?

• 1-3

Votes: 57 82.6%
  • 4-6

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • 7-9

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 10+

Votes: 4 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Having at least 2 to 3 would be the best.

Being Sonic, Shadow (Echo-Fighter) and Knuckles (Newcomer)

Dr.Robotnik (aka Eggman) would be a fun boss however

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Tails could make a very interesting playable character. Knuckles as a Sonic echo would also be just fine.
You are correct! But I've aforementioned that both Tails and Knuckles would be Pseudo-clones of Sonic instead of full-clones/semi-clones. Aside from those two, I'd just add Shadow and Eggman and that might be it.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
You are correct! But I've aforementioned that both Tails and Knuckles would be Pseudo-clones of Sonic instead of full-clones/semi-clones. Aside from those two, I'd just add Shadow and Eggman and that might be it.
I feel like Tails shouldn't really be a clone at all. Tails should have a very different moveset and play style based around his flying ability. I would actually advocate for Tails getting the same float mechanic as Peach.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
1-3. I don't see a good enough reason why Sonic should get a second rep as of right now, especially not before we get something like Mrs. PAC-MAN or a new Mega Man/Persona rep.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I can see a second rep. That's not too much of a big deal. I just really don't see what makes Sonic, as a series, so special that it deserves four or five characters.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Nah, I think we're good with just the one rep. Sonic is one of the only characters in the series that I care about anyway lol.

If we absolutely had to have another Sonic character in the roster, I think Eggman is the best choice. He adds to the selection of villains which Ultimate is currently lacking in and he's also been there since the first Genesis game.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Having another less iconic 3rd party 2nd rep, without Tails in my opinion, isn't a particulary great idea.
Elaborate.

Why should Konami and Nintendo give a damn about Tails to the point of withholding Castlevania content? Obviously you care about Tails (despite hating Sonic), but why should they care to the point of prioritizing him before any other 2nd third party? Why should that be in their best interest?

Give me a good reason and not some biased opinion.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I can see a second rep. That's not too much of a big deal. I just really don't see what makes Sonic, as a series, so special that it deserves four or five characters.
Beyond Eggman, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and exceptionally Shadow, most Sonic characters just look like pallet swops. Big The Cat, I imagine can be a really fun and unique addition.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Why should Konami and Nintendo give a damn about Tails to the point of withholding Castlevania content? Obviously you care about Tails (despite hating Sonic), but why should they care to the point of prioritizing him before any other 2nd third party? Why should that be in their best interest?

Give me a good reason and not some biased opinion.
I'm not saying that Richter needs to get in before Tails, but I mean that we can have Richter, but we shouldn't have him without Tails. The reason why need to have both Tails and Richter is because Tails is more iconic than Richter, so we can't have Richter without Tails. Although Richter is an Echo whereas Tails would be a Pseudo-clone of Sonic.

So.... she would be a good assist trophy because she's an assist trophy that is not playable (???), and doesn't belong in the game but it's there anyway?
You're correct, Sally should be an assist trophy because she shouldn't be playable, but she should still be at least included in the game.

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
You're correct, Sally should be an assist trophy because she shouldn't be playable, but she should still be at least included in the game.
Fine, Sally Acorn can join as an Assist Trophy in the next Smash, but ONLY if Garfield gets in with Odie as a Banjo Kazooie echo. Otherwise, no deal.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
At least Garfield had a memorable NES game.

It's not good by any stretch of the imagination, but it is memorable.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
At least Garfield had a memorable NES game.

It's not good by any stretch of the imagination, but it is memorable.
Exactly. I didn't knew much about Sally, (only she's not connected to the games universe) so I decided to search, and what do I find? She has sci-fi weapons. And that's pretty much everything there is to her character. Not really deeper or different to any Sonic OC created.

Now Garfield in the other hand, he kicks the competition to orbit!

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'm not saying that Richter needs to get in before Tails, but I mean that we can have Richter, but we shouldn't have him without Tails. The reason why need to have both Tails and Richter is because Tails is more iconic than Richter, so we can't have Richter without Tails. Although Richter is an Echo whereas Tails would be a Pseudo-clone of Sonic.
I don't think that logic is sound at all. For starters, it comes from a place of personal interest.

Richter and Tails aren't a package deal. Richter shouldn't be barred entry into Smash just because there is no Tails. Tails is not an unwelcome addition but he doesn't "need" to be in Smash before any others.

It's ok to want a character, but you don't get to decide what is right and wrong in this scenario. This is between Nintendo and Sega, and between Nintendo and Konami. I mentioned earlier that some companies probably push harder than others for their franchises. Konami might have felt it was right to lend Richter alongside Simon and Snake, and Nintendo probably didn't see anything wrong with that to say no to it. Being an echo helps because that just means he is easier to implement.
Likewise, Sega might not have been terribly interested in having other Sonic characters join fray. Why should they be worried that much for Tails when they have more shares of the pie with Persona and Bayonetta representation as well? I don't think his status warrants him special treatment. At least Sega does not appear to feel that way.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Exactly. I didn't knew much about Sally, (only she's not connected to the games universe) so I decided to search, and what do I find? She has sci-fi weapons. And that's pretty much everything there is to her character. Not really deeper or different to any Sonic OC created.
Sally is a pretty major comic character, probably the most iconic Sonic franchise character from outside the games.

But she's still not a video game character.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Honestly, I don't really care about Sonic nowhere near to the extent that I did almost a decade ago, but I'd still absolutely love to see Blaze playable, no matter how unlikely it is.

I just really don't see what makes Sonic, as a series, so special that it deserves four or five characters.
Clearly, the Sonic fanbase just deserves more characters, just for being so gosh darn. . . whatever you want to describe them as.

Bandanna_Waddle_Dee

Smash Apprentice
I can't see any character other than Tails, Shadow or Eggman getting added (maybe Knuckles, but that's it).

As for how many of those will get in? I'm not sure. I think Tails and Shadow are close to being tied for the most likely, and Eggman would be neat but I can see him being a boss instead. I don't think we'll live in a timeline where all three of those are playable.

The only possibilities of any other character getting in are if a) they wanted a quick Sonic echo fighter and picked Metal over Shadow for some reason, or b) we're in the tenth instalment of Smash and they've ran out of characters to add.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Am I the only the one who sees Eggman as a boss in Smash, forced? Boss Eggman has a time for everything, but him being a boss in Smash isn't one of them, I see it as a complex matter. Eggman is too conscious a character to be a Smash boss, he actually doesn't fit that role in Smash. And then, would he need to be at a suddenly bigger size? Imagine Mario as tall as Eggman in his Egg mobile, Captain Falcon even taller. Would his Egg robot need to be triple the height?

Eggman needs to be playable because its reversed legendary and way less work.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I think Eggman could easily end up as a boss, particularly in something like that giant robot from Sonic 2(?). I'd just much rather see him playable.

If they wanted to differentiate him from Bowser Jr. a little bit, they could make some sort of combination of his traditional carrier and the egg walker from SA2. Just give the thing legs.

D

Deleted member

Obviously we need at least 10 Sonic characters. In fact I think Nintendo should go further then that, replace all of the characters with Sonic characters, then the roster will be far better without obscure characters such as "Mario".

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I’d say 3-4 Sonic, Eggman, Tails and Knuckles. I’d like to see Blaze but honestly she’s not the important to the franchise just a fan favorite.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Am I the only the one who sees Eggman as a boss in Smash, forced? Boss Eggman has a time for everything, but him being a boss in Smash isn't one of them, I see it as a complex matter. Eggman is too conscious a character to be a Smash boss, he actually doesn't fit that role in Smash. And then, would he need to be at a suddenly bigger size? Imagine Mario as tall as Eggman in his Egg mobile, Captain Falcon even taller. Would his Egg robot need to be triple the height?

Eggman needs to be playable because its reversed legendary and way less work.
He can use the Egg Dragoon or the Death Egg Robot. That way, Eggman stays normal size while he fights in a giant mecha, not so different from Porky Minch.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I'd love to see Tails be playable.

However, I do think 1-3 Sonic characters would be nice to have. Tails, Eggman, and Knuckles would likely get my support in terms of choices.

Yung Nikey

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5399-5236-5207
Eggman would be perfect, can't go wrong with another popular heavy villain tbh

xwingz900

Smash Apprentice
The standard rule seems to be third party series get one fighter each with maybe an echo fighter at most, and this seems to apply to Sonic as well despite it being a bit....... friendlier?(I think that's the word I'm looking for) on Nintendo consoles. I mean the dude get's a new Olympic game crossover every couple of years with Mario, does his series really only deserve one spot on the roster? I completely understand that it's Sakurai's rule and we should respect it, but I feel like the series deserves at least one more rep, most likely Tails at this point. (I realize that with the current fighter pass, we most likely will not see a new Sonic rep, I'm just rambling)

Edit: Dream team is the original trilogy: Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles all as playable characters. Unlikely since Knuckles is already an assist trophy.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Street Fighter and Castlevania having more fihters than Sonic doesn't mean they are more "deserving".

It just means they have characters that could easily be echoes, that's it.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
The standard rule seems to be third party series get one fighter each with maybe an echo fighter at most, and this seems to apply to Sonic as well despite it being a bit....... friendlier?(I think that's the word I'm looking for) on Nintendo consoles. I mean the dude get's a new Olympic game crossover every couple of years with Mario, does his series really only deserve one spot on the roster? I completely understand that it's Sakurai's rule and we should respect it, but I feel like the series deserves at least one more rep, most likely Tails at this point. (I realize that with the current fighter pass, we most likely will not see a new Sonic rep, I'm just rambling)
Just because it's a trend thus far doesn't mean it's a rule, much less one enforced by Sakurai.

Street Fighter and Castlevania having more fihters than Sonic doesn't mean they are more "deserving".

It just means they have characters that could easily be echoes, that's it.
Shadow could easily be an echo. His only notable differences in fighting style are the use of a gun (one special) and Chaos Control (Final Smash), so Chrom. I would guess the reason this hasn't happened is that... Ryu's still fresher, I suppose? It's been so long since Sonic debuted in Brawl that I don't know how hype an echo would be after all this time. Honestly even Ken's reveal wasn't anything mindblowing.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Shadow could easily be an echo. His only notable differences in fighting style are the use of a gun (one special) and Chaos Control (Final Smash), so Chrom. I would guess the reason this hasn't happened is that... Ryu's still fresher, I suppose? It's been so long since Sonic debuted in Brawl that I don't know how hype an echo would be after all this time. Honestly even Ken's reveal wasn't anything mindblowing.
Actually, I think we could make Shadow's gun a non-special move instead, Just make his special moves except up special identical to Sonic's. And keep Sonic's final smash for Shadow.

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I think we could make Shadow's gun a non-special move instead, Just make his special moves except up special identical to Sonic's. And keep Sonic's final smash for Shadow.
I'm sorry, but why must Shadow use a gun? Sure, he's edgy and he uses a gun in that one game, but I think his most interesting trait is that he can use Chaos powers without the need of all the emeralds. He should be a mix of Sonic and Mewtwo. And if anyone wonders how this may work, Sonic Battle for the GBA has you covered.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but why must Shadow use a gun? Sure, he's edgy and he uses a gun in that one game, but I think his most interesting trait is that he can use Chaos powers without the need of all the emeralds. He should be a mix of Sonic and Mewtwo. And if anyone wonders how this may work, Sonic Battle for the GBA has you covered.
Well I think we could declone him into a semi-clone, and giving Shadow a gun in his moveset would give him a projectile that's not a special move.

candysell

Smash Cadet
If all they are are going to do is spin dash, then none (except for Dr. Robotnik)

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Make Shadow like Bayonetta or Joker and have something like Bullet Arts or some other gun jank, and that's everyone's new main.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
What are "chaos powers?" Vague energy blasts or something? And does he do that in any game that isn't Sonic Battle? The fact that he uses a gun in his very own game that his name is on the title of probably counts for something, particularly in a dry well of unique moveset potential.

If all they are are going to do is spin dash, then none (except for Dr. Robotnik)
The others have kind of drifted from doing that since the Genesis days, and none of them are as well known for it as Sonic, which is why Tails/Knuckles being echoes or semiclones would be odd.

Tails flies, has had a tail spin attack, had a mech walker, and used wacky gadgets in Sonic Battle. Which is really inconsistent and isn't a lot of moveset potential unless they went all into the gadgets thing employed in just that one game. He's really got nothing unique about him outside Battle.

Knuckles has plenty of unique abilities like climbing, gliding, and digging, on top of being a brawler, but like I said, to me having him playable but not Tails would be weird and incomplete.

Shadow's just Sonic with a gun and I guess you could put purple glowy chaos effects on his animations if you wanted to.

Eggman's got dozens of vehicles and gadgets from over the years to draw moves from in his egg carrier. Easily the most potential, I think.

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
What are "chaos powers?" Vague energy blasts or something? And does he do that in any game that isn't Sonic Battle? The fact that he uses a gun in his very own game that his name is on the title of probably counts for something, particularly in a dry well of unique moveset potential.
In Shadow the Hedgehog, Shadow can use two special abilities: Chaos Control and Chaos Blast. The former manipulates time, making Shadow super fast (the effects make it look like The World from Jojo); the latter creates a huge explosion fueled by rage.

In Sonic Battle, I guess Sonic Team was like "just make him a psychic, whatever". He could create small psychic explosions, not too different from the normal PSI attacks that Ness has in Smash. Also, teleportation. (*teleports behind you* to add more edge)

As far as I know Chaos Blast doesn't appear in any game after this one, but Chaos Control stays with him to this day. I mean, one can say the gun is super iconic, sure... but the Shadow assist trophy doesn't pull a Desert Eagle and goes bang bang on everyone.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Well I think we could declone him into a semi-clone, and giving Shadow a gun in his moveset would give him a projectile that's not a special move.
...I think Smash should avoid making any kind of reference to that game if Shadow ever makes it in.

Top Bottom