• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many characters total do you imagine there being after all the DLC is added?

Kain6th

Smash Ace
Let's say its a few years down the line and nintendo wants to stop doing dlc characters for this games. How many characters total do you think will make up the final roster in the end?

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
50+, I doubt it will reach 60. Since we found out that there are now only four more roster slots left. So it will be about 54 characters.
I hope more modes than characters, one unexpected character is enough.

Zilexion

Smash Cadet
i don't understand this 'slot' argument, if they need to add room for new characters, they can, and why wouldn't they? it's in their best interest to keep occasionally releasing new fighters to keep everyone interested. they can break the existing barrier down when needed.

Burruni

Smash Hero
50+, I doubt it will reach 60. Since we found out that there are now only four more roster slots left. So it will be about 54 characters.
I hope more modes than characters, one unexpected character is enough.
1) We were at 51 characters before DLC.
2) The "4 more roster slots" were listed after :4mewtwo:&:4lucas:. So that's 6 DLC characters already with slots added as data. 57 on register. The great thing about data added by DLC? They can always add more if needed.

3) I expect 5 Pre-Ballot DLC, :4mewtwo::4lucas::wolf::roypm: + Ryu, and 3-5 Ballot characters across 2016. Some of the biggest contenders: K. Rool, Isaac, Inklings, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Krystal, Captain Toad, Shantae.

Total, 8-10 DLC. 59-61 total.

That's my prediction.

Last edited:

BeBetterGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
BeBetterGamer
I think 15 might be the most we can see added to the game. That was the amount of characters that were added to the Street Fighter IV series over time, and that game had many different iteration (Arcade, Ultra, etc)

I highly doubt there will be a new "edition" of Smash like Street Fighter, but if this game is going to last the entirety of the Wii U life cycle then it behooves Nintendo to keep adding characters. I think that's why they are starting with people who have already been in other versions of the game, so that when brand new faces appear a year or two after the game releases it can keep generating interest and bring new purchases to the game.

So yeah if they plan on adding DLC over five or so years than 15 (which equates to about three characters released per year) would be my guess.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I think 15 might be the most we can see added to the game. That was the amount of characters that were added to the Street Fighter IV series over time, and that game had many different iteration (Arcade, Ultra, etc)
WHOA, 15?? That seems a bit high. I was thinking more along the lines of 4-6 or so... however, I would rather you be right and me be wrong.
3) I expect 5 Pre-Ballot DLC, :4mewtwo::4lucas::wolf::roypm: + Ryu, and 3-5 Ballot characters across 2016. Some of the biggest contenders: K. Rool, Isaac, Inklings, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Krystal, Captain Toad, Shantae.
This thought has crossed my mind. I don't think it'd be cool to make a returning veteran a ballot winner. It just wouldn't be quite as exciting.

Also, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if only 1 character is chosen to be a ballot winner, it WILL be King K. Rool.
I know it's not fair to judge only based on Smashboards, but the King K. Rool's thread has more than twice as many views (as of Monday it was 1,057,225 views) as the second most viewed thread (which is Bandana Dee surprisingly who as of Monday had 403,405 views).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hard to say... could be 56.

Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, and a Smash Ballot character or two... that's 5-6 DLC characters. I think Nintendo is way too generous with 5-6 DLC characters.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
It's never going to stop. Nintendo will tell Sakurai to make more if he wants to see his family unharmed.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hyrule Warriors has now had:

Wizzro
Volga
Cia
Twili Midna
Young Link/Fierce Deity Link
Tingle
Tetra
King of Red Lions

With the 3DS release there's a chance this isn't the end either of DLC characters...so...

...I honestly don't know. Since Smash is a more established success story than Hyrule Warriors, with amiibos that sell like hotcakes to boot, I can't see them doing less than eight. Smash basically prints money.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm pretty sure we're gonna see anywhere from 10-15 characters for DLC...
Just look at all the characters being thrown around speculation...choosing just one or two ballot characters will make a lot of people disappointed...especially if most of the 'spots' are being used for veterans...

BeBetterGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
BeBetterGamer
WHOA, 15?? That seems a bit high. I was thinking more along the lines of 4-6 or so... however, I would rather you be right and me be wrong.

This thought has crossed my mind. I don't think it'd be cool to make a returning veteran a ballot winner. It just wouldn't be quite as exciting.

Also, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if only 1 character is chosen to be a ballot winner, it WILL be King K. Rool.
I know it's not fair to judge only based on Smashboards, but the King K. Rool's thread has more than twice as many views (as of Monday it was 1,057,225 views) as the second most viewed thread (which is Bandana Dee surprisingly who as of Monday had 403,405 views).
I hope I'm wrong and we get 20!!!! But seriously yea I think the potential is there for 15; there are so many characters and franchises they could keep pulling from, and still have room for more for the eventual Smash 5 like 7 years later.

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
I think most people's estimates are above what we can expect. Once we get Lucas, Roy, Ryu, and a Smash ballot character I think we can expect it to be finished. (Not sure why everyone seems to think Wolf is returning) in fact, Roy and Ryu might BE the smash ballot characters. Sakurai is ready to be done and Nintendo is moving on to new games and a new system. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have more than that but I don't see it happening.

Last edited:

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I think most people's estimates are above what we can expect. Once we get Lucas, Roy, Ryu, and a Smash ballot character I think we can expect it to be finished. (Not sure why everyone seems to think Wolf is returning) in fact, Roy and Ryu might BE the smash ballot characters. Sakurai is ready to be done and Nintendo is moving on to new games and a new system. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have more than that but I don't see it happening.
The Smash Ballot was announced (roughly) 2 weeks before Ryu & Roy's files were found... I don't think they based their ballot decisions off of 2 weeks worth of voting. I also don't think Roy or Ryu would ever receive more votes than some of the other contenders who everyone seems obsessive about.

I do, however, agree with you that everyone is WAY overestimating the amount of DLC we'll get. I'm guessing:

1. Mewtwo
2. Lucas
3. Roy
4. Ryu
5. Ballot slot
6. Ballot slot

I can also see them bringing Wolf back... so 7 tops.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sakurai said he was going to make as much as DLC as possible. With that being said, i'm thinking we can get like 12 DLC characters. 6 of whom are veterans and 6 of whom are newcomers. As for my predictions (along with a wish list of future DLC characters)

Veterans: :4mewtwo::4lucas::wolf::roypm::popo::snake:

Newcomers: Ryu, K. Rool, Issac, Impa, Bandanna Dee, and Andy

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Somewhere around ten DLC characters. We've already got Mewtwo and Lucas, so that's a given, and if the Roy and Ryu data means that they're actually planned, that brings us up to four. Wolf seems pretty much guaranteed, I'd think that they'd bring back some more veterans (they had issues with going from Melee to Smash 4, but I don't believe the same issues have come up with Brawl -> Smash 4, so it seems like it would be easier to bring those characters back), and I can't see them only going with one Smash Ballot character given how diverse the options that people are voting for are.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I don't think any more than 7 will happen including Lucas and Mewtwo in that number.

Last edited:

sandslash

Smash Apprentice
I think Mewtwo, lucas, roy, ryu, e3 suprise character krystal, another suprise character, king k rool as ballot, and one more ballot character. so 8 dlc fighters total.

StormC

Smash Hero
Total DLC character count: 6-8 reasonably, 9-10 if you're optimistic, 10+ if you're a crazy person.

My current prediction goes like this:

Pre-ballot: Mewtwo/Lucas/Ryu/Roy/Wolf/Chorus Kids
Post-ballot: K. Rool/Isaac/Inkling

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
DLC: 7-9: Probable 10-11: Maybe 11+: Unlikely

I believe that :3

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I've said at least 58 characters total from the get-go if they do DLC and likely more than that, and I'm sticking to that.

It seems like we're gonna get a 3-5 character pack, and then maybe another pack or two after that.

Honestly, the more clones and veterans, the higher the number so it's all dependent on that.

If after Roy and Wolf (the only two "near locks" for veterans IMO) we get all newcomers that aren't clones, I think 58-62 is the range. If we get a few more veterans or clones after that, we could get into the mid-60's.

Of course, all this is dependent upon how long the games' post-release development goes (I expect until early to mid-2017).

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I expect Smash 4 to gets its own super version on the NX with more characters and stages some point.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I'm expecting about 6 to 9 DLC characters. To be honest, I think we'll all be extremely fortunate to get more than 6.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm going to guess 9-10, obviously counting Mewtwo and Lucas.

Sakurai said he wants to add as much as possible, and what's possible to him may not be possible to us, but given the ballot will last us into 2016 (they have to announce the winners in October, and unless they decide who won before the ballot's up, or start work on the prime contender(s) during the ballot, we're looking at at least a few months of post-ballot development. That's a while, considering we're just now at the halfway point of 2015. Especially for even 2 characters.

And since we already "know" Royu are in development, pre-ballot, that's 4 characters. I expect a couple more non-ballot, and 2-3, maybe 4 ballot to try and make the top people happy. This is all best case, of course.

We'll see. At any rate, I'm super stoked for Sunday.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Well we have what 6 pre ballot already? m2, lucas, ryu, roy, two more. wolf and possibly a promo tie in or a past work.

Then for the ballot picks Im going to say at least 5 ballot characters max.

that brings the character total to...60 character slots total. A nice even number, though i guess if you wanna count the 2 other mii fighters (lol doubt he'd count all 3 as separate), but he could just go for 64 characters total, which is 6 pre and 7 ballot.

I'm just gonna go with 11 dlc charcters total, though the safe bet around here is 6 pre, 3-4 ballot. Which is also fair.

Last edited:
Top Bottom