• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many Sonic playable characters should we have?

How many playable Sonic characters would be the best?

• 1-3

Votes: 57 82.6%
  • 4-6

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • 7-9

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 10+

Votes: 4 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Since Smash 4, I've been wanting more Sonic playable characters despite hating Sonic. In fact, the Sonic franchise seems to be the most iconic third party franchise. in Smash right now. I'm currently looking forward to having more Sonic characters, especially, Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow (not in ultimate though). But I also want Eggman, Amy, Omega, Cream etc.. However, I'm afraid that we might end up having too many Sonic playable characters. On the bright side, I predict that the Sonic franchise will be the thrid party franchise with the most playable characters. Other than Tails as DLC, we're probably not going to have any more Sonic playable characters until Smash 6.

My question to you is what do you think is the best number of playable Sonic characters that's not too many nor too few (and why). Right now we only have 1 which is too few in my opinion.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
We only need three: Sonic, Tails and Eggman. In the case Eggman gets upgraded to a Boss instead, add Knuckles.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It’s fine the way it is. There’s first party characters with no newcomer since forever. Sonic isn’t a priority when we also have Bayonetta and Joker from the Sega department. I think Ken and Richter are exceptions because they are Echoes. Otherwise I wouldn’t expect a secondary third party character from the same franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I feel we will get more Sonic characters in the future, but not sure how many. Problem is many of them are backgrounds or ATs. So Blaze the Cat atm makes the most sense

UserKev

Smash Champion
Really, it should be Sonic and Eggman. Tails is perfect as an assist trophy.

Eggman and Sonic is really it.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Shadow, Silver, Tails & Amy Rose, but Eggman as a AT! of course i want Rouge and Blaze as playable fighters as well..but i think that would be to much x.x
so in total 5 playable characters!

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Shadow, Silver, Tails & Amy Rose, but Eggman as a AT! of course i want Rouge and Blaze as playable fighters as well..but i think that would be to much x.x
so in total 5 playable characters!
I think 10 would be the best, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Eggman, Omega, Amy, Cream, Big, Rouge.
Really, it should be Sonic and Eggman. Tails is perfect as an assist trophy.

Eggman and Sonic is really it.
Nah, Tails merits to be playable, if we want all of those characters above, make Sally the assist trophy instead of Tails. I never want Sally to be playable.

I feel we will get more Sonic characters in the future, but not sure how many. Problem is many of them are backgrounds or ATs. So Blaze the Cat atm makes the most sense
Background elements, and spirits don't deconfirm, as such, Pikachu has a non-fighter spirit.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I think 10 would be the best, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Eggman, Omega, Amy, Cream, Big, Rouge.
I highly advise you lower the reps count for Sonic if you want this topic to be taken seriously my dude.

Honestly, after Eggman, Tails, Knuckles and Shadow, most other Sonic characters feel pointless. Smash would NOT change this in the slightest.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
How about none?

What do you mean that’s not an option?

All right, then just one. Sonic is fine, and Shadow and Knuckles (& Knuckles) are perfect as Assist Trophies. Eggman would make a nice boss, though.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
We shouldn't be speculating on these topics without addressing that it's easier to categorize third~party newcomers by company as opposed to franchise.

Getting a character from another company involves a good deal of legal hoops, so if we measure these additions as Sega Characters rather than Sonic Characters helps avoid a bloated roster and invites more diversification in the roster.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think Sonic characters aren't being prioritised until a few more Sega characters become playable (so it can be Sonic & Sega All-Stars: Championship Vipers Edition :p ), assuming they can get around to traditional Sega properties. Axel Stone at the very least can become a shoo-in thanks to Streets of Rage 4, not to mention increasing demand for Arle and Kazuma Kiryu. Assuming only one or two are added per game (and if Knuckles and Shadow aren't consigned to AT status), it'll take a while at this rate.

That being said, I think at least 6 or 7 would be fine enough, depending on whether or not Eggman can successfully fit in.

In regards to the ones I want, I really want Tails, Amy, Blaze and Eggman, that's it.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
10? Are you crazy? Just having two non-echoes would be a first for a third party, and the only reason Sonic can be argued for that much is because of the long-existing rivalry between he and the headliner of this franchise, Mario. Three would be too many--once Sonic gets two, it wouldn't be fair to other third parties to add more.

On who it should be, Tails isn't canonically much of a fighter and the sort of things he does changes dramatically from game to game. He's got the second most history, but his style is just too inconsistent for a solid fighter character. Having Knuckles without Tails would just feel weird and wrong, and Shadow would just play too similarly to Sonic (yes, even if he had guns).

I think the only viable options are Tails, Shadow, or Eggman, and my vote goes to Eggman. Aside from my penchant for playable villains, he's got the next most history after Sonic and a consistent basis for a moveset as a machinist. He'd almost certainly share some traits with Bowser Jr., but with some creativity the two could be as different as Mario and DK are despite both being melee fistfighters.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
How about none?

What do you mean that’s not an option?

All right, then just one. Sonic is fine, and Shadow and Knuckles (& Knuckles) are perfect as Assist Trophies. Eggman would make a nice boss, though.
I think having Shadow and Knuckles as assist trophies are silly in my opinion. Both of them should be playable along with Eggman and Tails.

i believe Tails and/or Eggman would be good enough inclusions for the next sonic character(s)
You're correct! We also need better assist trophies for the Sonic franchise.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Tails should be playable. Eggman I would be okay with.

That's it. Just those two, the main hero, the sidekick, and the main villain.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Yeah 10 would be completely excessive
Having said that, wouldn't be averse to maybe one or two more - I know 3rd party franchises have only been 1 original character + echo so far, but honestly wouldn't mind Sonic breaking that with having a new fighter or even a new fighter plus an echo
Sonic/Tails/Knuckles/Eggman - one of those combinations or something would be cool

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
In my Super Smash Bros. Eternity, Sonic gets 4 newcomers and a echo:
-Sonic returns
-Tails (Newcomer)
-Knuckles (Assist Trophy to Fighter)
-Eggman (Newcomer)
-G.U.N Truck (Newcomer)
-Mecha Sonic (Echo)

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Since Smash 4, I've been wanting more Sonic playable characters despite hating Sonic.
Your name and profile picture are literal Sonic OCs yet you claim to hate Sonic? You're weird, man.

Anyway, if the limit for characters is just one full character and one echo, I think that for now, it's best for Sonic to follow that limit. Keyword "for now", since the limits for 3rd party franchises constantly changes.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I think having Shadow and Knuckles as assist trophies are silly in my opinion. Both of them should be playable along with Eggman and Tails.
We do not need five Sonic characters. There are actual Nintendo franchises that don’t have that many reps. I think you want is a Sonic fighting game, and while that could be a cool idea, Smash is not that.

D

Deleted member

I don’t have a specific limit.

I would just let Sakurai add as many Sonic reps as he would want.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I’d be willing to let Tails in since he’s an essential part of early Sonic and I’d also be willing to allow Shadow as a Chrom level echo. That’s the absolute most Sonic I want in Smash though. Honestly, Sonic himself seems like plenty, especially when he comes with two stages which is more than any other third party. I don’t have a ton of love for the franchise, but I acknowledge it’s former importance. I mostly just would allow them in to make other people happy, but I’d rather see new third parties in general and not more from the same franchise.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'd be pretty ecstatic with just Tails and either Knuckles or Eggman honestly. Eggman could easily be a boss though and Knux I'm okay with as an AT...definitely shouldn't be before Tails but I'd be happy to see him playable.

Shadow can come too for the fans of the more modern Sonic games. I'm not a fan of his, but I can't deny his popularity.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
You know, for all this talk about Sonic getting more characters, I feel that it was rather questionable that Castlevania got a second rep (albeit echo) before Sonic did.

That said, again, I'd like the second Sonic rep to be an echo also, for now.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
In my Super Smash Bros. Eternity, Sonic gets 3 newcomers and a echo:
-Sonic returns
-Tails (Newcomer)
-Knuckles (Assist Trophy to Fighter)
-Eggman (Newcomer)
-Metal Sonic (Echo, design from Sonic 3)
That's actually Mecha Sonic you're thinking of, they are two different characters.

Btw, I think Sonic alone is fine but I would be cool with Tails or Knuckles being included.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
You know, for all this talk about Sonic getting more characters, I feel that it was rather questionable that Castlevania got a second rep (albeit echo) before Sonic did.

That said, again, I'd like the second Sonic rep to be an echo also, for now.
I questioned about that too. Why would a less iconic third party character/his/her franchise get a second rep before Sonic. Since Sonic's franchise is the most iconic third party franchise, it generally wouldn't make sense.

Anyway, if the limit for characters is just one full character and one echo, I think that for now, it's best for Sonic to follow that limit. Keyword "for now", since the limits for 3rd party franchises constantly changes.
Actually there are no limits for 3rd party playable characters, except for not having too many. So I would just have Sonic, Tails (Pseudo-Clone of Sonic), Knuckles (Also a pseudo-clone of Sonic), Shadow (Semi-clone or echo of Sonic), Eggman. On the other hand I would replace Knuckles as an assist trophy by making Sally an assist.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Ok, so this topic's logic in a nutshell:

-"I want more Sonic characters despite hating Sonic." (nevermind the Sonic-inspired username and avatar)

-"I don't want that many Sonic characters."

-"I don't want that few Sonic characters."

-"I think 10 would be best!"

Do you ever read what you write?

(Sorry guys, couldn't resist)

And Richter being a character can be easily explained by Konami pushing for him to be playable in Smash. It gives their franchise more exposure and Lord knows they need as much goodwill as they can.
Sega might have just been fine with Sonic being playable with his friends being assists and cameos.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
And Richter being a character can be easily explained by Konami pushing for him to be playable in Smash. It gives their franchise more exposure and Lord knows they need as much goodwill as they can.
Sega might have just been fine with Sonic being playable with his friends being assists and cameos.
Having another less iconic 3rd party 2nd rep, without Tails in my opinion, isn't a particulary great idea.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Having another less iconic 3rd party 2nd rep, without Tails in my opinion, isn't a particulary great idea.
Why should how much content Sonic has affect the other third party franchises? Castlevania is obviously easier to get content for, let its fans have Richter. Not putting him into the game wasn't going to score you Tails, especially considering Tails couldn't be a 1-1 clone.

It's a video game for ****'s sake, not a **** measuring contest.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I questioned about that too. Why would a less iconic third party character/his/her franchise get a second rep before Sonic. Since Sonic's franchise is the most iconic third party franchise, it generally wouldn't make sense.

Actually there are no limits for 3rd party playable characters, except for not having too many. So I would just have Sonic, Tails (Pseudo-Clone of Sonic), Knuckles (Also a pseudo-clone of Sonic), Shadow (Semi-clone or echo of Sonic), Eggman. On the other hand I would replace Knuckles as an assist trophy by making Sally an assist.
Sally is not part of the games, she only part of the Archie comics which are not canon.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Why should how much content Sonic has affect the other third party franchises? Castlevania is obviously easier to get content for, let its fans have Richter. Not putting him into the game wasn't going to score you Tails, especially considering Tails couldn't be a 1-1 clone.
I know that Tails would be a pseudo-clone of Sonic. but I mean that having both Tails and Richter is okay, but having only Richter without Tails is a bad idea in my opinion.

Sally is not part of the games, she only part of the Archie comics which are not canon.
The reason why Sally would be an assist trophy when Knuckles and/or Shadow get promoted to playable in Smash 6 is because she would be a better assist trophy than Knuckles or Shadow due to the fact that she shouldn't be playable, but still be included in the game.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know that Tails would be a pseudo-clone of Sonic. but I mean that having both Tails and Richter is okay, but having only Richter without Tails is a bad idea in my opinion.

The reason why Sally would be an assist trophy when Knuckles and/or Shadow get promoted to playable in Smash 6 is because she would be a better assist trophy than Knuckles or Shadow due to the fact that she shouldn't be playable, but still be included in the game.
You need reading comprehension. Richter's inclusion has nothing to do with Tails. Sakurai doesn't have to make sure Sonic gets a second character before adding echoes.

Also, Sally is a comic book character, she can't be an Assist Trophy. All Assist Trophies we have originate from video games or apps for consoles. There are a lot of canon Sonic characters that can be included as items before Ken Perders' s generic furry bait gets in.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
So.... she would be a good assist trophy because she's an assist trophy that is not playable (???), and doesn't belong in the game but it's there anyway?

I hope this is a language barrier situation, and not an actual argument.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
Tails could make a very interesting playable character. Knuckles as a Sonic echo would also be just fine.

Top Bottom