• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many people would have wanted Tom Nook in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Back at the Nsider Forums before they closed, there was a huge controversy (really) about Tom Nook. Half of the users there desperately wanted him in while the other half hated his guts.

I held the latter opinion, not that it really matters anymore. What I'm asking you all is would you have wanted Tom Nook in Brawl?

Ramgigon

Smash Journeyman
This is where I put whether or not I like Brawl
Yeah, I wanted him. Unlike what many say, there are lots of things for his moveset. Slingshots, balls, axes, shovels, pitfalls...

What's more, I loved Animal Crossing. And who is closer to a main character, since the actual player appearance is never the same?

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
I am sorta divided because I don't know if Tom Nook would be a good character because he isn't really a figher, but then again some of these characters in Brawls are not good fighters on foot (Fox) or not fighters at all (Peach) yet they still got in.

I thought Tom Nook might be good because he is a non-human animal character and we need more of those because most of the suggestions people wanted were human-like characters (Micaiah, Mona, Claus, Isaac, Takamaru, Mii, Alexandra, Black Knight etc).

So I don't know, he has both +1 and -1 good points for him though.

Clear171

Smash Cadet
i want him in, more characters means more fun.
he would probably have a funny move set too.
although i would like mr. rosetti more; people abhor him and he's armed with a pick.
i like weird cahracters.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Nowadays, I don't think anyone is still opposed to having certain characters already in Brawl's current roster. It seems like any unique newcomer would have been welcomed with open arms. Meh, that's why I thought all the character argument back in the day was dumb, any character could have ended up being fun/great.

As for Tom Nook, I never really considered him. R.I.P. Krystal.

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
At first, I completely shunned the idea of Tom Nook being in. Then I saw some of the characters and their abilities (Banana peels) and then started to realize that he had potential. I've even made up a moveset for him.

Jab combo: Two quick, separate punches
Ftilt: A quick kick forward
Utilt: Upward punch with both arms
Dtilt: Sweeping kick very capable of tripping

Fsmash: Swings axe in front of him. Fast with major knockback.
Usmash: Headbutt
Dsmash: Attacks in front of him with his shovel by driving it into the ground. If it misses, it can pick and throw dirt behind him and the dirt can damage opponents behind him.

Nair: Aerial kartwheel, similar to Diddy Kong's.
Fair: Swings his ned in a vertical arc in front of him.
Bair: Swings his net it a horizontal arc behind him
Uair: Swings his net straight upward.
Dair: Swings his net in a horizontal arc.below him. The center if the attack is a meteor smash. The sides of the attacks send the opponent at a very low horizontal knockback.

B: Uses his slingshot as a projectile. Holding the slingshot longer increases its speed, power, and the amount of rocks that are shot ranging from one rock to three rocks.

Forward B: Throws a bag of bells as a projectile ranging from a bad of 1,000 bells to 99,000 bells depending on how long you charge it.

Up B: Uses balloons as recovery. Can attack right out of it but can't use balloons again if popped, making it gimpable as a recovery. Can be controlled while using balloons.

Down B: Pulls out a random item from the ACWW game. This could include furniture as leafs, which can be thrown, fruit, which can be eaten, trash, which can be thrown, or pitfalls.

Grab: Uses fishing rod to catch opponents. Very long range but laggy. Unique because it has two different sets of grabs. Press A for Tom Nook to reel in opponents for pummels and different throws. Fishing rod can be used for tether recovery, and can be used in case of emergency if Tom's balloons are popped.

Fthrow (1): While hooked on the rod, Tom Nook swings the opponent around him in a circle and then throws him forward.
Bthrow (1): While hooked on the rod, Tom Nook swings the opponent above his body and throws the opponent behind him.
Uthrow (1): While hooked on the rod, Tom Nook jerks the rod upward throwing the opponent into the air.
Dthrow (1): While hooked on the rod, Tom Nook pulls the opponent toward him, then slams the opponent into the ground.

Pummel: Tom Nook must reel in the opponent before pummeling. His pummel is a simple punch.

Fthrow (2): Tom Nook throws the foe forward.
Bthrow (2): Tom Nook throws the foe behind him and kicks him away.
Uthrow (2): Tom Nook throws the opponent above him and heabutts him.
Dthrow (2): Tom Nook throws the opponent into the ground.

On screen appearance: Comes out of a hole in the ground with the help of Resetti

Up taunt: Pulls out a bag of bells, holds it up, then puts it away.
Side taunt: Performs the animation from the game when a bug or fish is caught.
Down taunt: Speaks in animalese, but no subtitles are shown, so it sounds like he's mumbling gibberish.

Tom would be a medium-light character with slow falling speed.

Like my moveset idea?

Brandon72196

Smash Apprentice
At first, I completely shunned the idea of Tom Nook being in. Then I saw some of the characters and their abilities (Banana peels) and then started to realize that he had potential. I've even made up a moveset for him.

Dsmash: Attacks in front of him with his shovel by driving it into the ground. If it misses, it can pick and throw dirt behind him and the dirt can damage opponents behind him.

Dair: Swings his net in a horizontal arc.below him. The center if the attack is a meteor smash. The sides of the attacks send the opponent at a very low horizontal knockback.

B: Uses his slingshot as a projectile. Holding the slingshot longer increases its speed, power, and the amount of rocks that are shot ranging from one rock to three rocks.

Forward B: Throws a bag of bells as a projectile ranging from a bad of 1,000 bells to 99,000 bells depending on how long you charge it.

Up B: Uses balloons as recovery. Can attack right out of it but can't use balloons again if popped, making it gimpable as a recovery. Can be controlled while using balloons.

Down B: Pulls out a random item from the ACWW game. This could include furniture as leafs, which can be thrown, fruit, which can be eaten, trash, which can be thrown, or pitfalls.

Grab: Uses fishing rod to catch opponents. Very long range but laggy. Unique because it has two different sets of grabs. Press A for Tom Nook to reel in opponents for pummels and different throws. Fishing rod can be used for tether recovery, and can be used in case of emergency if Tom's balloons are popped.

Fthrow (1): While hooked on the rod, Tom Nook swings the opponent around him in a circle and then throws him forward.
Bthrow (1): While hooked on the rod, Tom Nook swings the opponent above his body and throws the opponent behind him.
Uthrow (1): While hooked on the rod, Tom Nook jerks the rod upward throwing the opponent into the air.
Dthrow (1): While hooked on the rod, Tom Nook pulls the opponent toward him, then slams the opponent into the ground.

Pummel: Tom Nook must reel in the opponent before pummeling. His pummel is a simple punch.

On screen appearance: Comes out of a hole in the ground with the help of Resetti

Down taunt: Speaks in animalese, but no subtitles are shown, so it sounds like he's mumbling gibberish.

Like my moveset idea?
Thats a cool moveset, but make a less gimpable recovery and your missing a final smash.

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
Thats a cool moveset, but make a less gimpable recovery and your missing a final smash.
Every character has their flaws. For Tom, it'd be a gimpable recovery. However, my Tom Nook would be able to tether in the case of his balloons being popped as long as his tether is in range.

As for a Final Smash, I'm thinking something along the lines of Tom Nook raising a mansion from the ground he stands on that knocks opponents skyward. (Much like that green haired guy as the Assist Trophy who's name slips my mind, but much more powerful. Also similar to Ice Climber's Final Smash, but smaller.)

Ilex

Smash Ace

Like my moveset idea?
I like this moveset, but there are a few things that don't really make sense.

When you look at current Dsmashes, they usually hit both sides of the user at once. Maybe he slams his shovel into the ground, uplifting the ground on both sides of him? Also, his Bforward is too much like his regular B. Most BForwards are either high damage forward attacks or horizontal recovery attacks. His is just another projectile. Even Toon/Link and King Dedede's forward B, although they are projectiles, differ from their NeutralB by a lot. I like his downB though. I'm guessing his UpB is like Snake's, only with balloons instead of the robotic thing?

Just an idea, but his Final Smash could be items raining down from the roof, doing about 7% damage each. Like Waddle Dee army but there's more of them and they inflict less damage each.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
TOM SHULD BE IN CAUSE HE SELLS THINGS AND THAT MEANS HE FIGHTS GOOD

Sakurai said he wasn't going to put an animal crossing character in because they simply wouldn't fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom