• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many characters will be in Smash 5

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
Usually, Smash rosters increase from 12 to 15 more characters per game at launch. Since Sakuri has worked on this game 3 years once it comes out, we can expect the normal increase. So that means we could expect a roster between 70 to 73 characters,not including miis. But, Nintendo has been pushing DLC a lot lately, so we might see some more characters. Most likely bringing it up to 80 it the most logically ideal situation. My main question here is, how many characters do you think will make the cut?

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
I think between 50 and 60. Probably there will be many cuts to get +10 newcomers

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
I think not so many cuts but also not many newcomers, like less than 10 at launch, plus the return of Wolf and Ice Climbers.

ThatSmashFan101

Smash Rookie
I think there will be at least 60 characters on the roster. No doubt there is going to be DLC.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I think we may get a few cuts here and there (maybe Lucina, Dark Pit, Cloud perhaps), but maybe 5-10 newcomers (which includes Wolf and Ice Climbers).

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
I see cuts in Smash 5, especially the clones such Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario. I could see an increase of characters but there is also the possibility for reducing the characters. 50-80 characters will be a good range.

Also the Original 12, they should never be removed. They've been their for soo long, it is ridiculous.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I see 60 characters max.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
At least 50 characters.

Brawl started with 4 veterans and 5 newcomers. We ended up with 39 characters.
:mario2::link2::pikachu2::kirby2::metaknight::pit::zerosuitsamus::wario::snake:

SSB4 started with 9 veterans and 1 newcomer. We ended up with 51 characters in the base game and 58 characters after DLC.
:4mario::4link::4samus::4kirby::4fox::4pit::4dk::4pikachu::4bowser::4villager:

SSB5 started with 2 veterans and 1 newcomer and an unknown number of veterans in the silhouettes. We could get way more than 50 characters.
:4mario::4link::substitute:
:4bowser::4falcon::4dk::4fox::4kirby::4luigi::4marth::4ness::4peach::4pikachu::4pit::4samus::4sheik::4wario::4yoshi::4zelda: (these are my guesses)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is probably a tricky question to answer, but probably around 60 characters (excluding the Mii fighters).

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Yeah, I'm going to try to be realistic and say 60 characters, maybe 65. There will probably be a few cuts, but I can't see upwards to 70+ characters that people are hoping.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm guessing somewhere around 70-75 characters.

60 seems fairly low, considering that Smash 4 had 58. Even if the Mii fighters were cut (or combined into one character), and the clone trio was removed (which wouldn't add much in the way of development time, so their removal wouldn't mean that more characters could be added), there would still have to be quite a few unique characters removed in order to get a decent amount of newcomers.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
This is something I feel quite conflicted about.....on one hand I don't expect there to be any cuts (outside of third parties at least) if this game is based on the engine for the previous game. Sakurai has said in the past that he doesn't like cutting characters....and if this game is built off of the previous game then I don't see why there would be a reason for a character to get cut.

Cuts only really make sense (to me) if the game is being built from the ground up.

At my most pessimistic I'm expecting about 5 or 6 new characters. (for a roster of 63-64) Though that isn't taking the possibility of dlc into consideration so even then it might end up at around 68-70 with dlc.

At my most optimistic I would say around 75 in total (including dlc characters)

I mean if anyone can go above and beyond our expectations, it's Sakurai. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Less than 72. Otherwise it would feel too full. This gives them room for 14 newcomers which is more than enough..

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not going to lie, last time, I figured the roster would be expanded reasonably despite Sakurai telling us we are near the limit; however, this time around, given the context around release, I would not be surprised if we more or less "stay in place." They might cut characters for other characters. What immediately comes to mind is perhaps Shulk for a new Xenoblade character, Robin or Kamui for the newest Fire Emblem protagonist. It might go up a bit as he is more or less opposed to cutting characters. 55 seems logical enough. Sort of in-between the worst and best case scenario. At least that is what I believe at the moment, once we get more information, I will likely change my opinion.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
If it's a completely new game, I can see the base game having a number of characters roughly equal to the number in smash 4 (including smash 4's DLC). If it's a deluxe-port or works on the same engine, then I can imagine around 10-15 characters added.

mjwgamer805

Smash Rookie
I would guess around 60-65 total once all the dlc is out.

I don't think they will continue to increase the roster number by much because it just seems unrealistic to have a well done in depth game with so much detail AND also expect to have 80+ characters.
I would MUCH prefer quality over quantity- especially seeing that each installment inevitably has some dittos.

We can pretty much assume that the 64 crew will be in and Bowser too thanks to his huge head and horns in the fiery shadow of the reveal trailer.

BUTTTT I think Rosa, Dark Pit, Lucina, and Toon Link might get cut. (I'm sensing a BOTW Link as a separate character?)

ANNND I think between Ice Climbers, Wolf and Snake at least 1 maybe 2 of those 3 will return.

And then maybe like 5-10 new characters.
That's my guess and I'm sticking to it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I kind of want the roster to be at about 64, just to feel like we came full circle.

Smash 4 had 58 characters including Mii fighters so I could see about 6-8 more characters added assuming there are no cuts. (Which there probably will be if this is a new entry...)

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
a whole bunch

realistically I’m hoping for around 65 with maaaaaybe 4 or 5 cuts. Newcomers are the prime source of hype, so I think there will be at least 8 newcomers, assuming this is a new game (which I definitelty think is the case)

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I expect we'll see a few cuts. I'll try not to get my hopes too high for 3rd parties to return.
But this is Daddy Sakurai we talkin' about.
I doubt He'll settle for any less than a roster of 75.
Remember when we thought the idea of a 50 character roster in Sm4sh was unfeasible?
After DLC we had a whopping 58 characters to play as.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
We are gonna get some cuts.

I feel the clone trio will be absorbed by their respective original characters and live on as alt costumes.

I don't see Wii Fit trainer staying.

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
This thread has became a speculation machine XD. Also, I think that I think that the roster will be between 68-72 characters. That is a lot, but the one person that has made gone beyond our expectations is Sakuri, who is working one the game. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason the announcement was so close to launch was so that they could reveal a new character every month (in this case new) so that hype can still be a float. Our they might have done it so the hype can essentially unreal.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I wanna say 65-70 characters for this one. I'm not expecting too many newcomers

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It all depends if cuts are happening or not.

If there's no cuts, then I imagine there being like 7-9 newcomers in the game.

Otherwise, there's going to be a number of cuts (maybe like 7-12 cuts) and then they'll be like 70 characters on the final roster barring DLC.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
It all depends if cuts are happening or not.

If there's no cuts, then I imagine there being like 7-9 newcomers in the game.

Otherwise, there's going to be a number of cuts (maybe like 7-12 cuts) and then they'll be like 70 characters on the final roster barring DLC.
You underestimate Daddy Sakurai

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
TBH I think the game will be similar to Smash 4, but with a lot more content and other removed stuff. By that I mean something similar to Splatoon 2's case, where they removed a bunch of old content, but they kept the same engine and the core gameplay. That may increase the number of characters by 3 to 5, excluding clones

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
65-70 + 5-10 DLC Characters

Including at launch
5-10 cuts
5-12 newcomers & formally cut charcters

Oddball

Smash Lord
All of them.

The game will have all the character.

Yes. Even that one you're thinking of now.

Ade117

Smash Rookie
Smash 4 had 50 characters at launch, right?

I think that's a good number to cap off the default roster.

Then add 5-7 characters as DLC.

Magolor

Smash Rookie
Probably Wolf and Ice Climbers are goin to return, plus Inklings, Claus, Daisy, and Bandana Waddle Dee. (And I want Galacta Knight or me for Smash too!). Since is goin to be a new Smash, some caracteres look and atack can change, like Link with is Breath of the Wild look, so, no old Smash compatible Amiibo. That means that theres chance of a new Smash Amiibo generation... Oh, and I hope that theres no DLC, but free updates yes.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
It would be nice to have around 70+ characters, but I have the feeling that we could end up with 65 in the initial roster plus 5 or so more for DLC. I think that if they cut the clone trio and maybe + the miis then that's already 6 cuts that aren't too controversial which = 6 spots for newcomers and deserving returns.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
I'm expecting some third party characters to be cut, Only expecting around 7 new comers plus similar replacements for characters that get cut.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Smash 64 had 12 characters. (Newcomers +12, Net +12)
Melee had 26 characters, no cuts. (Newcomers +14, Net +14)
Brawl had 38 characters, 5 cuts, if you consider Young and Toon Link to be separate characters. (Newcomers +17, Net +12)
Wii U / 3DS had 58 characters, 3 returning veterans from Melee, 5 cuts (Newcomers +21, Net +20)

I expect a bare minimum of 70 characters. My ideal would be probably 84. (7 rows of 12)

Top Bottom