• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long will Sm4sh last for?

Blixen

Smash Cadet
NNID
FalconCantWin
The Sm4sh scene is looking very healthy at the moment but how long do you guys think it will last and will it outlast Melee? I predict 5 or 4 more years.

pikadrewuniverse

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4270-1564-7855
Until smash5 comes out, maybe a year after. Unless smash5 is a bust or changes the formula to much I don't see sm4sh lasting much long after.

nyansylveon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0619-5060-5926
I think unless smash 5 is way different from melee and sm4sh (which seems like it will be hard to do) both the melee and the Sm4sh competitive scenes will still be going on for a while. But as soon as the Switch shortage is over and Nintendo starts selling Smash 5 the casual scene for sm4sh will flop onto the ground and slowly die.

nyansylveon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0619-5060-5926
If there even is a Smash 5 this generation...
If Nintendo does just drop the Smash series they would be throwing away a lot of money because smash has a really big casual and competitive scenes that don't usually interfere with each other which a lot of games can't do. So it's very unlikely for Nintendo to do that to the Smash fanbase. (plus they would get a ton of hate on all social media)

D

Deleted member

If Nintendo does just drop the Smash series they would be throwing away a lot of money because smash has a really big casual and competitive scenes that don't usually interfere with each other which a lot of games can't do. So it's very unlikely for Nintendo to do that to the Smash fanbase. (plus they would get a ton of hate on all social media)
Who said anything about dropping it?

As far as we know, Sakurai is not coming back to this series, and he seems very adamant about that fact this time around. So the most likely outcome is that they'll rerelease 4 as a port for the Switch, with perhaps some added content. Especially considering how much effort, and money they put into making 4 in the first place.

D

Deleted member

While Melee is perceived superior to Smash 4, this will certainly last longer than Brawl considering we have yet to come up with a match-up chart. Personally, I'm not holding my breath for a new Smash installment to be released (for quite some time at least), so...

Sayonara :kirby:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
It completely depends on what the next Smash game is like and whether or not it exists.

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Let's say there isn't a Smash5. The series as a whole will die down in around 4-5 years and be dead after that. I say that because it is something that we people have no control over: age. As time goes on, it will be harder for some people to play as their hands can't handle the stress from the games if they play it consistently over the years. Not to mention, the reason people play the game so much (Melee for example) is because there is an opportunity to gain some wealth and even popularity, as well as the games are fun to play. The top players are able to get money off the tournaments because they are good and from streaming on places like Twitch and YouTube, thus they will continue to do so because it is like their job. But what about the lower level players? The people not making anything off the games? Sure it being fun and all is a nice distraction, but they eventually have to make a living for themselves and won't have time to go to tournaments. Because of this, the massive portion of the smash community will not be as active anymore and the game will die down in some small regions. The small earnings from small tournaments isn't enough to keep you up either, so you have to reach the best who are very, very far ahead in the skill gap or just not focus on the game as much. I'd say most people who actively go to tournaments for all smash titles are older than 19 or 20, as they probably have a car, their own money to spend on the entry fees, more freedom to go out on their own and do what they want.

Armada even talks about how he will retire in around 4 to 5 years, as Melee will become harder to play as his hands are not able to move as quickly, but also because of boredom.. tired of winning. Something more than the prize pool and large cash prizes from large events. Hungrybox did quit from his main job in order to have more freedom to attend tournaments and practice more without his job getting in the way and cutting time. However, his boss he spoke about in a video said that if he was to come back, he would probably have his position available in case it doesn't go too well (which is wrong as he has made quite a bit from things like GTX).

pikadrewuniverse

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4270-1564-7855
Let's say there isn't a Smash5. The series as a whole will die down in around 4-5 years and be dead after that. I say that because it is something that we people have no control over: age. As time goes on, it will be harder for some people to play as their hands can't handle the stress from the games if they play it consistently over the years. Not to mention, the reason people play the game so much (Melee for example) is because there is an opportunity to gain some wealth and even popularity, as well as the games are fun to play. The top players are able to get money off the tournaments because they are good and from streaming on places like Twitch and YouTube, thus they will continue to do so because it is like their job. But what about the lower level players? The people not making anything off the games? Sure it being fun and all is a nice distraction, but they eventually have to make a living for themselves and won't have time to go to tournaments. Because of this, the massive portion of the smash community will not be as active anymore and the game will die down in some small regions. The small earnings from small tournaments isn't enough to keep you up either, so you have to reach the best who are very, very far ahead in the skill gap or just not focus on the game as much. I'd say most people who actively go to tournaments for all smash titles are older than 19 or 20, as they probably have a car, their own money to spend on the entry fees, more freedom to go out on their own and do what they want.

Armada even talks about how he will retire in around 4 to 5 years, as Melee will become harder to play as his hands are not able to move as quickly, but also because of boredom.. tired of winning. Something more than the prize pool and large cash prizes from large events. Hungrybox did quit from his main job in order to have more freedom to attend tournaments and practice more without his job getting in the way and cutting time. However, his boss he spoke about in a video said that if he was to come back, he would probably have his position available in case it doesn't go too well (which is wrong as he has made quite a bit from things like GTX).
I understand that the current players aren't going to be here forever, the school gap might continue to widen, but the fact that it's a distraction is what makes it game. People want a distraction, games are for distracting us and putting us into a different and sports (and esports) are so we can feel like we're apart of something bigger as we cheer on our favorite player. Plus Smash isn't like other games. Imagine if the latest addition of Street Fighter was the last one Capcom made, the series would probably die in a few years, but that's just the nature of their scene. Street Fighter survives and flourished because they have the support of Capcom. Melee has never had Company support and has survived 15+ years. Melee has established itself as one of the biggest, longest lasting, and most technical fighting esport. Just because there isn't a new version of football coming out every 6-7 years doesn't mean the game dies. New players will come, fans will come and go, sponsors will come and, but the game will survive.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Sm4sh is a game that balances somewhere between Melee and Brawl. It seems a lot of players are satisfied with it. True combos, many viable characters, patches, updated graphics, new tech. I can't say how long Sm4sh will be around, but if there is a fifth installment, then I could see Sm4sh being left behind, though no terribly so. Even if Sakurai doesn't want to be involved in the next Super Smash Bros., he doesn't need to. Nintendo owns the series, not Sakurai. If Sakurai isn't involved, I'd hope Nintendo would seek someone who develops fighting games so we could see another balanced game. I hope patches will continue to be a thing for the series as well. It would be a waste of money if Nintendo dropped the series.

Top Bottom