• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many of you Lucas mains have actually played Mother 3?

How many of you Lucas mains have actuallyl played Mother 3?

• I have!

• No...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
Once Brawl came out, I was really interested in Lucas as a character. He's a cool little kid with PSI, what's not to love? So after doing some research, I decided to see what all the hubbub was about with Mother 3.

Really glad I've played it. Since then, any time people ask me my favorite game, it's Mother 3, hands down. I've played it 3 times. I listen to the soundtrack (I love VGM, I can't stop), so of course I payed for him in Sm4sh.

How many of you have played his game? What did you think? What's your favorite part? Is it important to play the game of your character? Discuss!

There's also a similar post that I created on the Ness boards.

Muddyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
theflyingmud
3DS FC
4656-7708-6477
One of my favorite Nintendo Protagonists ever. Such a deep story, creative enemies and likable characters, something i couldn't say about Earthbound since all the main characters were kinda just...there. Lucas's growth throughout the game was some of the best pacing i've ever come across, plus it's sweet that he was never really the primary damage dealer in your party mostly relying on his friends help to handily defeat enemies but eventually...well i don't wanna spoil for anyone who hasn't beaten the game. Plus the villains.

God this game, brb gonna go play it now.

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
One of my favorite Nintendo Protagonists ever. Such a deep story, creative enemies and likable characters, something i couldn't say about Earthbound since all the main characters were kinda just...there. Lucas's growth throughout the game was some of the best pacing i've ever come across, plus it's sweet that he was never really the primary damage dealer in your party mostly relying on his friends help to handily defeat enemies but eventually...well i don't wanna spoil for anyone who hasn't beaten the game. Plus the villains.

God this game, brb gonna go play it now.
Lol, good luck. Honestly, I think that the soundtrack really pulls this game together. Awesome story, awesome characters, awesome music. I don't really have a favorite one. I'll make a playlist or something later.

meetbun

Smash Cadet
NNID
meetbun
My friend actually introduced me to the Mother series right around when I first started getting into smash.
Though I love both Earthbound and Mother 3, I did enjoy EB a bit more. And the music!.. I love it all and
Mom's Hometown is hands down my favorite. Both are amazing games and Lucas and Ness have quickly
become my favorite Nintendo characters! Still need to finish the first Mother though.

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
My friend actually introduced me to the Mother series right around when I first started getting into smash.
Though I love both Earthbound and Mother 3, I did enjoy EB a bit more. And the music!.. I love it all and
Mom's Hometown is hands down my favorite. Both are amazing games and Lucas and Ness have quickly
become my favorite Nintendo characters! Still need to finish the first Mother though.
There's so many, but they're all so good.
Let me see.
Mom's Hometown
Alex's Log Cabin
Phantasmagoric
It's Over
Memory of Life
Curtain Call
16 Melodies
Log-O-Type
All DCMC songs (Bon Voyage Amigo, Theme of DCMC, King P's Theme, Samba De Combo)
Sad Pigmask Theme (Unused)
The green train's fun too (Unused version)
All the secret jukebox songs (White, Adolescence, Resolve, Fairies, Blessing)
Love Theme
Confusion
Family Matters, 2nd movement
Ragtime Oshoe
Unfounded Revenge
Open Sesame Oil/Tofu
Monkey's Delivery Service
Peddlers Grand Speech
A Railway in our village
Sunflowers and Illusions
Name These Children
Mother?!
She was like a sunflower
Snowman
His highnesses theme
smashing song of praise
Saturn z theme
Burst in Rock and roll
Natural Killer Cyborg Theme
A certain Someones memories
Life's an inner turn radius
Leder's Gymnophide

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I'm currently playing mother 3 on my laptop and im up to chapter 5. I had the game on my phone but my little bro accidentally deleted it, so i lost all my progress. That was a big damper and I didn't play it for a long time. But I redownloaded it recently and am already to chapter 5 (the chapter i was on when it got deleted.) The emotion is strong in this game and it is always amazing to see a game that nails that on the head.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
My favorite game of all time—and the origin of my username. :love:

7up1001

Smash Rookie
NNID
Seth7up
I made sure that I'd finish Mother 3 before Lucas came out as DLC. It made me love Lucas even more.

EmpireCrusher203

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-7161-9170
One of friends had Ness as a main. Wondering who the heck was Ness and his franchise caused me to lurk deeper into the Earthbound lore. I tried out Earthbound, didn't like it. Upcoming news of Lucas caused me to be excited for no apparent reason, even if I didn't have the game at the time. He looked like a colorful version of Ness which a much better move set. I was reluctant to try out Mother 3, after my experience with Earthbound, but I forced myself to. I logic was you can't play a character in Smash until you've played their game. So, I started with Mother 3. I had to use the English fan translation, unfortunately, but the game was amazing. It's not Nintendo's best game, but should be noticed. Also, I'm a firm believer that Mother 1 and 3 are better than Earthbound. Take that internet!

Also, when I go to bed, I listen to the Love theme to fall asleep. Pretty weird, but insomnia is real pain.

Last edited:

that_rock

Smash Rookie
It's definitely my favorite game. Needs to be noticed more, especially with the Undertale hype, about how touching that was.
I'll agree with the touching part, but Mother 3 is the only game that made my cry.

Except when I miss a bair spike.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
wow, it's amazing to see that many people who have played mother 3 also consider it to be their favorite game.

But who am I to tell you that, because I feel no different :D

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
MOTHER 3 is easily my favourite game of all time! And Lucas is my precious child who I will protect at all costs.

PKSeedFlare

Smash Rookie
"Everyone is waiting for you Lucas. Everyone is waiting to throw rocks at you, spit in your eyes and make your life a living hell.Who is everyone you ask? Everyone you love."

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
I don't main Lucas but he's my secondary and I still love him and Mother 3. It's one of those few games that can make me cry.

ilysm

sleepy
This may be a tad melodramatic, but true nonetheless; MOTHER 3 actually changed my life and me as a person and holds a special place in my heart to this very day. It also gets bonus points for being the only piece of art (book, movie, video game, what have you) to ever make me cry actual tears, just because I'm really usually not that kind of person. But yeah, I highly recommend it to pretty much everyone! The game is very important to me.

High Entia

Smash Rookie
I love MOTHER 3. EarthBound may be my favorite game in the series (and favorite game of all time for that matter), but MOTHER 3 is still one of my favorite games of all time and Lucas is not only my favorite MOTHER protagonist, but one of my favorite characters in gaming period. This game is simply beautiful and I loved the world and it's characters. Each of them were unique and left a lasting impact on me as a player. The silly MOTHER charm was there throughout the entire game (ex. talking to frogs to save, the Wess Dance, etc.). Yet, despite the game being so goofy and silly at times, the darkness and sadness of it fascinates me. I could go on and on about all of the messages and symbolism that this game has inside of it that relate to the real world and our human nature. Also, I have to say, I have been experienced many, many pieces of heart-wrenching media over the years and, out of all of them, MOTHER 3's final fight against the Masked Man remains not only the saddest moment in media that I have ever experienced, but it is also the only moment in a piece of media that has managed to make me legitimately cry. This game will always be special to me and you should definitely play this game if you haven't already and learn what all of the fuss is about.

Also, I don't know if anyone else thinks like this but, when Rope Snake manages to get me back to the stage in order to narrowly avoid being edgeguarded, I always think about how he isn't a failure, no matter what he thinks!

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
I had played Mother, EarthBound and Mother 3 before I ever played Brawl, and Shigestao Itoi is my main inspiration as a game designer, so picking Lucas as a main was easy.

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
I always make a point of playing a character's game before picking them up in Smash, so when Lucas was announced for Smash 4, I decided to take a look at Mother 3.

Mother is my favorite 2D video game series now. The humor, pacing, and melancholic tone Mother 3 had really appealed to me, and Lucas' characterization put him on my list of favorite video game protagonists. The game also had a plethora of endearing quotes, particularly, "No one is simply born 'strong'."

That, and it lead me to purchasing Undertale, which owes a lot to Mother 3 but is easily one of my favorite games of all time. Thank you, Mother 3.

Last edited:

AJb1205

Smash Cadet
NNID
AJb1205
Mother 3 is my favorite mother game, I have played mother 2/earthbound on my wii U and I am playing the original mother right now.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
MOTHER 3 is by far my favorite game of all time, for several reasons.

While Lucas is my favorite character on the roster, he's unfortunately not my favorite to play as. I feel more comfortable with heavy characters.

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
I'm still convincing a friend of mine that mains Lucas to play it.

Maybe it's just me but it feels like a must to connect with the character, Mother 3 has so much emotion put into it.~

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I played Mother 3 before the fan translation even came out. I was touched even though I couldn't understand a word. Damn right it made me main Lucas in Brawl, and even though I have MegaMan now, Lucas is so hardcore my secondary that he might as well also be my main. If you don't understand Lucas' personality in Mother 3, you'll never understand how to play him to his fullest in Smash.

Mother 3 is art. Easily one of the greatest games ever made, and my personal favorite game eight years in a row. I've played it from beginning to end five times and not a single playthrough goes by without me finding something new. The Mother franchise is also my biggest inspiration as a game designer/story writer.

And no, this:
This may be a tad melodramatic, but true nonetheless; MOTHER 3 actually changed my life and me as a person
is not melodramatic, I came out of Mother 3 a completely different person as well.

Rochefortt

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rochefortt264
I remember the day I started to really like Lucas the day he came out as DLC and I was wondering why I never really looked into him. One fan translated playthrough of Mother 3 later and I was crying so badly for him, for someone I knew literally nothing about. Any Lucas mains out there who are even a little curious of who Lucas is and what he stands for, please don't hesitate.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I played Ness in 64 but only actually tried Earthbound during Brawl period. I really wanted to play Mother 3 because of how amazing the stuff I'd heard about it was, and finally did about a year ago. The game toppled over Terranigma as my favourite game of all time, with its deep symbolism, gorgeous character and story design and kooky-but-clever poke at RPG stereo-types and all sorts of jokes and tropes. It's an utterly beautiful piece of art and I'll never forget it, ever. Lucas and Ness have been co-mains for me since Brawl and I've found nothing but more love for them after playing their games. I'm even about to get the 'Team PK Fire' shirt with them which I'll obviously be wearing everywhere ever.

Also one of my biggest inspirations for doing game design at university and as a career choice. I want to make the next Mother / Undertale someday. ;)

lui3k

Smash Cadet
Ashamed to say I have never, Partially because I couldn't find it, I do have it now ready to play but it's a fan translation I don't know how else to get it

EmpireCrusher203

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-7161-9170
Don't worry! Rumors have been spread recently of an April 20 AMERICAN release for Wii U virtual console! Yet again, this is like the 7th rumor of Mother 3's American release. However with the game's 10th anniversary coming up, what better surprise than to shock the West with Mother 3. Although I don't have a Wii U, I'll rest in peace knowing at least it was actually brought to the U.S..

P.S. I've played Mother 3 (and Mother 1) through an English patch. Not half bad playing it on your phone.

that_rock

Smash Rookie
Don't worry! Rumors have been spread recently of an April 20 AMERICAN release for Wii U virtual console! Yet again, this is like the 7th rumor of Mother 3's American release. However with the game's 10th anniversary coming up, what better surprise than to shock the West with Mother 3. Although I don't have a Wii U, I'll rest in peace knowing at least it was actually brought to the U.S..

P.S. I've played Mother 3 (and Mother 1) through an English patch. Not half bad playing it on your phone.
But you don't get the full enjoyment when you just turn it on and off, gotta have time to play it lol :S. Best game ever.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I had played through like 2 hours of it but then I changed phones so I don't have the data from my emulator anymore. I really want to play the full game but I just don't find emulators as engaging as having them in real life because I always get sidetracked on the internet. Anyways, I liked Lucas way before I even knew what Mother 3 was back in Brawl days so it just carried over to here.

Zeckemyro

Smash Rookie
NNID
zeckemyro
3DS FC
1693-1481-3092
Mother 3 is definitely one of my favourite games of all time

lui3k

Smash Cadet
So does anybody have an English translated ROM they would be willing to swing my way because mine is in Japanese...

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
Or by purchasing a copy of the translated ROM that's been put on a blank GBA cartridge with a custom "Fan Translation" label.

lui3k

Smash Cadet

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
This is kind of blasphemous for me to say, but quite honestly I hated everything about Mother 3 except for the story/characters/humor. The actual gameplay was gruelling for me to endure. I hated how grinding worked, and just how much you had to grind to beat anything boss-wise. I had to stop at the buff mannequin trio thing cause I just couldn't beat them and it was really annoying me. I kind of like to see how much health my opponent has in RPGs, and navigating the UI to find just the right item I needed whilst trying not to die in the heat of battle was really infuriating. Like, I didn't like how a character's health slowly dropped, because I could never tell who was going to die and who wasn't and who needed what item on top of feeling like every time I opened up the inventory I was sifting through a horridly unorganized toy box and I had no idea where anything was and couldn't remember who I made hold what and if I was even on the right character for the specific healing item I was looking for.

... That said, I do really like the story and characters and humor enough to where the game was mildly enjoyable as a whole. I'm the kind of person who separates the good and the bad and looks at them independently instead of allowing the bad to completely ruin the good.

Personally, my top 3 favorite games are Metroid Prime, Cave Story, and... I dunno Bravely Default or Titanfall or Yoshi's Island. :U

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
1) You never need to grind in Mother 3; you can beat everything with good combos, item management and use of everyone's available abilities.

2) The screen shakes considerably and a distinct sound plays when a character has taken mortal damage. Also the game literally tells you when a character has taken mortal damage.

3) Boney always moves first, unless he's full up on items there's never a reason to not give him a healthy supply of healing and damaging items.

It seems weird that you wouldn't have picked up on everything by that far in the game.

MrStardustRicon

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrStardustRicon
Buffs and Shields make most encounters in Mother 3 pretty easy, in my 3 playthroughs I don't recall ever grinding. Even when a "hard" boss came around every once and a while and I died on my first attempt it was usually just poor strategy on my end, and something that I could fix on my second try. Boney is your pack mule for a reason, cherish that dog... just don't give him absolutely everything.

Last edited:

lui3k

Smash Cadet
I literally made this custom GameBoy with the backlit screen just to play this and I'm finally getting through it now I'm in chapter 4

Attachments

Top Bottom