• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many mains and secondaries should I have?

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
If the criteria is just winning as much as possible... the boring response is to pick one of the top tier characters and main them alone. Pika or Joker

the better answer IMO is to have fun with the whole roster. This still means picking one to play exclusively for a little while.. maybe a few weeks.. to get good. If you constantly switch characters it’s hard to be good with any

I personally find it fun to have a main and two secondaries

Glitch_Wiz

Smash Cadet
The way I see it is this: For mains, typically just one character will be fine. Although if it's absolutely necessary to have more, two characters should be the max in my opinion. For secondaries, I'd say a good amount is 2-4 characters. As for pocket characters, I feel like it's the same limit at having a main, since you would want to be keeping them a secret until you're backed against the corner in matches.

GhostM

Phantom
It really depends on how determined you are to play a character. Most people would go with one main, but Ultimate offers so many different characters that have their own unique kits that can also appeal to you, so having multiple mains isn’t a bad idea. It’s usually just safe around 1-3 mains, although having more would mean that you would have to put the same amount of effort of practicing with each of your mains, which can be difficult to do. If you are diligent enough, you could possibly main more than three characters without issues, although try not to go overboard.

Last edited:

Spiny Top

Smash Cadet
I didn’t know you could have more than one main. Isn’t your “main” your first and foremost character above all? There can only be one.

Top Bottom